AF: New Grand Wagoneer design | Page 6 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Grand Wagoneer design

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by 12soldier, Sep 3, 2020.

?

New Grand Wagoneer design

This poll will close on Oct 14, 2020 at 5:44 PM.
  1. No thanks

21 vote(s)
    15.2%
  2. Yes, please

46 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Almost, but not quite

71 vote(s)
    51.4%
  1. serpens

serpens Well-Known Member

That screen is large enough where I seriously doubt most consumers will be complaining.

2. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

Perhaps, but when I'm on the highway, having a large touch screen in a portrait setup enables situational awareness in ways that this Caddy "hillside" landscape view does not.

3. Bionicrooster

Bionicrooster Well-Known Member

After letting it set in, and viewing all the comments and pictures, I changed my vote to no. I hope it sells well and is a winner for FCA or whatever they are called now, but its not something I would buy, and not something I think should be called a Jeep. Its not that I think the styling is bad, its just that Jeep has the most distinctive styling of any vehicle line, and they while high end luxury buyers may not want overly 'distinctive' they could have made it look like more of the Jeep family, and not so much like a big Chrysler.

4. 12soldier

12soldier Well-Known Member

I think fixing that rear window and adding those lines along the side made a huge difference!!!. I can be ok with the grill if they addressed the lines and that rear window. In its current form, the exterior is as interesting as a 2015 Honda Pilot. So it starts off on what was 6 years ago, but worse. The mirrors are ok, I'd prefer a chrome cap on them for nostalgia. I can't really point to anything I like, too much to dislike. I guess the best part of the exterior is the mirrors, the intricate detailing on the grill itself, and I kind of like the light bar across the front; in the dark you'll know what's coming up the street by that light.

I'm sorta their target market. I don't need a vehicle like this, but would want one if they fixed these things. Maybe not the highest priced one, but something upscale. Also, they should add a roll out tailgate from the interior, the nostalgia I remember is this thing is hauling Christmas trees up top and sitting on a tailgate threading your fishing line or next to a fire pouring coffee from a thermos.

This thing offers no heart, just an optional design that you would expect from a foreign company. Jeep is Jeep, not a BMW knockoff or anything of the sort. They should keep the bland with other brands. Just slap a Ram grill on it and call it the new Durango. But reserve that interior for the redesign. I do like the interior.

#104 12soldier, Sep 9, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2020
    Bionicrooster, UN4GTBL and suzq044 like this.
  5. Chase300

Chase300 Well-Known Member

Sorry, I don't like any of the changes...and the worse is changing the rear window. I like the U-shape the windows have as it makes the design cohesive IMO. Changing the rear window shape throws that off and it now looks disjointed IMO. Adding the body line makes it look like a Jeep Compass to me..no need.
    They did say this was a concept...so I think final say should be when we see the production version in person. But I know this is the right direction for Jeep. I also think you could put a RAM badge on the back easier than a Chrysler badge.

6. 12soldier

When I lived in Vegas, a realtor tried to sell me on a place with a view (not legal to do, I know), but to see the "view" you had to lean your head on the glass to look around another building. This is how Ralph is convincing everyone this thing is justified as a Grand Wagoneer. If you have to take extra effort to make someone believe it, if not on first site, then it's a fail. Just rename the dang thing as Grand Commuter or something. Put wood on the side of that and call it the Wagoneer edition, much like they did with their new version of "Jeepster".

UN4GTBL, thebluegoat and page2171 like this.
  7. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

Commander would suit the existing body lines better, IMO. It actually looks the part, whereas to abandon everything that made a Wagoneer a Wagoneer, and throw it on-- I've already written my rant about the current design. lol - They also seem to have forgotten that it was not just a Luxo-barge, it was a capable one. That is what confuses me, too. They were so busy downplaying its capability that it well.. why the Ram if you're not going to take advantage of it?

