AF: New evidence for a FWD Chrysler 300 | Page 18 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New evidence for a FWD Chrysler 300

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Dave Z, May 6, 2016.

1. humdrum

humdrum Well-Known Member

I'm sure he had his marching orders from the BOD. Wouldn't have happened without their approval.

2. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

Or, he spun it to the board to get their approval.

3. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Well-Known Member

Wow, a relative youngster that appreciates rwd. My nephews of your age grew-up with fwd. They panic if the rear end breaks loose in the snow. I call it "steering with the throttle". One thought his dad's Caravan was quick back when the 6 was first offered. I took him for a ride in a 5.0 HO to show him what fast is, or was back then. This big "drifting" thing a while back i call "winter driving in the "D". I'm on my 3rd LX rwd in Michigan. having grown-up here i have no problem driving in snow. Though a low ground clearance vehicle will have trouble in the deep stuff whether fwd or rwd.

Zagnut27 and HotCarNut like this.
  4. MoparDanno

Level III Supporter

Codes don't mean what they once did. They are there now more to show a continuity for the car, than the platform.

It might behoove all of us to not assume ANYTHING about where architectures and platforms originate. They are all jointly developed now, and are all as likely to be derived from each other as not. I think the only one that will remain sacrosanct is Wrangler.

dmcdonald, JKU12, GasAxe and 2 others like this.
  5. HotCarNut

HotCarNut Defender of Reality
    Level III Supporter

Given this, how should we take @oh2o 's earlier post about the L-series having plenty of life left and living on into the next decade? Is that the nomenclature, some version of the platform/architecture, or is the current car going to undergo a massive change for 2018?

6. grungerockjeeper

grungerockjeeper Well-Known Member

Theres a lot to be said for having the ability to offer the 'perfect' vehicle, rather than settle for a something that kind of misses the mark. Obviously you and your mom like the product since you keep coming back. A happy customer is a repeat customer.

7. MoparDanno

Level III Supporter

For one, I will NEVER knowingly contradict oh2o. He is always right. Period.

Sometimes his and my info don't always combine into a clear picture of what we think, but it turns out that in those cases we are both right, and FCA does something unexpected. 2015 Challengers come to mind with the Hellcat, SRT392 AND 392 Scatpack versions. ALL of our info was right, just about 3 different cars, not the 1 or 2 we were thinking.

From what I have been able to determine from various sources, LA/LX/LD variants will continue into 2020 at this point. 2018 doesn't look to be a huge change in any way shape or form in chassis. Which makes sense. LA bowed in 2015, so 2020 is 5 year mark. For 2018 MY I would look for nothing more major than a mild refresh and a powertrain update to the upcoming new more efficient powertrains that we have been talking about.

We have heard that LB/LY/LF are on the way, but I don't think we will see those until the 2020-2021 point in time.

The waters are still pretty muddy though, so all of this is slightly informed speculation on my part. And ANYTHING can change at any time. I am learning, that perhaps even more so than in the past, flexibility in choices is key. They are keeping as many doors open as they can as much as they can.

Mopar392, Dave Z, Prabhjot and 3 others like this.
  8. LXbuilder

LXbuilder Well-Known Member

Yes, and yes, long before actually.

Mike V., wilbur and MoparDanno like this.
  9. oh2o

Level III Supporter

Refresh = 2019MY :)

HotCarNut, Mike V. and MoparDanno like this.
  10. MoparDanno

Level III Supporter

Then 2021 is seeming more likely for the "major" ?

Mopar392 and Mike V. like this.
  11. Mopar_Ja

Mopar_Ja Active Member

Sorry guys but every time I see a minivan new and all this talk of flexible platforms and trying to improve minivan dad image I automatically think of this. Only one way to do that hope they get the hint: Cross your fingers for the Dodge SRT variant of.

12. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Allpar Legacy

So, no Charger/Challenge refresh until 2019MY? Just a refresh?

GUS in 2021MY or 2022MY?

Am I missing something?

13. HotCarNut

HotCarNut Defender of Reality
    Level III Supporter

Given when @oh2o and @MoparDanno have said, that's the timing. I also would quote "GUS" as being the platitechture. Sounds like we may be getting something new that utilizes pieces/parts of the Giulia platform and architecture, but given the wheelbase and size difference it would be a stretch to think it's the same. Plus, that's 5 years from the introduction of the Giulia and work will continue on all fronts.....

14. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

Is there an EOL in view?

15. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Allpar Legacy

If there is only a refresh of the current Charger/Challenger to cover the next 5 years, then Brampton does not need a big investment at this point in time, saving capital for other things.

Prabhjot and Mike V. like this.
  16. duster92

duster92 Well-Known Member

Lutz was approached by Schremp at the Berlin Auto Show. Lutz went to Eaton with the proposal and Eaton presented it to the board. It might not have happened if Kirkorian and Lito hadn't brought the corporation to an inch of its life with their hostile takeover bid in 1996.

Adventurer55 and Mike V. like this.
  17. Adventurer55

So the long awaited Dodge built on the Alfa sharing plan will not show up until 2021? If true that's not exactly right around the corner. That's almost 10 years from when the new Alfa was planned.

18. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

The Alfa Guilia, as it sits, took about 2.5 years to design and implement not counting several changes in program requirements that caused the project to stop and restart from scratch before that multiple times.

Your comment is incorrect. Just because the Charger will not be replaced until a few years from now does not mean that other vehicles that share the Alfa platform will not come before then.

A projected timeline for other Dodge products has been posted multiple times.

Mike

Prabhjot, jorisr and MoparDanno like this.
  19. Adventurer55

May be posted many times, but zero concrete evidence. Maybe, might be, could be, the Journey replacement. My point is nothing from corporate on this, just lots of speculation.

20. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

Pot calling the kettle black...

Maybe you should consider not criticizing members for "speculating" while doing it yourself.

You have been asked many times to not to criticize the insiders who can not reveal sources to you directly. There is plenty of "concrete evidence", it has just not be shared with you directly.

Mike

#360 Mike V., May 17, 2016
    Last edited: May 17, 2016
    freshforged and dmcdonald like this.