Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New 2018 BMW X2 SUV revealed

Discussion in 'Auto News & Rumors' started by T_690, Nov 23, 2017.

1. T_690

T_690 Active Member

New 2018 BMW X2 SUV revealed (at http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/bmw/x2/93141/new-2018-bmw-x2-suv-revealed )

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 21.jpg

2. KrisW

KrisW Active Member

I'm sorry, but... "Misano Blue"??? Whatever about using the same shade as the Giulia (it is a nice colour, and BMW has done many azure cars in the past), but to use the same name for it too is a bit much...

The badge on C-pillar looks awkwardly placed. This is the model it's referring to: https://d39a3h63xew422.cloudfront.n...-written-in-code-1476933893623-1200x628-1.jpg
    To explain why I think it worked on the old car and not the new: Imagine the badge was a ball, and you threw it along the curve described by the frame of the window. On the old car, the location of the badge is precisely where it would be. On the new one, it seems to have no relation to any other line on the body.

In size, this isn't far off what I'd expect an Alfa C-CUV to be... 6cm taller than Giulietta, 2 cm wider. However, the small Alfa has a chance of being RWD, whereas this is front-driven (BMW's "UKL" is a FWD architecture, also used for MINI cars)

pumadog and ScramFan like this.
  3. Deckard_Cain

Deckard_Cain Active Member

I doubt any new compact Alfa will be RWD.

4. T_690

T_690 Active Member

So similar to Alfa... Misano Blue, clear copy/paste of Giulietta's [I should have my mouth washed out with soap for using such terms]. But that's trend which was started by Opel. New Astra as Giulietta, Grandland X as Stelvio from the back.

If it's going to be a FWD than I expect from it to be a something between new BMW X1 and this X2.
    If it's RWD than it could be something similar to first generation BMW X1.

One interesting thing. Front overhang on this BMW is around 10 cm shorter compared to Giulietta.

IMO,, that's very likely.

AlfaCuda likes this.
  5. AlfaCuda

AlfaCuda Active Member

They all want a dose of Italian Pizzazz. Mercedes use "Designo" for a color range.

ScramFan likes this.
  6. pumadog

pumadog Active Member

Totally overstyled with ugly outcome. And I like BMW in general.

ScramFan likes this.
  7. KrisW

KrisW Active Member

That is pretty good for a FWD car. Looking at my own Giulietta, I would say that about 25mm of its 955mm front overhang is down to styling, to create the "tri-lobe" effect with the scudetto prominent at the front. Even so, a long nose was always a thing with FIAT Group FWD platforms.

But as UKL originated from a B platform, perhaps FIAT's B-SUV is a better comparison: Renegade is 873mm, which is about 2cm longer than this BMW.

@AlfaCuda Both Alfa and BMW have used racetrack names for colours, but I think this is the first time they've both hit the same "track+colour" combination (previously that shade in BMW was "Laguna Seca Blue")

Actually, German carmakers seem to be frightened of using their own language for cars. Certainly, all the technical equipment acronyms are actually German (ABS,MSR,ESP...), but everything else is in translated into English to remove all trace of German. Personally I like how Alfa started to label its instrument dials in Italian from the 1990s - ("giri x1000","km/h","acqua","olio"); Okay "Umdrehungen" is a little long, but "Wasser" and "Öl" are even less likely to confuse drivers than their Italian equivalents... (Unless they're afraid that some Swede will refill his engine with beer....)

@pumadog Agreed. I thought with the F30 and F32 BMW had finally realised that the opposite of "boring" was not "ugly", but here we are again. Wie sagt man "ugly stick" auf deutsch? It's almost like they think customers won't look past the badge... ;)

#7 KrisW, Nov 24, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    AlfaCuda likes this.
  8. T_690

T_690 Active Member

They went even shorter on new X1:
    https://s33.postimg.org/xr09swrof/image.gif

I didn't know Renegade's front overhang dimensions. For example for Tipo it's 893 mm.

Recipe is simple. Make a FWD platform solely for Inline transverse engines. All engines with exhaust at the back so that they can be tilted slightly backwards because with exhaust at the front they are tilted slightly forward.
    Also styling is important. You directly pointed to tri-lobo and scudetto. With different styling they could achieve shorter front overhang.
    And pedestrian safety rules are part of this equation.

Deckard_Cain and KrisW like this.
  9. pumadog

pumadog Active Member

Ugly stick? Keine Ahnung! Muss ich googlen… Dict.cc: to be hit hard with the ugly stick [coll.] = hässlich wie die Nacht sein [ugs.]idiom :D

Fiats A overhangs are so much shorter than B and C! Why the difference?

10. KrisW

KrisW Active Member

New verb for me: "googlen" :) ... although now I've discovered the "'ist gegooglet' oder 'ist gegoogelt'" controversy :(

As for the overhangs, based on @T_690's post above, I'd guess it's down to engine sizes. The A-family cars can't use anything bigger than the 1.4 FIRE (Engine choices across Ypsilon, Panda and 500 are 0.9 TwinAir, 1.2 FIRE, 1.4 FIRE, 1.3 Diesel).
    The B-SUV cars, on the other hand, can accommodate any current I4 engine up to the 2.0 MultiJet diesel and 2.4 TigerShark.

VW's NSF (Up/Citigo/Mii) cars have an extremely short front overhang, at just 585 mm (35 mm shorter than the rear-engined Renault Twingo), but this car is limited to a single 3-cylinder gasoline engine of 1.0 litres displacement. NSF itself may not survive VW's rationalisation plans, though - it's very hard to justify an entire component set for just 155,000 low-price sales in 2016 (lifetime peak of around 250,000). For comparison, Panda/500/Ypsilon sold 440,000 in Europe between them last year.

11. T_690

T_690 Active Member

@KrisW

And that platform has been introduced with second generation Panda.

Front overhang is connected to platform. Which engines will be used. Next question is about Euro NCAP ratings. Both passive safety and pedestrian impact.

12. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter