AF: New Grand Wagoneer design | Page 8 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Grand Wagoneer design

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by 12soldier, Sep 3, 2020.

?

New Grand Wagoneer design

Poll closed Wednesday at 5:44 PM.
  1. No thanks

23 vote(s)
    15.6%
  2. Yes, please

48 vote(s)
    32.7%
  3. Almost, but not quite

76 vote(s)
    51.7%
  1. tomaz

tomaz Well-Known Member

umm.....Escalades do not have Column shifters anymore.

page2171 and Chrysler UK like this.
  2. Chrysler UK

Chrysler UK Active Member

Hence why they should introduce a Chrysler version of the Wagoneer (that directly competes with the Expedition, Tahoe/Suburban & Yukon). So that they can focus the Wagoneer as a $80,000-100,000 Full-Size SUV that can properly compete with the Escalade, Navigator, LX, GLS & X7.

Stellantis really need to do all they can to make Jeep become their Premium Brand; especially when Chrysler, DS, Lancia & Alfa Romeo are all struggling to become viable competitors to the likes of Audi, BMW, Mercedes-Benz & Lexus.

That means getting rid of the cheaper versions of their Jeeps. So I agree with you on this matter.

It would make more sense to call the SWB Wagoneer the "Wagoneer" & the LWB Wagoneer the "Grand Wagoneer" (rather than use both names to describe how well equiped a Wagoneer actually is), even if they don't produce a Chrysler version for the lower end of Full-Size SUV Sector.

Are we all 100% sure that the management of FCA is not suffering from "Wagoneer Syndrome" then?

:D

You do realise that the GMT T1XX versions of the Escalade, Yukon & Tahoe/Suburban no longer have column shifters.

Regardless I am sure that when it comes to interiors; the Waggoner will be better than any of the Full-Size SUVs that Ford & GM make (at least). So why should Jeep undermine that advantage by having less powerful engines than all their competitors (across all trim levels) in the form of the 3.6 Pentastar V6 & 5.7 Hemi V8 as the engine options for the Waggoner...when they can beat all their competiton on this regard by having the 5.7 Hemi V8 & 6.4 Hemi V8* as the engine options for the Waggoner* instead

*At least until the GME-T6 & GME-T6 (PHEV) versions finally arrive.

Have you driven the current versions of the Escalade, Yukon Denali & Tahoe/Suburban? Because their interiors now have signifcant differences from each other compared to previous generations.

Because there is far less badge snobbery in the Pick-Up Sector than there is for other sectors of the Automobile Industry. Not that I have anything against this (in fact I welcome it since I judge a vehicle on its merits rather than by the badge); but rather stating why a Top-Spec Ford, GMC & Ram Pickup can better sell for Premium Prices compared to a Top-Spec Ford or Dodge SUV.

page2171 likes this.
  3. Mopar02

Mopar02 Mopar02

Disappointed they couldn't hide the rear wiper. The latest mules have them positioned on the bottom of the rear glass.

The new GM suvs hide the wiper in the rear spoiler.

HEMI345, UN4GTBL and Chrysler UK like this.
  4. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

Ram isn't a status symbol like they're pushing wagoneer to be. The answer to a lower market might just be letting it be a Chrysler too, if the mpv is still what they want that brand to be made for. if you want it to be priceable up into the six digits it had better be lust worthy and have the right presence on the road. Selling a 60k variant is just going to cheapen the whole line in this case.

Chrysler UK and HotCarNut like this.
  5. HEMI345

HEMI345 Active Member

2022 Jeep® Wagoneer Convoy Continues Across America: - Mopar Insiders
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tony K and T_690 like this.
  6. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

It still stands that GM offered nearly two decades worth of Cadillac Escalades in various guises which are little more than badge engineered Chevy trucks. Our fleet hasn't received any of the newer generation of full size GM SUVs. There have been some serious production delays due to the pandemic.

