AF: New lights for the 2018 Wrangler? | Page 3 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New lights for the 2018 Wrangler?

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Dave Z, Dec 29, 2015.

1. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

I know my Dart had the factory HID's - they were as good as BMW's, I only know that, because I thought I was seeing the beam of the BMW in front of me, and it turned out to be my own.
    [​IMG]

Many people think that Projector = HID; and that can be a problem, because it's usually the first thing people mod [adding HID to their halogen headlights] outside of changing their wheels or adding an intake.

As far as blinding oncoming traffic, people don't tend to adjust their headlights after they install a lift-kit to their trucks or suv's. They also don't seem to give a [bleep] if they are blinding everyone else on the road.

XRT2SRT, aldo90731 and UN4GTBL like this.
  2. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Cherokee lighting, even in non-HID trim is far superior to Wrangler lighting. I've had both.

aldo90731 and dmcdonald like this.
  3. dmcdonald

dmcdonald Well-Known Member

No, they don't.

valiant67 likes this.
  4. Jerry Simcik

Jerry Simcik Well-Known Member

The Challenger has the best DRLs of any Mopar - hand's down.

MPE426HEMI and UN4GTBL like this.
  5. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Allpar Legacy

Agreed!

I also like the new Rams/Chargers/Durango/Grand Cherokees with the LED DRLs

Jerry Simcik likes this.
  6. AutoTechnician

AutoTechnician Well-Known Member

Eh, headlights are pretty low power - around 70-110 watts for both bulbs combined. Less for LED and HID systems. That's about 1/7th HP worth of electrical power, which still isn't much when you factor in that your average automotive alternator is only round ~60% efficient.

HotCarNut likes this.
  7. D0C

D0C Well-Known Member

I just got a 2016 unlimited and I must agree the headlights are dim, difficult to tell if they are on unless I see them shining off something.
    For those of you with LED headlights, do you ever have issue with snow covering them up? Regular headlights seem to create enough heat to melt the flakes, but LEDs do not create the same heat.

8. j8jeeper

j8jeeper Active Member

Never had an issue with my Rigid industries, My dads Quadratec units do seem to collect snow. We have changed over to the
    Putco luminix units for the mines, and these seem to be the best we have tried so far. The housing works as a heat sink to clear the ice.
    They look goofy, but the light output is by far the best I have seen.

9. HotCarNut

HotCarNut Defender of Reality
    Level III Supporter

I also really like the GC and the 300S DRLs....using the LED strip lighting as the DRL. Doesn't use a lot of power and makes it easier to tell. It's a signature look.

UN4GTBL, valiant67 and suzq044 like this.
  10. HotCarNut

Level III Supporter

I noticed that the Putcos are 6000 lumens vs 1900 for the Quadratecs. Are they too bright for normal road use?

They do look goofy, but I care more about functionality and safety than I do looking goofy....

11. Seagondollar

Seagondollar Active Member

Harley Davidson has had some very nice LED round headlights for a few years now. Riders I've asked about them say they seem like solid bright light below the cutoff line all the way across.

12. Ruptured Duck

Ruptured Duck Active Member

For companies looking to sell the LED's the snow-ice build up can be a problem. Here in the south we get snow falls at or around 32deg. This ='s wet heavy sticky build up that is hard for the LEDs to melt off. I cannot speak for colder climates where the snow would clear easier or faster (assumed). The Trucklites did not melt the snow very well at all but They are now selling the heated lens design. Its patented so others are finding work arounds to solve the heating needs. Simple resistor tied to the aluminum housings should produce enough heat to keep housings above 32.

The current LED's I'm running are wonderful and include two features that are nice. They have DRLs similar to the Camaro's where they are not a full halo. There are two elliptical outer bands that are eliminated. These outer strips are the DRL's that have separate wiring. The lights also include a turn signal cutoff for the DRLs. When the turn signals are switched on the corresponding DRL turns off so only the flasher is seen.

HotCarNut likes this.
  13. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

My 1995 Grand Cherokee had awesome lights!

14. j8jeeper

j8jeeper Active Member

They are DOT approved, No issue there.

HotCarNut likes this.
  15. HotCarNut

Level III Supporter

Which ones are you running currently?

16. Moparian

Moparian Well-Known Member

Dart, 200 Cherokee and Town & Country all offer HID option.

17. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

Same with my wk grand. The reflector housings feel like they do a better job than my hids did in my dart, but I suspect it's because there is not as sharp of a cut off with reflectors versus hid / projectors.

Ik I can see a lot more with the brights of my jeep than I could with the brights of the dart. My reaction to using the brights for the first time in the jeep after coming from the dart was a verbal "wow" & a stupid giggle, lol. (Brights are a requirement for rural living) Again, it could be the difference of ride height and softer cut off than the projector housings allow for.

18. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Well-Known Member

Agree. The dashlight alone on my 2011 DGC is enough to blind anyone and makes it hard to see anything through the windshield at night. Plus the dull headlamps.

19. Jerry Simcik

IMO, this is a red herring. Halogen lights don't melt the snow/ice in those conditions either. I've had to clean off my halogen headlights many, many, many times. (And if if they do remain ice free, they still get grimy/dirty, so you're going to have to clean them off anyway...)

20. Jerry Simcik

Yes, I see that now. (Well, except T&C. I simply forgot about it.) I have yet to see one of these on the road, however. They hide the HIDs in a technology package that it seems most dealers/customers don't order on their vehicles. This makes me question why they're still not available on the Rams even more, however...