UN4GTBL, dakota21, HEMI345 and 6 others like this.
  8. Chase300

Chase300 Well-Known Member

You have a good point suzq044. Personally I never thought the original was attractive at all, but I had a boss and neighbor who both had them and I remember them saying they liked it for the capability it had carrying their family to ski outings.

77 Monaco Brougham and HotCarNut like this.
  9. 12soldier

I'm mostly ok with the lack of capability with this, just as long as it gets to the cabin. Your suggested fixes, as well as everyone here who agrees, would serve this well to continue with the name badge. I think this is just their attempt to break away from the Jeep to sub brand and piggy back on what was a proven contender to wear the Jeep brand name. By adding the 3rd row, they are omitting its real capabilities. This is simply a caravan with swinging doors and nicer interior. I would really love if they just added the slim lines below the window all the way to the rear tail lights. I can even accept the stupid rear window. Just enlarge the grill and do that line along the side and I'd seriously consider getting one. Plus give you some cash for coming up with it.

suzq044 likes this.
  10. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

This is mostly a function of Jeep trying hard...perhaps too hard.

In essence, they're dancing as fast as they can, trying to make up for the 30 years Jeep was absent from the segment with the end of the original Wagoneer.

In a manner of speaking...Jeep is arriving at the dinner party just as the other guests are finishing up the Port Wine and Stilton Cheese.:D
    [​IMG]

HotCarNut likes this.
  11. HEMI345

HEMI345 Active Member

totally agreed, but maybe there is an off road version. Who knows.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Tony K, HotCarNut, Ryan and 2 others like this.
  12. Scottina06

Scottina06 Active Member

It will still have a trail rsted version so not sure where the no capability is coming from. Maybe they were just referring to the concept model. But that's the full luxe model with all options. Most of the wagoneer/GW's sold won't be the high luxe versions. There will be 3 4x4 systems and I assume one will be similar to what the ram snd GC have now along with quadralift air suspension and smaller wheels/tires. I don't see why they won't do a Trailhawk as well.

Tony K, HotCarNut, HEMI345 and 2 others like this.
  13. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

The unmatched towing is approximately 10k. It's in the fine print of the ad, too.

Like I said tho, why are they downplaying it so hard?

14. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Allpar Legacy

Nope.
    Nope.
    Nope.

I understand and agree with you on this for sure. However, if Chrysler as a brand is to ever "come back" there needs to be something happen that makes waves.

Tony K, HotCarNut, Ryan and 3 others like this.
  15. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

I've pretty much given up hope that any significant effort will be exerted to keep the Chrysler brand viable.

I would like to be proven wrong...but am fearful that I'm right.

HotCarNut, UN4GTBL and valiant67 like this.
  16. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

Best we can hope for is a "badge engineered" soft road version of it as a Chrysler and a performance version as the Dodge RamCharger. I thought that was the plan, but.....who knows.

UN4GTBL and jclick like this.
  17. cygnus

cygnus Well-Known Member

It makes sense from an engineering/marketing standpoint that Chrysler is a BEV only play.

Make it a entry level CUV with up level performance trim - inspirational for first time buyers, $15K cheaper than Model 3. $10K cheaper is too close.

Something below 7.5s for 0-60. Something like the Ford Kuga, but BEV.

77 Monaco Brougham, UN4GTBL and Ryan like this.
  18. XRT2SRT

XRT2SRT Well-Known Member

It already has begun. I do most of my shopping online because I hardly find the time to go out and rove all over town looking. That has given influence to my vehicular future purchases, in the sense, that I do not any longer feel the need for a full-sized vehicle like a GRAND WAGONEER. [personal view]

Tony K likes this.
  19. XRT2SRT

Ughhhl....the mal-aligned piping on those front seats....:confused:

cygnus, ScramFan and UN4GTBL like this.
  20. XRT2SRT

What if the changes are already coming down the production ready pipeline, with this being a CONCEPT and all? Just hoping...

cygnus likes this.