AF: New Dodge Crossover | Page 4 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Dodge Crossover

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by NWbyNW, Sep 23, 2019.

1. JKU12

JKU12 Well-Known Member

Let me clarify one thing. If FCA has a need for something Journey size to fit into Dodge portfolio that is a little more unified with the rest of the lineup, they could call it Journey. On the other hand, and I know you're much more knowledgeable on this than I am, it would seem a company can make a splash coming out with something all new. Look at the buzz Kia Telluride is getting. As opposed to, here's a flashy new Journey that barely resembles the decontented Journey no one has written about in years.

I agree, they are responsible for letting Journey die on the vine. It didn't need to. Going down that path was a waste. But we're there now.

2. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

Key difference though: Telluride and Pallisade didn’t exist before. After a long delay, Kia and Hyundai are just now getting into proper 3-row CUVs.

We don’t see Hyundai and Kia dropping the names Tucson, Santa Fe, Sportage or Sorento, either. They view Telluride and Pallisade as incremental business, and as their new flagship vehicles with which to retain their most loyal —and profitable— customers within their brands.

While Dodge may not see the need to fill a vehicle the size of Journey, FCA sure does. The fact that Journey doesn’t seem to fit Dodge’s new brand flavor is, again, FCA’s own doing. That in itself is a sign that FCA has defined the Dodge brand too narrowly to remain sustainable.

#62 aldo90731, Sep 25, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    HotCarNut, JavelinAMX, jclick and 7 others like this.
  3. Powdered Toast Man

Powdered Toast Man Move along, nothing to see here

Then again, FCA has a proven track record of running nameplates into the ground with discounts and incentives. If you need a case study on what happens when they try and introduce a much better vehicle wearing the same nameplate as a rental discount queen look no further than 200. Journey has already been ruined as a sub prime nameplate. Any attempt to sell a new "Journey" with any sort of margin would fail. Maybe if FCA would stop doing this sort of thing they wouldn't be constantly rebranding new vehicles. It's like a snake eating its own tail.

NWbyNW, Chebby7, Zagnut27 and 4 others like this.
  4. aldo90731

The thing is, most nameplates have more equity left in them than executives think.

Alan Mulally understood this better than most: he retained old and tired names like Focus and Explorer and reused them on completely revamped products --and was able to make Ford the number 1 selling brand in the US...even ahead of Toyota.

PS - 200 is probably an exception; the name itself never really got to mean much to anyone.

5. Mopar392

Mopar392 Well-Known Member

The current Journey might not fit Dodge’s image of performance, but if the rumored Journey’s replacement becomes RWD, it could then fit with the right drivetrains. Though, there is also who is saying Journey’s replacement will stay FWD and join Chrysler’s lineup.

aldo90731 likes this.
  6. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

Only after sales and plant utilization percentages begin to fall will be when they try to plug holes. They are currently building a much hyped new plant and yet up to three plants are or will be under used. Maybe their plan is to hope people have short term amnesia, then pop in with a new Dodge or Chrysler name. It could work I suppose, but letting Caravan name die is just wrong.

aldo90731 likes this.
  7. vipergg

vipergg Well-Known Member

Mini Durango !!!!

8. aldo90731

Or rename the Journey replacement Durango, and the current Durango the Grand Durango...LOL

vipergg, gforce2002 and JKU12 like this.
  9. aldo90731

Could also represent Toluca...
    [​IMG]

10. JKU12

JKU12 Well-Known Member

My new vehicle name Dodge Grand Durango Citadel Anodized Platinum. Longest name ever!

Adventurer55, UN4GTBL and aldo90731 like this.
  11. Mopar392

Mopar392 Well-Known Member

Or they could just bring back Magnum nameplate

12. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Magnum, like Pacifica, wasn’t around long enough to rot on the vine like some others, so it absolutely could be a good choice.

13. tomaz

tomaz Well-Known Member

There is a cult following just as large as the other LXs

Zagnut27 likes this.
  14. serpens

serpens Well-Known Member

You laugh, but my partner drives a Land Rover Range Rover Autobiography. I thank god he ran out of money before trying to purchase the Land Rover Range Rover SVAutobiography Dynamic. Too many names! lol

KrisW and Donte Lindsey like this.
  15. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

For a while I thought they would apply the Caravan name to the crossover based on Grand Commander, assuming that ever comes over. They may be waiting, though, to see if the Voyager boosts Chrysler minivan sales. If not, Dodge Caravan will move over and replace Voyager, IMHO, and Journey will end up on something else - maybe a Chrysler Journey.

Really, though, if Chrysler Voyager fails, they may well decide that the Chrysler name itself is poisoned.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  16. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

I agree, but this is an extremely cheap way to give them another model. And since it was done that way, expectations can't be all that high. Half-hearted is the way I'd describe it.

Donte Lindsey likes this.
  17. Scottina06

Scottina06 Active Member

It seems the latest plan is to continue building the current durango at jnap along side the new WL atleast through 2022my

ScramFan likes this.
  18. XRT2SRT

XRT2SRT Well-Known Member

I thought, surely that there'd be a second generation NITRO given the emerging power train development s at the time...lamenting.

19. rmtodd

rmtodd Well-Known Member

Fixed it.

upload_2019-9-27_19-22-45.png

wtxiceman likes this.
  20. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

What is seen cannot be unseen. Owwww...my eyes....