AF: New Grand Wagoneer design | Page 4 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Grand Wagoneer design

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by 12soldier, Sep 3, 2020.

?

New Grand Wagoneer design

This poll will close on Oct 14, 2020 at 5:44 PM.
  1. No thanks

21 vote(s)
    15.3%
  2. Yes, please

46 vote(s)
    33.6%
  3. Almost, but not quite

70 vote(s)
    51.1%
  1. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Cashing on the name recognition isn’t by itself bad. But putting a name on a dissimilar vehicle is rather lazy and meaningless. It’d be the same if when they brought back Challenger they were showing pics of the original and then revealed a spacey sleek 2-door coupe that looked nothing like the original. What’s the point of relating the two then? Cheap advertising?

2. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

I know where they’re trying to go with this, but it is Jeep after all. Not having an off-road capable variant pretty much defeats the purpose of making it a Jeep in the first place. We’ll see what it can or can’t do when it’s finally revealed I guess.

3. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

Ye$...in part. It is a cynical strategy...but in a way...this kind of thing has been done before.

How many of us were thrilled at the introduction...after a long absence...of Dodge Charger...only to see the successor was a 4-door sedan?
    I was less than pleased...to put it mildly!

4. cygnus

cygnus Well-Known Member

lol, cope
    Yes.

Zagnut27 and 77 Monaco Brougham like this.
  5. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

They do. Many companies design the refresh model right beside the all-new model so they can work on another vehicle for the time being before the new all-new model for the car comes out

Tony K and hmk123 like this.
  6. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

Holding out hope that the regular old Wagoneer might have more...something.

UN4GTBL and Zagnut27 like this.
  7. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Considering this is just a concept/early production vehicle that is basically a demonstration of what Grand Wagoneer can offer from a luxury vehicle perspective, it’s probably unfair to judge the entire Wagoneer lineup from a capability standpoint. It would be like if they showed the Trackhawk version of Grand Cherokee as a concept vehicle, and the entire Grand Cherokee lineup was judged by that level of off-road ability. There very well could be differing levels of off-road ability/capability for the entire Wagoneer lineup...us outsiders are not privy to that info.

At least I hope so....lol.

HotCarNut likes this.
  8. cygnus

cygnus Well-Known Member

Heads up display - innovative.

Dual LED screens in the center stack - I don't know, maybe I'll get used to it but I really prefer HVAC controls on knobs and buttons.

LED screens in back - can they at least source some panels that don't have such a large bezels?

UN4GTBL likes this.
  9. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

The primary HVAC controls are on the strip of hard buttons just below the top screen, here:

[​IMG]

(... and seat heating controls are on a set of capacitive buttons on left and right of that screen)

UN4GTBL, Tony K, tlc and 3 others like this.
  10. Ryan

Staff Member Level III Supporter

The bezels are a bit large for my taste as well. The GM trio isn't much better though.

Tahoe:
    dims.jpeg

Grand Wagoneer:
    Jeep-Grand_Wagoneer_Concept-2020-1280-22.jpg

UN4GTBL and ScramFan like this.
  11. serpens

serpens Well-Known Member

So many pictures of the Tahoe and Yukon (not even in Denali) in here. Why no pics of the Escalade interior that the GW is supposed to be going against? Cadillac did an impressive job with the screens in the Escalade.

upload_2020-9-7_7-39-9.jpeg
    [​IMG]

#71 serpens, Sep 7, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    UN4GTBL, saltydog, page2171 and 2 others like this.
  12. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Nice job but IMO less impressive than the Grand Wagoneer.

Tony K and tlc like this.
  13. serpens

As a whole I like the GW interior better as well, but I also haven’t seen the actual production interior. I know some of the detailing isn’t going to look as nice.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  14. cygnus

cygnus Well-Known Member

My vote is with the Escalade interior. Smoother lines, better flow.

UN4GTBL and thebluegoat like this.
  15. serpens

I think where the GW excels vs. the Escalade is the cabin treatment in the rear. The Escalade’s rear seats look cheap.

The dash, however, is an Escalade win imo.

cygnus likes this.
  16. HotCarNut

HotCarNut Defender of Reality
    Level III Supporter

The fixes for this design are really simple. Lengthen the grill down into the bumper and give it more of a forward slanted D-pillar like GC (or for that matter the Range Rover) with a rear glass window that matches the lines. Really, that's about all you have to do. You could make the wheel arches more "muscular", but remember that's adding width to a vehicle that's already over 6' wide. You don't really want it much wider, especially with the turning radius it's bound to have, or parking will be a complete pain in the [I should have my mouth washed out with soap for using such terms]. This is a luxury vehicle and understated is ALWAYS better in that category. It's basic lines and a grill tweak away from being perfect. The interior is already a home run and better than anything you'd see in a BMW/MB/Audi/Lexus.

UN4GTBL and tlc like this.
  17. hmk123

Level III Supporter

All of these don't impress me too much. Remind me of the vehicle that gets pulled out when a family with ample resources does their yearly ski trip. Design wise it is just not the same for me when it comes to sedans and coupes. Giulia versus Stelvio is a great example. I blame Costco and bulk shopping for us choosing practicality over style. :) Will online shopping change that again?

18. tomaz

tomaz Well-Known Member

The only thing Escalade has is the Dash Everything else looks Tahoe cheap. and lacks Detail behind the front passengers They need to bring back the Wreath and put it on the Seats instead of that "Chevron" that means nothing. The Doors design look 2 Generations old. the areas below the seats as you can see
    the plastic pieces the seat slides on the track, that could have been designed to be hidden.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

UN4GTBL, Ryan and HotCarNut like this.
  19. hotmach

hotmach Not an insider !

Currently we're seeing 70% of basically 120 people at no, or not quite.
    Assuming we/this is representative of opinions elsewhere, what conversations do we feel are talking place at FCA ?
    Aside from stealing some Bronco chatter this had to be a trial balloon.

cygnus likes this.
  20. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Well, if you’re stupid enough (and I am) to read the comment section on any article on Facebook, you’d think that they just unveiled a Titanic that will sink faster than the original...because it’s new and improved! :rolleyes:

Sigh...I still see comments saying JT is just a Wrangler with a bed....I don’t know why I keep reading the comments....