NewsThis really is the 2018 Wrangler “JL” • Red vs black keys: Real-world Hellcat performance • Windsor loses Transport

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New JL Wrangler pics - now wearing less camoflage

Discussion in 'Mopar News and Rumors' started by corpcow, Feb 24, 2017.

1. wilbur

wilbur Member

Neither is the JK with a 3.8L with 3.21 gears... :)

valiant67 likes this.
  2. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave Staff Member Supporter

Ha. Not even in the same ballpark... CJ was light but still... and you want to really know slow? Suzuki Samurai.

xjgary and freshforged like this.
  3. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather Level III Supporter

I had a 3.8 4 speed auto with the optional gears. It was better than I expected, and I expected the 3.6 to be much better. It wasn't as much better as I'd hoped.

4. dmcdonald

dmcdonald Member

LOL....Canadians might remember the early '80s Suzuki SJ410 with the 1.0L engine. (Don't think the US saw this version). It could stop on a dime just from a headwind!

xjgary likes this.
  5. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic Level 2 Supporter

A buddy of mine in college had a late 80's Subaru wagon. Talk about slow! I think the manual trans had three positions...reverse, neutral, and extra slow. What a rust bucket too! :) But it was one of the vehicles I learned to drive stick on, so by the time I had my Wrangler it was second nature. :D

6. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather Level III Supporter

Man those old Subarus rusted bad. I don't think my Grandmother's made it 5 years before it was scrapped. I know it had just over 25k miles but it was rusted and no longer safe.

Zagnut27 likes this.
  7. IMPERIAL4EVER

IMPERIAL4EVER Member

Loved my in-line 4.0 with the 3 speed auto. Upon start up, the entire engine would twist the jeep as the 4.0 turned over.

8. wilbur

wilbur Member

I agree, I had a JK 3.8 6 sp. with 3.73 gears and loved it. It was a blast in the snow when you turned HAL off...

I drove a '15 JK 3.6L, 6 spd with 3.21 gears and it was a slug... So disappointed. Even now, I wouldn't buy a JK with out at least 3.73 gears.

Wil

9. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic Level 2 Supporter

Yup. This was in the early 90's (93 or 94?), so I assume it was an 80's model because of all the rust...but you never can tell. It looked like a few flakes of yellowish paint held together by rust...lol. Boy was it slow. If we hit 55 on the highway we were lucky! :)

10. zack_falcon

zack_falcon Member

FWIW, the diesel JKs here in the Philippines always come with autos - though the website lists the manual as 'available' (which was eventually removed).

As much as I would like a manual diesel, the manual's never been available here.

11. JKU12

JKU12 Active Member

Tough call for me. 40 years old an never owned an automatic. Do I give in??

Ruptured Duck and UN4GTBL like this.
  12. JKU12

JKU12 Active Member

TJ 4.0 5 speed to a JKU 3.6 6 speed with 3.73 and the JKU is light years more peppy. Let's remember, the Wrangler is a rolling brick (poor aero and heavy weight). Slow and steady is the way to go. Can't go too fast or you'll miss the wave opportunity.

UN4GTBL and xjgary like this.
  13. 12soldier

12soldier Member

I've had a few manuals as well. But the biggest thing that keeps me from wanting one again is theft. I've had a friend have his stollen by it being put into neutral and pushed down the road before they hot wired it. It was parked on the street and I'm sure the steering column locked, but once they were out of view they were gone along with all his estimated $10,000 in aftermarket equipment.

14. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Active Member

I've always wondered if they are as much of a liability as they might be an asset in that kind of event. As in, you always hear news reports of thieves that give up on a car because it's a manual.

Granted, a lot of automatics have an easy defeat interlock as well.

Dave Z likes this.
  15. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave Staff Member Supporter

You know how you get around having an automatic in Park? You tow it with the driven wheels up. [sigh] I guess AWD is safer.

UN4GTBL likes this.