AF: New Dodge Commercial: Family Motto | Page 3 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Dodge Commercial: Family Motto

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by DrMark, Oct 2, 2020.

1. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

It’s a Dodge commercial. I’m really not sure what people are expecting....violins playing, new age art, and people sitting around eating smelly cheese? Not really their image.....

finc.jb likes this.
  2. Milkman123

Milkman123 Active Member

Indifferent to the commercial. Advertising cars most people won't and or can't buy.

They're really painting themselves as a boi racer brand.

Dodge makes expensive tire smoking cars most people can't buy. Understood.

3. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

Sounds just like Detroit too

4. djsamuel

Level 2 Supporter

I could hardly understand what those kids were saying.

5. BrianinMpls

BrianinMpls Active Member

View: https://youtu.be/Az_gECAGXvE

2020 version,

Starts out with a young black man finishing his 2nd shift Tech job, walks out to his Charger RT Blacktop, throws his laptop duffle bag on to the front seat, buckles up, fires it up.

Pan to the dual exhaust rumbling, then shifter to drive, then back outside as he pulls out of the company parking lot with just a bit of chirp from the rear wheels.

Back inside as he tunes to his synced smartphones music with Robert Johnson’s Key to the Highway and hits the on ramp.

Cut away to the rear-view mirror, flashing lights, right turn signal to the shoulder.

Ford SUV Hwy patrol Officer gets out, show feet walking up, the Charger driver rolls window down and puts his hands on the top of the wheel, nervously looks in the side mirror.

Black female officer leans in, looks around inside and down front to back the outside left and starts with “Son, where’d you get this race car from?”……..

After some back and forth about black rims, black trim, hood bulge, glowing instrument panels, and that “race car” rumbling Hemi, she looks back at her rig, jerks her thumb and smiling says, “Everything seems in order…..however………..can’t wait til we can replace ‘that’ with one of these………..have a nice night young man”, The charger guy smiles, “yes Ma’am”, shifter to drive, left turn signal, and accelerates away.

Besides the Prius crowd, offendable?

6. DrMark

DrMark Well-Known Member

I have enjoyed reading the commentary and opinions in this thread... very entertaining.

I laughed at the commercial... it's silly/stupid fun, just like the movie it's based on.

Devildodge and finc.jb like this.
  7. eastcoaster

eastcoaster Well-Known Member

I think quite a number of people here are missing the point:
    • Dodge, to its credit, has very clear positioning in the U.S. market now. It's MEANT to be a brand that appeals to those who always fantasized about being young/"immature" in their vehicle choices, but never could be, usually until later (35+?). These are people who inherited abused, 15+ year old family trucksters or DGCs while in high school or college and now can finally get a brash, "fun" car. That Corvette ad was apt.
    • Nobody who buys a Hellcat cares about saving the environment with it. Their daily driver will be a Prius if that's something they care about. And there should be a different FCA/Stellantis brand for that (Chrysler?). Dodge should be about brashness and power and fun. The fact that FCA doesn't have a compelling answer to address those seeking environmental responsibility is a major corporate weakness, but one of the major points of having multiple brands is that you can target different cohorts. You don't have to be all things to all people. Don't get me wrong...Dodge desperately needs more vehicles, too. But all Dodges should ALL have some sort of brashness/raw performance capability/image, no matter their size or price point.
    • Nobody who is interested in an Audi is cross-shopping a Dodge, nor vice versa. And that's fine. Both are well-targeted brands. There's a LOT to like about many Audis. Just as there's a lot to like about Dodges. If FCA wants to target Audi in the U.S. market (which I assume is the target market of this ad), then they may need to use some combination of the Chrysler and Alfa brands. Which desperately need more product, too.
    • I think that some have the wrong impression of NASCAR's viewers. For a while, I served on a corporate board. Our organization was a significant sponsor of a couple NASCAR events. I generally was against that sponsorship. Why? Because the upper third (at least) of NASCAR's viewers are QUITE well off and QUITE well educated. And they are NOT all in the south, and they often enjoy the law-evading, bootlegging historical image. As a result, NASCAR was actually an effective tool for hitting affluent viewers, so using them was EXPENSIVE from an advertising perspective. My organization's target market was NOT that group...we were really targeting the middle third of their viewership, and we weren't selling anything car-related, so the theme of NASCAR wasn't really spot-on for us. There were plenty of cheaper ways for us to target that group specifically. But I can see how NASCAR would be a PERFECT place to advertise a Hellcat or a $60K Ram. And the thing about running a Talladega Nights ad is that you don't even have to sponsor a race team to get that NASCAR association...
    • FCA needs to sell a lot (quantity-wise) of $30K Chargers and Challengers to be able to make the high-end Hellcats. And they need the profitability of the Hellcats to make the $30K Chargers profitable for the company as well. If this ad sells a $30K Charger to someone fantasizing about Hellcats, FCA won't be too upset.

