AF: New evidence for a FWD Chrysler 300 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New evidence for a FWD Chrysler 300

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Dave Z, May 6, 2016.

1. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Years ago, Volkswagen made a top of the line car, the Phaeton, and a crossover, the Touareg. When I reviewed them back to back, I realized they were essentially the same — same powertrains, same chassis, same interior — except that one was a tall wagon and one was a sedan. For years, there have been rumors that Chrysler was considering a large front wheel drive sedan to replace the current Chrysler 300 — something along […]
    Read the whole post here.

jerseyjoe likes this.
  2. flffddy

flffddy Well-Known Member

So if there's not capacity, will they just not make a new 300?

3. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Since they'd need to be engineering it now, I guess that was a dumb thing to write.

4. Morty

Morty Well-Known Member

That is certainly food for thought:)

jerseyjoe and Medicin-Man like this.
  5. Archknight

Archknight Well-Known Member

If they went back to FWD models for Chrysler I don't think many would actually notice or care. The 300 gained its audience based on looking like a Bentley basically. If a similar formula is applied to a newer model with modern engines and upscale interior people will flick to it as well. The thing that concerns me is that they aren't letting Chrysler maintain its near premium status and wanting to push it down to mainstream.

MoparJoe, Mopartial, Ian and 3 others like this.
  6. erhemi

erhemi Well-Known Member

guyverfanatic and jerseyjoe like this.
  7. Max Wedge

Max Wedge Well-Known Member

Sounds more like they are unsure yet considering that it will either share Pacifica parts, Charger parts or Maserati parts. That being said the Pacifica does seem to be the way to go if they choose to do this though I would prefer it share parts with the Charger as it currently does myself.

UN4GTBL and XRT2SRT like this.
  8. hotmach

hotmach Not an insider !

Taking 300 out of Brampton indicates what ?
    Will they, or how will they utilize the plant.

9. MoparJoe

MoparJoe Well-Known Member

Plot thickens to where it will be built but my money is still on Fwd.

MoparDanno, jerseyjoe and Mike V. like this.
  10. oh2o

Level III Supporter

I had mentioned, maybe a year or so ago, can't seem to find the post, that next gen 300 (LY) would be FWD/AWD.

11. XRT2SRT

XRT2SRT Well-Known Member

I remember your post but gosh, I hope it stays RWD....

UN4GTBL and Jeepnut like this.
  12. XRT2SRT

XRT2SRT Well-Known Member

The CHRYSLER brand needs a fullsize premium car to give it some kind of an edge over its direct competition...Let FIAT (Nee Plymouth) handlenthe FWD full-size range.

13. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Make it a true AWD, which is what the more premium brands have/do. If they are going to go backwards with the 300 to FWD, they need to figure a way to get the Hemi/V8 power under the hood. Chrysler isn't midlevel class, it is supposed to be the American premium brand above Dodge. If they think taking a 300 and going FWD with a V6 and not having a 400-425hp turbo/supercharged under the hood, they are sadly going the direction of Fiat, and that's not a good direction. The magazines will very quickly point out it is a minivan platform and little else for the price.

Mopartial likes this.
  14. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

The possibility of FWD shouldn't be news to anyone. Neither should the potential tie in with the Pacifica. ;)

Mike

#14 Mike V., May 6, 2016
    Last edited: May 6, 2016
  15. dana44

Ad-Free Member

I know that Mike, but at the same time, if there aren't enough changes physically to the platform for the 300, it is not going to be accepted well.

16. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

I'm sorry, but where is that coming from? There is nothing to support an argument of that nature.

Of course they are going to make changes to make a sedan out of the minivan... Just like they would make changes if they were making a CUV on the platform.

There could be several versions of the "platform" used for the minivan... Just like there are multiple versions is the small and compact/midsize car platform and even the large car platform.

For example, Dart, 200, and Cherokee all share a platform but they each have unique suspension components and dimensions to meet the required program specifications.

Mike

#16 Mike V., May 6, 2016
    Last edited: May 7, 2016
  17. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Yeah, just like it was always noted the PT Cruiser was basically a Neon, right?

UN4GTBL likes this.
  18. serpens

serpens Well-Known Member

I think the 300 will be better off for this, although given the state of the segment it likely won't be a huge seller.

Also the Touareg and Phaeton were most definitely not on the same chassis, despite sharing many components.

VintageRust and jerseyjoe like this.
  19. con383

con383 Well-Known Member

sales here in oz will take a dive if the 300 goes FWD!! remember these words

Jeepnut likes this.
  20. Morty

Morty Well-Known Member

A bit off topic maybe, but the Touareg, Q7 and the Cayenne share the same "platform".

VintageRust and Lampredi like this.