AF: New Grand Wagoneer design | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Grand Wagoneer design

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by 12soldier, Sep 3, 2020.

?

New Grand Wagoneer design

This poll will close on Oct 14, 2020 at 5:44 PM.
  1. No thanks

21 vote(s)
    15.2%
  2. Yes, please

46 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Almost, but not quite

71 vote(s)
    51.4%
  1. 12soldier

12soldier Well-Known Member

Like or dislike?

2. serpens

serpens Well-Known Member

Count me in as almost, but not quite. I’m honestly still surprised that Gilles signed off on this.

3. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

I'm a no. I loved the DT Ram when it came out, and that has worn off. Maybe this will work the opposite way and it'll grow on me. Doesn't matter much as I'm not in the target demographic. I have no interest in spending half of what I paid for my house on a Jeep (or any other vehicle for that matter).

hotmach likes this.
  4. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

I clicked almost, but it's growing on me. Maybe not a hell yes, but a yes.

I think the biggest problem with it is, the presentation; hear me out:

They were so focused on what it isn't (wrangler/100% off-road oriented) and what it isn't targeting, that they forgot to mention what it is, and what it can do. Sure, the soft-roads are what it's target audience will use it for, but, it's probably going to be just as capable as a Grand Cherokee if not moreso.

#4 suzq044, Sep 3, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
    gminnebo, 12soldier, UN4GTBL and 8 others like this.
  5. habu987

habu987 Member

Interior and the exterior in front of the C-pillar, definitely yes. Behind it, hard pass.

12soldier likes this.
  6. dodge999

dodge999 Active Member

For me it is a NO but it is still a concept. I hope for the production model the front grill will be bigger, the headlight will be less like a ram and the D pillar will be more like the original. Kudos for the interior it is the best one ever made by Jeep-dodge-chrysler.

7. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

Interior is a hard yes. Exterior in the front and rear is missing something/something is off. It's almost like they had multiple people working on a section at a time and it threw off the proportions.

12soldier, LoganSix, UN4GTBL and 3 others like this.
  8. unverferth

unverferth Well-Known Member

I thought for sure it would have more styling cues from the original Wagoneer. Sure it looks nice but really not that distinctive from all the other big SUV's out there. They went way more conservative than I figured.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  9. eigib56

eigib56 Well-Known Member

I'm a yes! I could nitpick about the headlights, or the grille size if I were so inclined, but I'm not. It doesn't break any new ground stylistically, but I don't think it set out to. I think it's beautiful and if I had 100K to drop on a vehicle, I'd be in line. Good job guys. Now, bring it out as pictured!

Ryan and suzq044 like this.
  10. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Well-Known Member

I gotta see one on the street. A vehicle’s road stance show me more than any publicity pics.
    So far it looks ok and I’d much rather have one of these for a tow vehicle than a pick up.

11. saltydog

saltydog Well-Known Member

Overall I like it, but I want to see more versions/trim levels. Like with Ram DT, I only like the Rebel and Nigh Edition trims.

12. jsucha

jsucha Well-Known Member

These are my 2 choices also. The Night Edition in Black masks all that is wrong with the front of the Ram.

HotCarNut and saltydog like this.
  13. marlon_jbt

marlon_jbt Well-Known Member

Where is the "It depends on my mood." option? I keep going back and forth from love it to hate it.

Zagnut27 and Ryan like this.
  14. hotmach

hotmach Not an insider !

I was an almost until i thought about the price they will be asking, then i became a hard no.
    How long have they had to nail this design ?
    As i have been saying, it appears the FCA design tank is empty.

15. plymouth1

plymouth1 Well-Known Member

The exterior seems me too like a Lincoln design. The interior is nice except for the 2 point steering wheel straight across. Will have to see the actual production model in real life to judge it for sure. So I voted almost

16. jsucha

jsucha Well-Known Member

Agree with the empty tank of design. '14 Cherokee, awkward front design and very disjointed at the rear.
    '19 Ram 1500 - very vanilla design compared to previous generations, except Rebel and TRX. A lot of me too in the front end of the other models. Very nice interior
    2019 Ram HD - used previous gen body style, a good thing, and threw on the new brow front end and cheap hood badges. Nice interior update.
    '22 GW - vanilla design after all these years, and again a super nice interior.
    FCA method of operation seems to be great interiors wrapped in not so great styling.

wvutuba likes this.
  17. dakrt99

dakrt99 Well-Known Member

Yes, absolutely.

18. Ryan

Staff Member Level III Supporter

I voted yes. I’m going to have small design gripes with any car...except the Range Rover Velar :D. Watching the running footage instead of just looking at the pictures really gives you a better sense of its proportions.

I just wish they would have revealed this concept in a different color. I think there would be fewer complaints. White on such a big vehicle hides the lines and makes it look like there’s a bunch of empty space.

#18 Ryan, Sep 4, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
    tlc, Mopar02, Bigun426 and 3 others like this.
  19. HotCarNut

HotCarNut Defender of Reality
    Level III Supporter

I voted almost just because of the D pillar and rear window. I love the rear end and the front is nearly perfect. Just remove the unibrow lighting and put the traditional Wagoneer slot hood/grill and this thing is perfect. Yeah, it really is more the spiritual successor to the Commander, but I don’t care. It’s a fantastic vehicle with an amazing interior that will sell well to the target demographic. Realize, the vast majority of us are NOT in this group. But that doesn’t make it a bad vehicle.

Tony K, tlc, aldo90731 and 2 others like this.
  20. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

I voted almost but not quite. Overall, I think it looks fine, if a bit “predictable.” But (1) it is not as handsome as the current Grand Cherokee, and (2) I was expecting a little more homage paid to the original; sort of like the 2005 Chrysler 300 paid homage to prior 300s but looked thoroughly modern at the same time.

Given the appeal of the Grand Wagoneer name, Ralph et. al. had a unique opportunity to produce something more “iconic” looking.

The SJ had a dozen unique design elements, like the vertical tail lights, the tall greenhouse, the skirted rear fenders with those character lines, the inverted D-pillar, etc., that beg for a modern reinterpretation. This concept has a bit of SJ’s forward slanted grille; but the overall grille design is so squat that you can barely notice it.

#20 aldo90731, Sep 4, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2020