AF: Caliber - new caliber owner uk | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Caliber new caliber owner uk

Discussion in 'Compacts: Renegade, Patriot, Compass, Caliber' started by jon e scorr, May 27, 2014.

1. jon e scorr

jon e scorr New Member

Hi Guys

im a new caliber owner in the uk ( england not the ukraine!) , very happy with mine so far, 2008 2.0 sxt sport cvt2, 46k miles, mine still drives like new so hope that last for a while, been driving chrysler and gm products for twenty years now, neon, 2.8 camaro, 3.0 lebaron, z28 camaro (3rd gen), vision, voyager, 300c and now calber, will try and post some photos when i've figured that out. If anyone has a service handbook for the caliber i'd like to find out the sump plug torque (sorry oil pan in american!) and spark plug torque as well, as mine needs a oil change this week?? any help much appreciated.

Also can i still get a allpar window decal?

jon

2. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

I have a 2007 Caliber SXT that was mom's car. She no longer drives. I wasn't sure that I would like the car, but it has grown on me and I have learned to appreciate the utility and economy of the car. I had a Neon before this.
    I have used the 2007 factory service manual here (there is also a body service manual). Many things should be the same as a 2008 model. Spark plug torque should be in chapter 8 (electrical) and sump drain torque should be in chapter 9 (engine). It is a large (131 mb) file:
    http://oskin.ru/pub/chrysler-dodge/manuals/Service%20Manuals/2007_PM_Caliber/
    PM or contact [email protected] for an Allpar sticker.

3. chuckt

chuckt Well-Known Member

Jon, you are unique. Asking for the oil pan plug torque; I will bet that many a Jiffy, Quick...Lube mechanic would not know it. Keep us posted regarding your experience with the vehicle. As I started the thread, I think the size and design of the Caliber would fit a gap in the FCA lineup.
    Somebody must help this fellow regarding the window decal!

4. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

FYI. The oil pan drain plug is 30 ft/lbs (40 Nm).
    The oil filter is 10 ft/lbs (14 Nm).
    The spark plug torque is 20 ft/lbs (27 Nm).
    I see no torque spec given for the spark plug coil screw, so I will just say wrist 'snug'.

5. jon e scorr

jon e scorr New Member

thanks chuckt, i don't know if im unique or just plain strange!! ( my wife say unique?!) i've worked for cummins diesel for 23 years ( assembly 10 years and 13 test) and just used to torquing everything, so just habit and i like to do things as well as i can (by the way- never buy diesel cars-they come with some awful problems!). I changed the oil this morning and you won't believe that the drain plug was LOOSE and had come out about three turns, also the idiot who put the filter on had massively overtightened it and took me ages to get it off.
    Thanks IC for the handbook, actually its 20lb-ft for the sump plug but maybe i'd better check but at least its tight now! the plugs were brilliant and easy to change. Anybody know the lifespan of the WORLD engines camchain?? there's no mention in my drivers handbook of it ever need changing.

If anybody in this forum is in the car repair business i can source for you very good quality infrared paint drying sytems ( made in the uk) or/and UV/IR lamps for just about any drying/ curing/ printing/ process plus for water/air sterilization, see www.scottuv.com or email me at [email protected]

Jon

6. jon e scorr

jon e scorr New Member

Just wondering if people think the caliber with vvt engine and cvt transmission is the most advanced 'ECONOMY CAR' chrysler have ever made? just driving mine today and enjoying it more everyday, last saturday it got quite a long run and achieved 34.8 mpg for the day, cruising at 76mph on motorway and 60 on A-roads ( think you would say two-lane!), thats great consumption for a large (by uk standards) petrol car, just a bit better than my wifes old a160 merc, for me this is the best chrysler product i have ever owned!

Jon

7. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

The drivetrain is 'state of the art' with VVT, active intake air control valves and CVT. It is ~400 lbs heavier than the Neon it replaced and a little less aerodynamic, but gets equivalent fuel economy because of the advanced technologies.
    I have gotten ~38 mpg (US) at a steady 55-60 mph on the highway (about what the stick-shift Neon got).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_World_engine

8. jon e scorr

jon e scorr New Member

thanks IC, do you know the lifespan of the camchain? I've never heard anybody mention it on here, so i guess it doesn't need changing? by the way the neon was my least favorite chrysler product, poor ride quality/ performance etc ( auto though) and two head gaskets in two years didn't help ( not the cars fault as the garage didn't do it proplerly first time i don't think). Its surprising that there are not any high mileage calibers on this site, on carsurvey.com there's one that did 100k in its first year ( owned by a courier) and if you search youtube there's one that has done 520k miles (cvt as well) ( although they don't give any proof!). In England there is a few that have done 70- 120k miles, so i think the cvt is quite sound as well.

Jon

9. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

There is no scheduled maintenance for the chain or any internal engine or transaxle parts for that matter. Not like a timing belt that needs periodic (~100K miles) replacement.
    The chain 'guides' may wear faster than a hardened steel chain on any chain-drive accessory. Be attuned to any unusual noises from the engine. Noise is many times the first symptom of wear.
    The water pump is belt-driven outside the timing case which makes it easier to service if and when necessary.
    The CVT is basically a chain-drive also, albeit a very special chain. The JATCO CVT has a very good service record.
    Durability-wise, I have heard no bad news with the powertrains on these cars.

10. rkmdogs

rkmdogs Member

There were early reports of slippage on the CVT early models (2006-07) but Chrysler engineers reprogrammed it and solved those issues. We had no CVT problems with our 2008 model.---- except the drive-by-wire at the end !

jon e scorr likes this.