AF: New Dodge Avenger? | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Dodge Avenger?

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by ajbwalk, Jul 17, 2013.

1. ajbwalk

ajbwalk Active Member

2. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Ineresting article. How does one take architecture from a Jeep and a Dart and make it into one? This will be interesting to say the least.

3. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

I'm thinking "barracuda" is going to be the "new avenger". AWD v6.. sounds like the old Stealth, and an appropriate replacement for the Avenger. JMO though.

That said; there is still a bit of hype growing about the 200, since it's supposed to show off the design-direction for Chrysler brand.

4. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

I have been saying for months that there will be a new Dodge Avenger -- the rear drive version, using an adapted 200 platform, shared with Alfa... and yes, this is the car that used to be called Barracuda...

5. abgwin

abgwin Well-Known Member

I'm still curious about whether "D-RWD" is actually the existing AWD but biased toward the rear wheels or a new architecture (presumably based on CUSW platform/hard points) with longitudinal engine and 'proper' RWD.

6. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

@Dave - i never did get around to finessing the 'Cuda did I? o_O

7. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

Ha ha, no... but we should talk privately about that...

suzq044 likes this.
  8. Seagondollar

Seagondollar Active Member

One of the first Mopars I've looked forward to since the 300M.

9. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Allpar Legacy

Sounds good to me!

10. unverferth

unverferth Well-Known Member

The Avenger has gained and continues to gain a lot of 'street cred' these days.
    Hopefully it's not going away like first thought.

11. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

12. bumonbox

bumonbox Say no to kool-aid
    Supporter

To me, the "Barracuda" never made sense. The Challenger has gained momentum, and now takes a solid slice of the sales pie that is that market. There is certainly no need for 2 niche vehicles in that market. Not to mention, had they used that name. Well, that would have just been unecessary.

FAR more logical is a car that is not such a small niche. and a D-RWD sedan has far more sales potential. The only risk I see is stealing some Charger sales. But, as long as they keep the charger a large RWD car with a V8 option, it should maintain it's own identity with out trouble. If they can bring this D-RWD car to the market, especially at reasonable midsized prices - I very strongly suspect that midsized sedan shoppers not feeling like making the jump to a fullsized vehicle, and unable to afford the full price will hop on board. I agree, this is something worth getting excited about.

13. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

I live in Challenge central, seems like there are more than new Mustangs!! This may motivate me into doing a change. Darts are scarce around here, or maybe the Cudavenger. :D !!

14. fenderbass

fenderbass Well-Known Member

well, they have been going retro with names as of lately. i'm not sure if they [Dodge] have a good mid-sized name plate to choose from...Polara just doesn't have that ring to it and it's more associated as a larger car.

i really did like the name Avenger. it will be interesting to see if they would keep the name or go a different route.

15. Paul J. Reed

Paul J. Reed Active Member

It's too bad Mistu is using "Lancer", its historical on multiple levels...

16. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Avenger history;
    After the battle of Midway, where the American Dauntless dive bomber was decimated by Japanese forces, a new dive bomber was needed. It was named Avenger, in memory of the carnage inflicted upon Naval Aviators, by the Japanese.
    It helped end the War.
    Fast forward 55 years and the Dodge Avenger was thought to be able to stem the tide of Japanese imports. After a false start, it's just now hitting its stride. If the new replacement is RWD and really the "Barracuda" code name, then the Avenger name should live.

RVC and burtstwins like this.
  17. fargo59

fargo59 Well-Known Member

i honestly think the avenger name should stay. why anger the die hards with the cuda name? its a great code name though. in all reality those 3.6/6speed avengers are nice little rockets! with 1/4 mile ET's in the mid 14's, they're on par with a hemi LX/LC

18. fenderbass

fenderbass Well-Known Member

You know your aviation history, sir :)

The British Navy badly needed a replacement for their obsolete torpedo bomber biplanes (specifically the swordfish). That all-metal monoplane was named the Barracuda. It had a little bit of a widow-maker reputation.

But yes, my choice would be to keep "avenger." It's just a good, aggressive name.

19. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

Plus,the name Avenger has a natural appeal to younger buyers...

There was a little movie made about them last year. They need a Captain America special edition of the Avenger.

20. tomaz

tomaz Well-Known Member

Why not Dodge Coronet?? lol