AF: New Grand Wagoneer design | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Grand Wagoneer design

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by 12soldier, Sep 3, 2020.

?

New Grand Wagoneer design

Poll closed Oct 14, 2020.
  1. No thanks

23 vote(s)
    15.6%
  2. Yes, please

48 vote(s)
    32.7%
  3. Almost, but not quite

76 vote(s)
    51.7%
  1. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

I voted almost. If I were in the market for a full size SUV, then this would probably be at the top of the list mainly because I'm a Jeep guy. I'd prefer something a little smaller, like the upcoming 3-row Grand Cherokee, so I will be up front about that.

The exterior is pretty vanilla, though not ugly. I, too, thought they would have tried to make it a modern interpretation of the classic GWagoneer, but I suppose that probably wasn't realistic. They didn't go that route with Cherokee or with Gladiator either, so why would they start now? The interior is exceptional. No idea how it drives or from a capability standpoint.

So WOULD I consider it? Yes. WILL I purchase it? Probably not, but more so because it doesn't fit my needs/wants.

77 Monaco Brougham and aldo90731 like this.
  2. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

See, in a perfect world, if the design had been a home run it would make us want it, even if we didn’t need it.

Like you, I think it looks clean and well aimed at its target audience, but that’s it. I don’t see anything that makes me go “wow, I need to have that!”

3. Archknight

Archknight Well-Known Member

I love the interior of this, they went all out making it luxurious. The exterior took me a few days, since the curvyness of the front doesn't really align with the straight boxy lines of the rest of design. Did I hear the first guy right, that Wagoneer will be its on line of models?

4. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Well-Known Member

Now, if only they would spend half as much attention to the LH interiors.

5. Chris mopar

Chris mopar Well-Known Member

I voted almost, because I would never buy something that big, interior is great but the exterior not much different from the GM and Ford coipition. If I were in the market for something this large, it would likely be the Wagoneer or Grand Wagoneer, because they are Jeep and I do like them better then the competition.

6. humdrum

humdrum Well-Known Member

I would want to see it up close and personal. 2D isn't the same as 3D. I do think it comes close to what I would expect, but the front being as it is might take some growing used-to. As I said before, what do I know, I bought a 2014 Cherokee, and now i really love that car. The sides of the GW do seem a little bulbous akin to a Tahoe or Suburban. But, I think they got to rear right. I need to see it in person. The interior seems good until the electrical gremlins start popping up.

The deciding thing that will will make or break this car is perceived vs real quality and value for the type of money they are talking about.

Tony K, AvengerGuy and Chris mopar like this.
  7. humdrum

oh, one other thought. That map that is on the skylight panel seems to be a static map of Detroit. What if it had the capability of projecting your actual navigation destination information showing your progress?

8. humdrum

Interesting point of view. This is Doug DeMuro. His take is more of what I had originally thought. Although I could be persuaded otherwise. Maybe it is more a Chrysler than a Jeep. Should it be more retro "Wagoneer"?

saltydog and UN4GTBL like this.
  9. jsucha

jsucha Well-Known Member

Exactly my thoughts too. I felt this way also when the Ram was introduced 2+ years ago and still do about it.

HotCarNut, suzq044, wvutuba and 2 others like this.
  10. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

There aren’t very many vehicles out there right now that make me feel that way. Perhaps Gladiator. But for larger, 3-row SUV’s I cant say that I look at any of them and there is a clear cut winner, and I feel that’s definitely a contributing factor as to why we haven't purchased anything yet. Yes, we’ve had other priorities, but I think a new vehicle would’ve been more to the forefront if there was a clear “gotta have it” vehicle. But that’s very definitely a personally subjective thing. Sure, there are lots of compelling choices out there that may appeal far more to someone else.

Cost plays in to that as well. Cars are very expensive now, especially if you’re purchasing a large CUV/SUV. Just look at the potential for astronomical pricing for Grand Wagoneer. My wife and I are very fortunate to have jobs that pay us very well. With us, it’s more of what we want to spend as opposed to what we can afford, and that’s not the case for a lot of households. But we still need to balance a vehicle purchase with a mortgage, daily life expenses, future college expenses, etc. So you want to feel that if you’re adding a large expense to your budget, that it’s something that you really feel is “worth it”.

I freely admit that I’m not in the market for this vehicle. My wife wouldn’t be comfortable driving it, and probably the pricing would be more than we’d feel comfortable paying, though with what we’ve been paying for our kids private pre school, we could probably afford his and hers Grand Wagoneers in any trim we wanted. Ugh...but the school has added tremendous value to our lives, especially through the pandemic and with both of us being essential workers. That being said, Wagoneer would make a compelling choice on the strength of the interior alone, but I can’t say that it would be an automatic purchase over all the other brands.

Yet it’s easy to say, when you’re on the outside looking in. If I truly were in the market for something this large, then that might color my thinking differently.

77 Monaco Brougham likes this.
  11. NWbyNW

NWbyNW Active Member

Yes overall. I think the back needs to be reworked, especially a direct rear view, the top looks too square and tall for an otherwise sculpted body. Overall it is a win and a much needed vehicle for FCA.

