AF: New JL Wrangler pics - now wearing less camoflage | Page 28 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New JL Wrangler pics - now wearing less camoflage

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by corpcow, Feb 24, 2017.

1. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

I wish Bob Sheaves was still here because he had all the facts. From what I remember (and if I'm wrong, somebody please correct me), the ability to pull in a straight line isn't the limiting factor but the twisting that comes from the softer suspension hurts the tow rating. Think of how the trailer is pushing on the rear when going around a corner while the body rolls on that high travel suspension. Too high a weight can make the vehicle turn turtle.

Dave Z, JKU12 and link3721 like this.
  2. link3721

link3721 Yes, This MK Goes Off-Road

Drivetrain is not the towing limiting factor, V6 Grand Cherokee can pull over 6000 lb. It's the increased off-road requirements of the Wrangler that are the limiting factor. Don't expect much if any increase for the JL. JT may have an increase due to the longer wheelbase but how much is to be determined. Maybe 5000 lb is possible given the increase from 2000 to 3500 for the 2dr to 4dr.

JKU12 likes this.
  3. WXman

WXman Active Member

Suspension and drivetrain on JK and especially JKU is equal to or more robust than all the mid-size pickup trucks on the market.

I always thought the limiting factor for towing is the fact that the receiver hitch bolts to the rear crossmember on the JKU, rather than bolting length-wise down both frame rails like other trucks. Therefore, you get a large amount of torsional pressure applied to that crossmember while towing. This prevents the JKU from having the ability to be rated for higher tongue weight.

Dave Z, xjgary, JKU12 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

I seem to remember someone (Norm??) mentioning this before when referring to towing capacity for Wranglers. I was trying to find the post from the search menu with no luck.

5. WXman

WXman Active Member

I just remember buying a receiver hitch for mine, and when it showed up in the mail it was in a box the size of a shoe box. I thought they sent the wrong item. Nope, it's just that the JKU hitches are small and bolt to only a crossmember. I honestly was a little concerned about towing my utility trailer with it, but I stayed under 3,000 lbs. and it was fine.

JT will likely be configured very differently, and if it uses a hitch that bolts down the frame rails I don't see why the rating couldn't go way up. I mean, the suspension design on Wrangler is basically a miniature version of what we see on Ram 2500.

Zagnut27 likes this.
  6. JKU12

JKU12 Well-Known Member

If they can increase towing capability, great. If not, oh well. The Wrangler can't literally be everything to everyone. It needs to worry most about towing things from an off roading perspective, not necessarily from a "I want to take a boat to the lake" point of view.

7. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

A soft supple suspension offers a lot of travel for keeping the tires in contact with the ground on uneven terrain.
    Those characteristics come into play when determining tow rating.
    Just because the engine, transmission, axles, brakes and frame might be strong enough, if the suspension can't control it it isn't going to have a high rating.
    My guess is no more than 5000 lbs for the JT.

JKU12 and GasAxe like this.
  8. valiant67

valiant67 ...

The only towing advantage the truck would have over a normal or Unlimited Wrangler is a longer wheelbase.

9. CherokeeVision

And if that longer wheelbase provides more stability and control the JT might have a higher rating, if stability and control are the limiting factors on the JL.

10. wtxiceman

wtxiceman Well-Known Member

If the rear leaf springs are too stiff like they would be for increased capacity wouldn't it limit the articulation? ?

11. CherokeeVision

Yep. Everything is a trade off.
    I wonder if some technology like electric sway bar disconnect and automatic adjustable air springs, could provide a bit more latitude in the equation of off road versus towing.

GasAxe and wtxiceman like this.
  12. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

Was it confirmed by one of our sources that the 2 door would have the same wb as the 4 door or was that speculation?

13. xjgary

xjgary Well-Known Member

Zagnut27, JKU12 and ScramFan like this.
  14. JKU12

JKU12 Well-Known Member

Home Run x4 coming our way.

15. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels The "Front-Line" Perspective

Not that it's confirmation or anything, but @Mike V. "liked" my 5,000 lbs minimum, 6,500 max tow comment... ;)

Ruptured Duck likes this.
  16. wilbur

wilbur Well-Known Member

17. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

No confirmation of any kind, sorry.

Mike

BobbiBigWheels and xjgary like this.
  18. CherokeeVision

Perhaps not but that shorter bed on a 4 door versus the 2 door is what I would buy.
    If I wanted the length of a Ram 2500, I'd buy a Ram 2500.

GasAxe, UN4GTBL and freshforged like this.
  19. xjgary

xjgary Well-Known Member

The cut angle is to match the angle of the door. But I don't like it either and it seems that in a twisty off camber situation the cab would hit the bed when one twisted more than the other. As this is a drawing and speculation lets hope the fianl product does not have this.

20. wilbur

wilbur Well-Known Member

I meant the lower angle doesn't work. I am not as worried about the size of the bed and agree, if I wanted to haul anything of size, I would use my 3/4 ton also..

Wil