Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New clutch

Discussion in 'Repairs, Maintenance, Help' started by jondickson, Apr 20, 2017.

1. jondickson

jondickson Active Member

71 satellite. 3 speed slant Six. Just put a new clutch and pressure plate on my Plymouth. The clutch isn't engaging and letting me put it in gear. I've adjusted it completely in and out. Still not enough. Do I need to do something different with the linkages?

2. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

Describe how pedal movement feels. Is there a slight bit of free movement before you feel the spring pressure of the clutch pressure plate?

3. jondickson

jondickson Active Member

It feels honestly like it did prior. Maybe a little more smoother. But when you go to put in gear it grinds.

4. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

Simply means disc is not fully releasing. Normally caused by disc in backwards, linkage incorrect, or disc warped. Have seen fingers not correct but possible.

5. jondickson

jondickson Active Member

The clutch disc could only go one way when installed. The other way pushed it away from the crank. How do I check linkages? What next.

6. jondickson

jondickson Active Member

I'm hoping it's just linkages. Everything else seemed correct when installed.

7. jondickson

jondickson Active Member

Ok. This might help. I can put it in gear while not running. Push the car and it won't move. I can push in on clutch and it can be pushed easily. This grinding is only when motor is runnin

8. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Throwout bearing damaged or incorrectly installed?

9. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

Typical action of a clutch not releasing. Can you see in where the throw out touches the pressure plate? Should touch all fingers at the same time.

10. jondickson

jondickson Active Member

I installed it exactly the way the other was. there was really only one way to install it so the clamps went in behind the fork. Does this mean I will have to remove the transmission?

11. jondickson

jondickson Active Member

I
    I haven't looked at the fingers closely yet. Sure hope I don't have to remove the trans. Thought I had it all perfect

12. jondickson

jondickson Active Member

Picture of the old one. I installed new one same way

Attached Files:

13. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

Only shows throw out bearing. Not plate.

14. jondickson

jondickson Active Member

I'll try to get some pics this afternoon of it underneath. Post them later.

15. dana44

Ad-Free Member

How does the pedal feel? Where is the pedal location when you start feeling pressure, and where is the pedal location when the car is in gear and letting it out starts to move the car? This adjustment should be about one third the distance from the floor, if near or above halfway the clutch isn't adjusted tight enough, too much play, so the clutch isn't disengaging enough. Check through the linkage for slop and worn bushings and metal on metal wear. I'm thinking everything was installed correctly, just not adjusted properly to disengage the clutch. Heck, the clutch fork itself may be worn, so check the pivot on that.

jondickson likes this.
  16. jondickson

jondickson Active Member

Check this video on you tube out. It's not the best video but it might give you an idea. If you need a better shot let me know. The linkage with the old clutch worked fine.

View: https://youtu.be/AeQCIx9ylhU

17. jondickson

jondickson Active Member

18. jondickson

jondickson Active Member

I've only started it in neutral. Tried to get it in gear while running but it just grinds. I think this video I've posted will help show what it's doing.

19. jondickson

jondickson Active Member

It goes on gears fine without it being started. Just when started it won't go. Grinds.

20. dana44

Ad-Free Member

At 1:16 there is an adjustment for the clutch pressure to disengage. I think the pressure needs to be increased at this point. The reason it is grinding, I think, is because the old clutch was thinner and would disengage more, now that you have a new clutch the tolerance is tighter and doesn't disengage as far, thus catches and is grinding. All the pivots appear to be tight, so this is the point of adjustment. Try that, make more clearance between clutch and pressure plate.