AF: New Grand Wagoneer design | Page 7 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Grand Wagoneer design

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by 12soldier, Sep 3, 2020.

?

New Grand Wagoneer design

Poll closed Oct 14, 2020.
  1. No thanks

23 vote(s)
    15.6%
  2. Yes, please

48 vote(s)
    32.7%
  3. Almost, but not quite

76 vote(s)
    51.7%
  1. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

I agree completely. The sad thing is that even if you could wave Harry Potter's Magic Wand and instantly turn Chrysler 100% BEV...Chrysler would STILL be about 5 years late to the party.

P.S. I was so tempted to crack a joke about Harry Potter and The Magic Wand...but good taste prevented me from doing it. That...plus it probably would have been deleted anyway!:p:D

2. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

And even then, they will be able to charge more for a Jeep branded BEV than a Chrysler branded BEV, so any BEV will likely be a Jeep.

UN4GTBL and 77 Monaco Brougham like this.
  3. cygnus

cygnus Well-Known Member

Here's a chance for Jeep to innovate - how do you get electricity to remote locations on demand, for when you really, really need it? This is not a medical emergency (helicopter pickup), but you ran out of juice to get back to a charging station.

Tony K and page2171 like this.
  4. HEMI345

HEMI345 Active Member

*sorry if you have read this before, but i thought it better to move this post here.
    Could The Jeep® Grand Wagoneer Tow Beyond 10,000 LBS? - Mopar Insiders

I though we are getting QD3 :). Hope they added more enhancement to the current QD2. The Grand Wagoneer Concept also the Quadra-Lift air suspension.

5. HEMI345

HEMI345 Active Member

CAUGHT: 2022 Jeep® Wagoneer Caravan Testing Across America: - Mopar Insiders

[​IMG]

6. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

Those headlights make me think the lighting will sadly be more mundane than the concept. The lighting on the concept truly made it stand out. If it turns into an extra large Grand Cherokee, it's going to bomb at that price point.

UN4GTBL, HotCarNut and thebluegoat like this.
  7. Chrysler UK

Chrysler UK Active Member

I don't really get why they don't want to introduce those headlights for the production model. Likewise they would be wise to make the 5.7 HEMI as the base engine* and the 6.4 HEMI as the more powerful option. Simply because the Pentastar V6 is going to be unpowered for this Full-Sized SUV.

*At least until the GME-T6 finally comes about

UN4GTBL likes this.
  8. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

The entry level Wagoneer will be the short, lighter model. The V6 should work with such a package, as it works in the Durango, Ram pickups, and the AWD Pacifica.

Chase300 likes this.
  9. dmcdonald

dmcdonald Well-Known Member

I would imagine there will be a significant difference in the lighting and price between the lower end Wagoneer and upper end Grand Wagoneer.

Chrysler UK and jclick like this.
  10. Bigun426

Supporter

With the 3.6 as the base engine the 5.7 could offered as a $4500 package option. FCA has made good money off the 5.7.

11. HEMI345

HEMI345 Active Member

I love the 5.7, its very reliable. But to made it more competitive with the others, they must include the 6.4. Just give us the option.

thebluegoat and Chrysler UK like this.
  12. suzq044

I do not understand there being a large price difference between them if they're going up market. If they want the Wagoneer brand to be top of class they need to keep it pretty tight, no base sport, Laredo, limited, etc.. should be only the best. Overland and summit equivalent only. Otherwise it's just another Jeep.. even if the interior is nice.

Don't really care a ton but, I think the hellcat needs to be available, maybe not for the performance aspect, but the towing and general power. What's the point if the best only has the basic engine choices?

Also, I think Wagoneer is the brand, not another model. Grand is the trim. Might have a different word for smaller or bigger. It didn't have Jeep branding, it had Wagoneer, with a few small Jeep logos hidden.

#132 suzq044, Sep 20, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    CDJSalesPro and Chrysler UK like this.
  13. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

There is one possibility. This vehicle might be a base model Wagoneer. Maybe the GW only will include the nicer light package.

UN4GTBL and Tony K like this.
  14. Tomguy

Tomguy Well-Known Member

I wanted to wait at least a week before I voted and put out my thoughts on this, because that's about how long it took me to accept the 2nd gen LX (LD) Charger, in 2011, after seeing it in person (I went to Ray Barton's to see it next to the 392 Challenger)

It's an almost. "It could've been a contender!"

While I don't doubt Jeep will sell these with this design just because of what it is, if they wanted to print money, they would have had a design more similar to the original Grand Wagoneer. It *NEEDS* that hood and grille lump to be bigger. Yeah, they kinda tried, and half-assed it.

No, not a sloped one. Not a gradual one. The headlights are too GC. Screw a "Corporate image" - if you want $100k for a Jeep, it shouldn't look like a $20k Compass.

