AF: New Dodge design direction? | Page 4 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Dodge design direction?

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Dave Z, Mar 25, 2020.

1. turbonetic

turbonetic Active Member

After doing work for Toyota I got a sense how they were doing it, all their cars seemed light on features compared to everyone else, and in most cases they were priced even higher which made me think they were keeping them light on features (more features in a dart than a 4runner limited) and spending the money on higher quality parts instead. Ok great, the Toyota is reliable and will last 500,000 miles but it costs $50K and doesn't even have a heated steering wheel or remote start, the infotainment is laughingly terrible and it may or may not even have a place to plug your phone in.

My thoughts are FCA (and GM / Ford) spend the money on content to wow you during the test drive and in the comparisons. You know how hard it would be to test drive a 4runner, a grand cherokee and a wrangler.....and still pick the 4runner??? I think the Jeeps would win 9 times out of 10.

BUT, since FCA has been ever increasing the prices they could probably afford to do both the quality and the features or at least enough to get them off the bottom of the quality rankings.

Tony K and UN4GTBL like this.
  2. jsucha

jsucha Well-Known Member

In the warmer climates of the country where rust hasn't killed these cars, this Chevy body style seems to be the favorite of those who like to put 26"+ wheels on their cars, along with some kind of lift. I'll bet they handle like a rubber band with these 2 combinations.

3. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Toyota has made safety features standard on many vehicles. Even the plainest Corolla has a suite of safety features that FCA charges extra for, if they are even offered. Obviously the plan Toyota has followed works, especially for the average non-enthusiast buyer.

jerseyjoe, cdjr77 and aldo90731 like this.
  4. Julian1V

Julian1V Member

Marv: Modern cars - they all look like electric shavers.

jerseyjoe likes this.
  5. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

Quality takes many forms: Reliability and Durability are its most basic, most fundamental forms; Fit and Finish, Attention to Detail, and Craftsmanship are more emotional, more aspirational forms.

The beauty of having a reputation for “reliability” is that the marketing messaging and positioning is the exact same whether it is for a compact car, a midsize SUV, a full-size truck, and every thing in between. Consumers want “reliability” when the economy is up or down, when fuel prices are increasing or decreasing. Reliability is a basic expectation whether it is a $15,000 or a $150,000 car.

In so many words, “reliability” is the 1st Commandment in durable goods. “Safety” and “value” being 2nd and 3rd.

By contrast, everything else in automotive is product-specific and therefore relative: efficiency, practicality, design, performance, comfort, etc. These change according to the size, shape and role of the vehicle type.

So when a vehicle owner needs to trade in a compact car for a compact SUV, Toyota doesn’t need to change its message or its positioning. If someone gets a promotion and wants to buy something more expensive s/he doesn’t need to leave Toyota to find reliability somewhere else. If the economy tanks or fuel prices go up, Toyota’s “reliability” positioning remains just as relevant across the entire market.

This is part of the reason Toyota retains so many customers, and why every year Toyota can sell 150,000 4Runners with archaic 4-liter engines and 5-speed transmissions, and a combined 400,000 Tacomas and Tundras with cramped interiors and outdated, poorly calibrated 6-speed automatics.

Tony K, page2171 and valiant67 like this.
  6. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

1957 Fury Coupe, 1954 Plymouth sedan.

cdjr77 likes this.
  7. valiant67

valiant67 ...

That paragraph states exactly why NOT having a core brand is a very risky position.
    A Toyota buyer is likely to buy another Toyota when changing market segments, say from car to SUV.
    But expecting a Chrysler car buyer to migrate to a Jeep SUV increases the chance you lose that customer.

8. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

Indeed. Many on here are likely to feel that it’s no big deal to jump from Dodge to Jeep or from Jeep to Ram.

The thing is, for the average household, Toyota is minimizing the opportunity for “erosion” by keeping customers within one brand.

MoparJoe, jimboy, page2171 and 2 others like this.
  9. Bajanbuoy

Bajanbuoy Durango Dave!
    Level 2 Supporter

I guess we all missed the party when they served the Kool-aid that Chrysler and Dodge didn't need a full line of vehicles.

I was perplexed when I first read about that as the direction SM wanted to go... And then I was shocked when Allparians began to agree and support that ludicrosity (yes, it's a word, and YES, I made it up). ;-)

10. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

Take my dad. We had a pair of Plymouth Voyagers growing up. In 2001 where was Plymouth? He went to GMC. When it came to replacing the GMC recently he looked at the Durango but he didn't need all that size, but he wanted to tow and he didn't want a pickup. He does not like the look of Jeeps despite the Grand Cherokee being closely related to the Durango. He and my wife share the same mindset that for the price, you don't get as much in a Jeep as you do in other vehicles. He went to a CX-9 and my wife to an Outback.

11. Bajanbuoy

Bajanbuoy Durango Dave!
    Level 2 Supporter

What? A 4-speed, 4-cylinder Journey wasn't available??? Hahaha...

Coincidentally, my Durango was in the shop for repair (broken bolt on passenger side exhaust, causing hemi-tick and fluttering on start-up, which was covered under the 5/60 powertrain), and the loaner was the above named 4-speedm 4-cylinder 2015 Journey.... Which I non-affectionately called the "Gutless Wonder"... My 2014 Kia Sorento, purchased in 2013, which the wife still drives is "WORLD's" better... The only thing that vehicle is good at is UConnect... Getting into that thing gave me depression... cause I wanted to find a cliff to drive off every time I got in it. :confused::eek::D

12. 55Plaza

55Plaza Well-Known Member

Back in the 70s my family & I'd play the game of identifying cars & trucks as they came towards us - and I could win most every time .. then came the 90s and playing the game with my nieces & nephews the game was much harder. In fact in the 70s Motor Trend would post pictures of a car bumper, hub cap, turn signal light, etc. and it was easy to identify what car was what. Then in the 90s it was a side shot of the full car and it was much more difficult.

13. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

The 53/54 are perfect..imagine one with a 3.3 or even a 2.4.

GaryS and jerseyjoe like this.
  14. jerseyjoe

Had a 2.2 Shelby, no turbo, modifid carb, heads, cam, headers. I was thinkin just that in a 54 Plymouth coupe, about the same weight as he Shelby. The Plymouth had 5 mph bumpers, tested that on another 54. You can't even pushstart a new car with another. Quite a few times we would push each other to a gas station.

GaryS likes this.
  15. humdrum

humdrum Well-Known Member

The post from RGilles showing the concept, I think as I suggested in the related "News" article, would be a nice rif on a future Viper with the signature crosshair bar in the air opening. ...just a thought.

jerseyjoe likes this.
  16. MoparJoe

MoparJoe Well-Known Member

No viper ..

17. jerseyjoe

Actually a lot of imports come standard with more safety features. Bacically using tiny bits of silycone propery on a substrate properly adds little cost. Looking at recent automobiles most of the hardware s there already. Was a time that Chrysler was at the eading edge of this. Big contributor to the space race. Sort of like where Elton Musk is now.

page2171 likes this.
  18. jerseyjoe

No longer on Allpar?

19. turbonetic

turbonetic Active Member

The 2015 dart had more safety features than the 2015 corolla though....

AvengerGuy likes this.
  20. cdjr77

cdjr77 Well-Known Member

Rite down my ally. I had a 57 Belvedere hardtop and a 53 plymouth club coupe.

jerseyjoe likes this.