AF: New JL Wrangler pics - now wearing less camoflage | Page 24 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New JL Wrangler pics - now wearing less camoflage

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by corpcow, Feb 24, 2017.

1. WXman

WXman Well-Known Member

2. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

I agree with you and will add that the only way a small Jeep works IMO is if FCA comes out with a WRX fighter and wins some rally championships with it. They'd have to do it right. I don't know how conceivable putting different suspensions for a Chrysler family car aimed at the Corolla/Elantra and a Dodge Sports car aimed at the Civic SI/Focus ST with the same platform.

3. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

[​IMG]

Downtown Los Angeles isn't the best place to run a red, especially when people with cameras are nearby.

This time around, cameras weren’t the only thing to catch this Jeep Wrangler prototype on the streets of Los Angeles. Presumably spooked by an up-close camera and not keen on giving the photographer an extended at-rest opportunity to click off shots, the driver booted the heavily camouflaged Jeep through the red light. LA officers were not impressed, but the rumor is they only gave the driver a warning.

In the meantime, a few up-close photos were nabbed but they don’t reveal too much we don’t already know, especially since a couple uncovered photos leaked last month. Jeep is obviously keeping the next-generation Wrangler close to its boxy roots, though things will be a bit less chunky and upright underneath all that camo. The hood certainly appears longer, and while we can’t see the rooftop in these shots, previous Wranglers have been seen with removable roof panels for open-air enjoyment on hardtops. We also expect to see LED fender lights, and possibly LED tail lights as well.

It’s quite possible that Jeep will unveil the 2018 Wrangler later this year at the Los Angeles Auto Show, with sales beginning early next year. It should have a range of power options including a turbocharged four-cylinder and the familiar 3.6 V6, with hybrid powertrains sure to follow. Shifting the Wrangler though town or trails will likely be an eight-speed automatic or six-speed manual.

https://www.motor1.com/news/143160/2018-jeep-wrangler-traffic-lights/

Jeep JL Wrangler Mule Gets Pulled Over in Downtown L.A.! (at http://www.fourwheeler.com/news/1704-jeep-jl-wrangler-mule-gets-pulled-over-in-downtown-la/ )

#463 redriderbob, Apr 20, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    UN4GTBL, dakota21, dmcdonald and 3 others like this.
  4. Ruptured Duck

Ruptured Duck Active Member

5. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

Must gotta Hellcat in that thang! ;)

6. JKU12

JKU12 Well-Known Member

Well, we know he wasn't pulled over for speeding.....

xjgary likes this.
  7. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

A few years ago, after remembering the kick panel fresh air vents on old cars I came up with an idea.
    Install integrated fan oil coolers in the fenders behind the front wheels. They could be used as transmission or power steering fluid coolers.
    Pulling air from the hot engine compartment to the outside. Help keep things cool while off roading.
    I never checked to see if any old Jeeps had room for such an idea. And the plumbing issues may have made it a no go even if there was room.
    And it would never work on newer vehicles, just no room at all.

So are the vents on the JL to reduce under hood temperature or to vent trapped turbulent air in the wheel wells increasing mpg?

8. Ruptured Duck

9. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

Like what if the new hinges allow for the door to be simply lifted off once open nearly 180 degrees without the need to remove any bolts/nuts?

10. link3721

link3721 Yes, This MK Goes Off-Road

That'd be neat, but might be a security issue. Also can't forget about the wiring harness. Supposed to be detents at the least.

11. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

Yeah, the idea being a slot in the hinge that couldn't align unless the check strap and wiring harness were already disconnected...

12. dakota21

Supporter

So I took this picture in Toledo last weekend. Is this the JL under the cover? Might just be a covered JK there to get people hyped up.
    tmp_32276-13398_1-164520178.jpg

UN4GTBL, j8jeeper, 12soldier and 4 others like this.
  13. 12soldier

12soldier Well-Known Member

Probably just a special color or model edition. Doubt they'd leave a jewel like the JL out like that this early.

dakota21 and Ryan like this.
  14. dakota21

Supporter

Yup. I'd be afraid someone would try and jump the fence and pull the cover off.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  15. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

It's not JL.

16. Ruptured Duck

You know i was looking back at those grainy studio image shots that basically give you the JL in full view. I noticed two things (maybe they have been mentioned before?)

(1) The rear seats (image with doors removed) looks to show two distinct rear seats and not a bench seat. Very cool options and was hinted in the Moab concepts. If offered as an option I think it would sell. Side note to this would be a interesting solution for a long wheel base hard top version with a third row seating. Now you have easy entry into the back seats.

(2) As noted by us here almost 2 years ago the front seats do appear to have built in grab handles in the back sides below the headrest.

17. oh2o

Level III Supporter

Little birdie says: watch the internet tomorrow for some very revealing and as yet unseen pics of the JL...

18. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

The internet breaks tomorrow in Jeep Land :D

Mike

JKU12, danbek and 12soldier like this.
  19. K-9

K-9 Well-Known Member

The internet will kerplode! Great, now I won't be able to get anything done tomorrow until I see the pictures! :D