Back in the 1970s Jeep's solution for the market status ascension of the Wagoneer was to introduce the Cherokee model to replace the lower level trims. Today only Dodge has wide-body trim options.

7. Chrysler UK

I would agree with several others (on this forum) that the Headlights & Grille need to be bigger than what is currently planned*; likewise I also feel that the Window Pillars need to be in Black and that the last set of Windows need to adopt a more "classic" Wagoneer look.

*Although said Grille should remain Illuminated per the concept.

I very much agree that GM should have done more with the GMT800, GMT900 & GMT K2XX versions of the Cadillac Escalade. However from what I have seen & read; I do feel that they have finally got it right with the current GMT1XX version (alongside its Chevrolet Tahoe/Suburban & GMC Yukon counterparts).

In fact the only real issue I have with the current version is that it lacks amenities in the 2nd & 3rd Rows compared to the GLS & X7*. So when GM does a mid-life refresh of said Escalade, they should add the following features:
    • Electronic Adjustmement, Massage Functions, Cooling Functions, Cushioned Headrests, Addtional Air-Vents & Side Airbags to the 2nd Row Seats.
    • Heated 3rd Row Seats
    • Middle Headrests to the 2nd & 3rd Rows
    • 4-Zone Climate Control.
    Hopefully the Wagoneer does end up including all these features.

*Although the Engine Range of the GMT1XX models could be better. I mean instead of having the 5.3L & 6.2L Versions of the LS V8 (Generation V) alongisde the (undepowered) Duramax I6; they should offer said models with the 6.2L Version of the LS V8 (Generation V), the 4.2L Blackwing V8 and the Duramax V8.

Thats understandable. Although I do wonder if GM should establish a 2nd Factory to make their Full-Size SUVs, such as retooling their Orion Assembly plant for example...

8. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

I suspect GM is using a wait and see strategy before committing to anything. So much is out of their hand, as it is with other companies.

Chrysler UK likes this.
  9. Chrysler UK

Agreed; although should GM actuallly introduce BEV versions of their Escalade, Yukon & Tahoe/Suburban, I wouldn't be surprised if Detroit/Hamtramck Assembly ends up becoming their "2nd Factory" for their Full-Size SUVs.

10. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

That's probably a good thing. The cars that have the wipers hidden like that collect so much junk up there it's disgusting

tlc and suzq044 like this.
  11. tomaz

tomaz Well-Known Member

Plus spoilers weren’t on the original Wagoneer. :cool:

12. suzq044

Yes they were. Lol.. optional, but they were there. (Thumbnail below)

ca0813-161063_3@2x.jpg

tlc and valiant67 like this.
  13. gforce2002

gforce2002 Well-Known Member

Those were quite effective in keeping crud from collecting on the rear window! Pre-rear window wiper days.

valiant67 likes this.
  14. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Except they were called an air deflector when mounted on a station wagon. Not sure if it was the same terminology on a Wagoneer?

suzq044, tlc and gforce2002 like this.
  15. XRT2SRT

XRT2SRT Well-Known Member

Could it be because of this, that they have sunken to such reservations?

16. Scottina06

Scottina06 Active Member

17. tomaz

tomaz Well-Known Member

Yea that hood needs a redesign. Needs more emphasis on the center bulge and a strong emblem like the original.

Chrysler UK and serpens like this.
  18. Tomguy

Tomguy Well-Known Member

I 100% agree. Larger bulge, more prominent grille, larger lights. Thin lights may be in on sports cars, but this isn't a sports car. They should be large, loud and proud, like the Ram's.

Chrysler UK likes this.
  19. suzq044

I don't see any perforations in the grille for that lighting setup. That's going to be a real blow to the design, IMO.

[​IMG]

Granted, by the same token, it doesn't seem to have the grille crown [where the WAGONEER goes] either.

Chrysler UK likes this.
  20. gforce2002

gforce2002 Well-Known Member

Other than the Jeep(ish) grill, it's just so... generic.