Devildodge, AvengerGuy and tlc like this.
  8. AHBGuru

AHBGuru Active Member

It's a light-hearted commercial, and is in keeping with the crazy fun coming out of Dodge.

Why everything needs to be injected with politics is beyond me. To my friends on the left, try to enjoy it for what it is. To my enemies on the right, grow up and enjoy it for what it is.

My favorite, however, was this one:

View: https://youtu.be/17GmFqKWiBI

9. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

You know I could have sworn it wasn't a cop car that split them in that commercial, but a Viper.
    Edit: I knew I wasn't crazy. I've never seen that cop car version.

View: https://youtu.be/t6-Dy5GtOkk

10. Milkman123

Milkman123 Active Member

Ps. I've not once nor will I ever shop a vehicle based on advertising.

I find all car commercials these days frustrating. They manage to tell you almost zero technical information.

11. HanksHemi

HanksHemi Active Member

As a native born son of the South, I feel compelled to jump in on the Southern thing. First of all not offended by the ad. I know people that fit that profile and yes a few down the family tree could also fit the ad profile.

Now lets define the South by geography.
    WVA, KY and VA that's North South.
    NC, SC, GA, TN that's True South.
    Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana that's Deep South.
    Texas, well that's West South kinda a stand alone "don't mess with me South".

Just like where you live, here in The Palmetto State we have good people all genders, races, ethnicity's, cultures and incomes. Some are just funnier than others. Like folks from India (former Governor & UN Ambassador) trying to be all Southern during the Irmo Okra Festival or the Sally Chitterlings (Chitlin) Strut. If you don't know don't ask. The good stuff turnip greens, collard greens, ham hocks, black eyed peas (not the music group) BBQ, country ham, red eye gravy, shrimp, shrimp & grits, grits, pork rinds. Fine food would include alligator tail, boudan balls, po-boys, frog legs, chicken & waffles, stuffed chicken wings. The Southern food list is just endless.

My personal fav is Coke/peanuts. Take an ice cold coke in a glass bottle if you can find if not plastic will pass, Take a big hit to draw down the drink. Take a pack of planters salted p-nuts and pour into Coke. I will admit it sound strange and it is an acquired taste, but delicious on a hot summer day.

Attached Files:

#51 HanksHemi, Oct 8, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
    77 Monaco Brougham likes this.
  12. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Because, as with politics, most people make decisions based on emotion, not reason... which is why the best way to listen to a debate is over the radio, or by reading the transcript. It strips much of the emotion out.

Those who make decisions based on reason rather than emotion won't be as swayed by commercials anyway... though AMC/Jeep sure tried for a while.

AvengerGuy likes this.
  13. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

Your food list has just made me ravenously hungry...which is not a good thing, since it's 4 in the afternoon and I haven't had any breakfast or lunch.

Anyway...this dyed-in-the-wool (or...is it cotton?:D)...Yankee...(Sweet Jesus!...NOT the Baseball Team:D)...would love to nominate an item to add to your list of tasty Southern foodstuffs.

Truth be told...It's something of an inconvenience to drive out of my way to get this...but every last drop is worth it:

[​IMG]

HanksHemi likes this.
  14. HanksHemi

HanksHemi Active Member

15. FreeLantz

FreeLantz Well-Known Jeeper

I remember thinking the "That thing gotta Hemi" ads were dumb, but they sure worked.

I guess you could say this ad is dumb too. The movie it's based on was dumb. But it's funny and memorable, and hits Dodge's target audience right where they're at.

Maybe in this period of hyper-sensitivity over so many things and downright scary news coming at us every day, an ad like this is what we - and Dodge - could use more of.

Or maybe it's just dumb.

eastcoaster likes this.
  16. Cdnautowrkr444

Cdnautowrkr444 Well-Known Member

eastcoaster and djsamuel like this.
  17. NWbyNW

NWbyNW Active Member

By far my favorite Dodge commercial as well! Love it. Never seen it with the police car though, I like that one better than the one I've only ever seen with the Dodge Viper. They could bring this ad back because the cars look the same, lol!

I really liked the Dodge Bro's ad campaign and was sad when they ended it. They could have done so much more with it still. It barely scratched the surface.