NewsKeeping the (valve lift) pressure up • Behind the Jeep/Ram spinoff chatter • Demon to beat Exorcist?

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New JL Wrangler pics - now wearing less camoflage

Discussion in 'Mopar News and Rumors' started by corpcow, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Max Wedge

Max Wedge Member

That's what I thought. I would also assume Daimler would rather use that facility for something else. As well as the fact FCA probably doesn't wish to pay the transit charges to get the transmissions from Germany to the USA

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    UN4GTBL likes this.
  2. JKU12

JKU12 Active Member

Glad to get rid of it. Not my favorite transmission.

3. Mike V.

Mike V. Moderator

Yeah it has always had mixed reviews. It's too bad NVG is gone.

Mike

freshforged, link3721 and wtxiceman like this.
  4. Max Wedge

Max Wedge Member

The ZF S6 53 has the the same shift pattern as that which was seen in the wrangler. Any chance that may be the new box. Other posibilities could be a the Getrag G217. Though I dont know that boxes shift pattern. I would not think they would source Tremec for jeep but I may be wrong.

5. Ruptured Duck

Ruptured Duck Member Level 2 Supporter

And repair parts reflect this.
    OK here is my next question.
    Do we think the new 6 speed will be strong enough for the 3.0L diesel?

6. WXman

WXman Member

I don't have confirmation on this, but I'd literally bet my boots that the diesel, if it happens, will be sold with automatic transmission only in the U.S. This is usually because of durability and because it's easier to do emissions controls the way they want to make the EPA happy. Almost all small 4x4s with diesels have been automatic only in the last 15 years.

Ruptured Duck likes this.
  7. Ruptured Duck

Agree about the US. I could see the 6 speed used outside of the 50 states.

8. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic Level 2 Supporter

I sure wish I could get a manual again. I think my Wrangler had a 4 speed manual IIRC, and my Liberty has a 5 speed. It truly sucks in stop-and-go traffic, but otherwise I really enjoy rowing my own gears. The wife doesn't know how to drive one though, and refuses to learn...and she insists that she be able to drive any vehicle we buy. Sheesh...uppity women. :p

But on the flip side, she does seem agreeable to me getting another Wrangler...meh, pick your battles I say. ;):):D

xjgary, UN4GTBL and Mike V. like this.
  9. Mike V.

Mike V. Moderator

Personally, and I don't have confirmation, but I doubt it. The take rate now on JK manuals is pretty darn low and is a flowing tide...

Mike

10. Ruptured Duck

So the next question.
    Will the 6 speed be used in the turbo 4 only and no longer with the Pentastar?
    I hope not. There are a number of really good reasons for a manual when off-road.

11. Mike V.

Mike V. Moderator

I think the manual will be limited to specific configurations and options. What exactly, I don't know.

Mike

12. WXman

WXman Member

If the current automatic trans. was going to be a carry-over, I'd definitely buy the 6-speed manual again. But since we're getting the 8-speed, I think I'll go automatic regardless of which engine option I pick. It'll be a more versatile transmission.

13. dmcdonald

dmcdonald Member

No 4spd manual Wrangler. Manual Wranglers had all been 5spd until the switch to 6spd in 2005.

14. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic Level 2 Supporter

Mine was a 98 TJ with the 4cyl...does that make a difference? I swear it only had a 4 speed...but I could be inventing memories again...

Edit: Actually you are very correct...I just googled it for my own education. It says it had a 5 speed...wow, I really don't remember that (maybe because it was so damn slow). I guess my wife must really be correct about my memory...:)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  15. dmcdonald

dmcdonald Member

LOL....Yup, the last Jeep to see the 4spd manual was the CJ7. :)
    I had a couple of 5spd, 4cyl Wranglers. Speed was not their strong suit. :D

Zagnut27 likes this.