Ryan likes this.
  12. dmcdonald

dmcdonald Well-Known Member

The back is by far my favourite exterior feature.

humdrum likes this.
  13. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Allpar Legacy

I also voted, almost.

The interior is fantastic, but the exterior isn't quite Wagoneer-ish enough IMO.

Agreed.

After I watched the reveal, I thought "this should have been a "Chrysler Aspen" and really announced that Chrysler is here to stay as a brand.

Imagine the press that would have received, like the new Navigator got a few years ago.

I know that wood paneling won't be an option, but that would have seriously helped it in my eyes lol

humdrum likes this.
  14. dmcdonald

dmcdonald Well-Known Member

I voted almost for much the same reasons, as well...the want of a bit more homage to the original. However, I do think the most distinguishing feature of the SJ was its straight side glass. A very hard feature to modernly adapt....lol. I was hoping for the skirted rear quarter panel. and the inverted D pillar. As for the vertical tail lights, that was not a Wagoneer feature until the 1984 model year which coincided with the move to the Grand Wagoneer name and the move of the Wagoneer name to the XJ platform. The vertical lights in last few years of the GW were admittedly borrowed from the FSJ Cherokee when it retired at the end of 1983.

aldo90731 likes this.
  15. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

Please take a moment, and ask yourself the following questions. And...please be honest with yourself when answering:

If this vehicle had been introduced as the new Chrysler (insert name here)......along with the announcement that Chrysler is here to stay as a brand:

? Would there have been nearly as much press / media coverage ?
    ? Would said media / press coverage have been nearly as positive ?

And finally:

? Would FCA even have a sniff at commanding the same MSRP for this vehicle as a Chrysler instead of a Jeep ?

Tony K and voiceofstl like this.
  16. sickboy

sickboy Well-Known Member

Answering all this with this question. Could Chrysler follow this with a version without any off-road pretense? Allowing jeep to command 100k and garner big press and hopefully pushing for luxury, and Chrysler getting 2wd and living room comfort. Awd and upscale interior could be optional, and focus on comfort and economy?
    I would love a vehicle like this, but I don’t need all the off-road capability

UN4GTBL, cdjr77 and voiceofstl like this.
  17. superduckie5000

superduckie5000 THE MAD DUCK
    Level III Supporter

Kind'a Real Plain Jane Design.
    But that's what May Sell in this Segment !
    But You May Not Want Something Radical Here.
    The $100K Top Price Sticker is Still a Shock.
    Hope the Interior Hits It Out of the Park !

Tony K likes this.
  18. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

I'm done trying to see what they were going for. It doesn't work. Not as wagoneer, not as a $100k Jeep.

I'm sitting in a borrowed 98 4runner, okay, and I'm wondering, why the hell a 1990s anything can do a roll down rear window, without taking up room and all that cop-out that Gilles said in his Instagram admiring his own work. It's a cop-out. It's been done, it's been being done since Jeep left that market in 1991. This thing.. is design by committee. Yuntu but bigger, and.. there's no damn soul in it. The back end looks stunted, the sides look awkward and don't even glance at the original except in that vertical window frames. Yay?

It's not a $100k truck. The design language doesn't say it's a 100,000 dollar truck. It says we were too damn afraid that retro wouldn't work a second time. Nothing about this exterior is timeless. There's no grace about it. It takes Rams shoulders, which you'd have to be blind not to see, and just throws in generic modern Jeep design language, save for the tail lights.

Ralph, a person who penned us the 300, is watching that moniker that he reinvigorated, get left to die, while we get this.. generic looking design that frankly doesn't get the job done for that price tag.

The fact they aren't even introducing new tech beyond how many 10+" screens can you have in a truck, is.. laughable. They went there wrong way with this. It's supposed to be a Jeep that everyone wants, but only few can afford. Even the affluent can dream of new and unpaved roads. This design, frankly, is uninspired... //Rant over.

Edit: Favorite part of the whole truck was the lighting and electronics. That's pretty laughable design if the only thing I like on this exterior design is the lights on either end.

#38 suzq044, Sep 5, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
  19. cygnus

cygnus Well-Known Member

Agreed. Maybe they can do an MCA in three years.

It needs to be better than the Yukon AT4 on the outside, and at least meet what the Escalade is offering on the interior. Clean design, very nice OLED instrument panel and a second 38 inch OLED tucked behind it.

I feel worse about the interior than I did initially - too many screens, too try hard. You want to go upmarket and sell into an older crowd and you give them four iPad like screens on the front dash? What is the co-passenger screen even for?

Nopeeeee

20. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

Fair enough. I'll answer your question with a question of my own.

How much would FCA have to de-content this vehicle while at the same time be able to command enough margin and sales to justify all the expense of there being a Chrysler variant of this vehicle.

My bet is that FCA already had their bean-counters explore this possibility, and I'm willing to bet they were unable to make a 'bu$ine$$ ca$e' for it.

#40 77 Monaco Brougham, Sep 6, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
    UN4GTBL and Tony K like this.