Get larger, intimidating headlamps. Do the grille lump and hood bulge. Take the notch out of the rear window. And come on FCA, show us you aren't thinking of this like a washing machine or other appliance, and release press photos in something *NOT* white. How about a classic GW color like Dark Cordovan, or Hunter Green, or Midnight Blue?

It's not an ugly vehicle. It looks attractive. It just is not a Grand Wagoneer. I am not asking for faux wooden paneling, I am asking for design cues that can be modernized and yet still look attractive. People are paying $60-100k for restored GWs (and have been for a decade almost). Because of their appearance and image. Not having that, the most powerful weapon in the GW arsenal, is a "Not quite".

Just imagine one of these with the Power Wagon powertrain and options (6.4, disconnecting sway bars, lockers, winch, etc.), with the retro-classic design, no most buyers probably won't take it on the Rubicon, but they'll buy it because they know they could if they wanted to, and it would fly off dealer lots with an over $100k sticker because of it.

UN4GTBL and Chrysler UK like this.
  15. serpens

serpens Well-Known Member

Haven’t we already confirmed there’s only one wheelbase?

Is it though? They still seem to be having exhaust manifold cracks and lifter issues this many years later.

16. Chrysler UK

Chrysler UK Active Member

The trouble is though, the Durango weighs in about 5381 pounds while the Wagoneer SWB will likely weigh in at around 5600-5700 pounds*. So the Pentastar V6 is definately going to be underpowered in relation to the Wagoneer and thus will face a competitive disadvantage compared to Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon/Escalade, Expedition/Navigator, GLS, X7 & LX; all of wholm have more powerful base engines than the Pentastar V6.

So if FCA want to introduce a 6-Cylinder Wagoneer, it would need to be one that has the GME-T6 Engine instead.

*Since the Wagoneer SWB will be roughly the same size as the Tahoe.

100% agreement on that!

The reason why FCA is trying to have the Wagoneer compete against both $60,000-$80,000 Full-Size SUVs (such as the GMC Yukon) and $80,000-$100,000 Full-Size SUVs (such as the Cadillac Escalade) is very simple; they don't have (nor plan to introduce) any other Full-Size SUVs that could do one of those jobs instead.

Hence why instead of having the Wagoneer compete in the $60,000-$80,000 Full-Size SUV Market & the Grand Wagoneer compete in the $80,000-$100,000 Full-Size SUV Market; FCA should instead introduce a Chrysler Full-Size SUV that competes in the $60,000-$80,000 Full-Size SUV Market and have the Wagoneer only compete in the $80,000-$100,000 Full-Size SUV Market*

Because that would make a lot more sense for FCA (when it comes to competing in the Full-Size SUV sector) than trying to make the Wagoneer compete across the board.

*With the Grand Wagoneer name being used to describe the LWB version of the Wagoneer

The recently posted Mopar Insiders article mentions that FCA are planning to introduce LWB versions of the Wagoneer, which they need to do if they want to compete with the Full-SUVs that both Ford & GM sell.

jclick and serpens like this.
  17. suzq044

The difference in why gm can do that, is because they make them in 3 different brands, at three different price points.

Jeep doesn't, and I fear that making the lower end ones will lower the perception of the higher end ones in this case. If it's going to be a status symbol of Jeep, then it needs to not be selling cheap ones.

I don't think they'll call the smaller one Wagoneer, btw. Or it'll be called Wagoneer Wagoneer. Lol. Don't forget the sub-brand is now Wagoneer. Granted, Wagoneer Grand Wagoneer.

We are now moonmoon.

#137 suzq044, Sep 21, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    Chrysler UK, gforce2002 and Zagnut27 like this.
  18. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Ok, now this is reminding me of the spam skit from Monty Python...:D

• Egg and bacon
    • Egg, sausage and bacon
    • Egg and Spam
    • Egg, bacon and Spam
    • Egg, bacon, sausage and Spam
    • Spam, bacon, sausage and Spam
    • Spam, egg, Spam, Spam, bacon and Spam
    • Spam, Spam, Spam, egg and Spam
    • Spam, sausage, Spam, Spam, Spam, bacon, Spam, tomato and Spam (vinyl record)
    • Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, baked beans, Spam, Spam, Spam and Spam

19. unverferth

unverferth Well-Known Member

Totally agree.

20. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

If Jeep wants to compete against the Cadillac Escalade, then FCA designers will have to fit the Jeep Wagoneer with the steering column and the column shifter from the Ram SSV. Every time I drive an Escalade, I am totally amazed how many Chevy truck parts show through.

The Wagoneer will be able to cover a wide price range. Ram does and that doesn't seem to hurt sales at either end of the price spectrum.

UN4GTBL and dmcdonald like this.