AF: New JL Wrangler pics - now wearing less camoflage | Page 27 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New JL Wrangler pics - now wearing less camoflage

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by corpcow, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

We talk about these vehicles for so long that when they're finally revealed it's almost anticlimactic.

Well...almost.

It is still a Jeep, and I'll still be excited anyway. :)

xjgary, UN4GTBL and suzq044 like this.
  2. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

That statement is true.... its kinda like knowing what your Christmas gifts are before opening them. But I still like knowing as much as possible lol.

James A, K-9, suzq044 and 1 other person like this.
  3. unverferth

unverferth Well-Known Member

While it was parked would you have been able to look inside ?

4. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

I was hoping too.:) As soon as the driver got out, she put a car cover over the whole vehicle. I got a bit of the hairy eyeball when she and the other driver came back out and got ready to leave. It was pretty obvious they were trained to keep a low profile and hide the vehicles well without making a show of it. I got a real kick out the whole cloak and dagger feel of the situation.

Zagnut27 and Devildodge like this.
  5. Mr. Fusion

Mr. Fusion Well-Known Member

Finally got some spy pics of my own! I saw this JL last week in my neighborhood, but couldn't get a shot off. I saw it again this morning, same time of day, same neighborhood, but this time I was able to get a few shots thanks to a red light (and me needing to stop for gas). I can provide the full-size images if anyone wants to study in more detail.

(This is Los Angeles/Koreatown, btw.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

xjgary, Zagnut27, dakrt99 and 2 others like this.
  6. Ruptured Duck

Ruptured Duck Active Member

Thats the new soft top design you see there. Count the bows. Much better design than the current. There was an aftermarket top at SEMA shown by Webasto that worked the same way. It's all called out in one of their patents. I'll look for the number later today. Just back from a working vacation and have not even looked at anything JL related for almost 2 weeks...

Funny thing is there is an aftermarket accessories company already offering (2) JL's in a giveaway promo. Even have CAD rendered JL's.

Zagnut27 and GasAxe like this.
  7. Ruptured Duck

There is some new products being offered in the aftermarket that could be an indicator of possible features of the JL. In this case soft top colors. I know its been reported that there will be two colors offered but maybe there will be more. Bestop has expanded some colors in their Trextop NX Glide design. These colors include Tan, Blue, Red (more burgundy), Gray, and Beige. I can tell you that in the past these colors have not always sold well and one reason why you really see limited colors offered in the aftermarket.
    If these colors become a OE option it then makes sense to roll this into your aftermarket parts.
    Just thinking out loud here.

8. WXman

WXman Active Member

If the 270 lb/ft rumor is true, then it's already better than the miserable Pentastar which has very little torque advantage over the 20 year old "minivan engine" it replaced. Bonus points if the 270 figure ends up being low. And, since it's a forced induction engine, it'll be more tuneable in the aftermarket for power gains than a N/A setup.

Sure, guys will balk at it in the beginning. But if FCA plays their cards right, they'll end up selling more Hurricanes than any other engine option.

xjgary likes this.
  9. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

I wonder if they'll offer multiple colors for soft-top bed covers for JT as well. If I'm lucky enough to get one eventually it might be an option I'd be interested in.

10. JKU12

JKU12 Well-Known Member

260 is miserable, but 270 is great?

Zagnut27 and UN4GTBL like this.
  11. Chase300

Chase300 Well-Known Member

Its more when you get the 260 or 270 in the rpm range than the number difference.

xjgary likes this.
  12. WXman

WXman Active Member

Who said 270 was great?

What I said, in response to the question "will it be trail worthy", is that even at the rumored 270 figure it's already better than what we've got now.

So, yes, Hurricane will be very trail worthy.

Bonus points if the 270 figure ends up low.

13. Orsalak

Orsalak Active Member

This isn't entirely on topic but it isn't too far off I guess..... Any ideas on the towing/hauling capacities of this truck. Let's say the highest possible as I know there will be multiple engines. I also know these will be guesses.

14. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels The "Front-Line" Perspective

I'm hoping for 5,000 lbs minimum and a Max Tow of 6,500 lbs. I know I know - Grand Cherokee/Durango pull north of 7,000lbs, but I think that 6,500 is reasonable considering these things are going to be heavy, top-heavy, and current Unlimiteds only pull 3,600 lbs.

Mike V. likes this.
  15. Ruptured Duck

Looks like the crystal ball (Allpar) nailed it!

As for towing this is a really good questions and the biggest on my mind currently. I want this truck but need the ability to tow (ideally) up to 7,000lbs. If it has the diesel, 8speed (or manual) and a decent rear axle than I think it will be possible. Some of the mules running around have a 7 pin connector that is common for class 3. If there was any one thing that might kill the towing ability it would be a liability issue with a possible soft top version. If no soft top it then becomes a question of the cab construction in my opinion.

16. JKU12

JKU12 Well-Known Member

I thought the towing limitations on Wrangler are due to other factors that make it off road worthy. Going from 3500 to 7000 seems unlikely?

17. Ruptured Duck

The JK's ability to go off road (suspension travel) may be a factor but a stock JK with stock tires really was no different than any truck or large SUV on the market in regards to handling and center of gravity.

I would think the JT would need to be different than the JL because it is a truck. The drive train upgrades as a whole seem to point to an increased towing capacity across the board. Maybe with the rework of the sport bar design to a more integrated design will help.
    The JK's frame on body construction was likely able to tow more, and people have, but was restricted due to liability reasons in my opinion. I have no solid facts and would love to hear the correct reason from those with the knowledge.

18. unverferth

unverferth Well-Known Member

19. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

The door & fender detail are missing.