Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New member from Arizona

Discussion in 'Welcome to Allpar!' started by Brian5150, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Brian5150

Brian5150 New Member

Hi
    My name is Brian and I just joined forum as I just brought home a '95 Dodge Ram 2500 HD last night. It is nothing to look at, but boy oh boy is it a tank. I will have lots of questions probably as I am more familiar with Chevy. Not that I am a expert with Chevys, like most, I learn as I go.
    I am originally from Buffalo, NY, but have been in AZ since 2005 teaching Jr high. I am in Mesa for a couple more weeks and then going out to Parker, AZ. If you are not familiar with it, it is in the middle of the desert, south of Lake Havasu City. Awesome little town - home of Parker 425 - great desert racing.
    Anyways, look forward to learning on this site. Thanks
    Brian

Zagnut27 and wolfsblood07 like this.
  2. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Welcome to Allpar!

I , too, am a former Buffalo native. Well actually Tonawanda, but close enough. Still have cousins that live there.

3. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

Welcome to Allpar, Brian. I have a good friend that's moving to Sun City West in about a month. I can't believe how frigging hot it is out there right now. Stay cool, if you can.

4. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

We survive 2 months of hot weather for the rest of the year. We have a/c in cars, house and stores and shop at the later hours. When living here you know it is going to get hot in the summer. When it gets above 110 their is no difference if it is 110 or 119, its hot.

Zagnut27 and JavelinAMX like this.
  5. Brian5150

Brian5150 New Member

It is hot, that's for sure. I will say, though, that my blood has thinned out so that the heat doesn't bother me the way it originally did. And I get cold easier. I used to laugh and snicker to myself when I would see people wearing hooded sweatshirts and jackets and pants when it was in the 60s and 70s, but now I feel it too. It dips below 80 and my wife and I are reaching for the extra blankets. Haha
    Somebody ( I am sorry, not sure how to look at post and not lose this one) had said how it's bad for about 2 months and we plan for it, etc. That is very true. I always tell people that we treat the summer in AZ the way we used to treat the winter in Buffalo - go out only if you have to. Do the minimum. I do, however, as stupid as it sounds, notice a difference between 106 and 116. That extra 10 or 11 degrees is noticeable, especially when trying to keep animals cool outside. When I tell that to my dad, he tells me I'm nuts - hot is hot. Haha
    Thanks again guys
    Brian

JavelinAMX likes this.
  6. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

Welcome to AllPar -

You're singing my song. I'm in the West Valley. Been here since late 2004.

Noticed people here in the Phoenix area ( not just Phx proper ) get ' Brain Addled ' from extended Hundred-and-Teens weather. There does seem to be a threshold where the heat chumps people up more than would otherwise be experienced.

I was born in SoCal roughly four miles inland from the Beaches, and lived there for decades before my employer relocated their business and their employees to the Phoenix-Metro area. So, moving from close to what I would call perfect weather ( natural air conditioning from the sea breezes; needing, perhaps, just a fan to offset most heatwave temperatures; "suffering" from early Summer daily overcast weather referred to as June Gloom ), then settling into the Desert Floor was an eye-opener. Met some really fabulous people here, however.

Can't disagree when people say, "Hot is Hot." It IS.

7. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

Another thing about living here is we really don't get a lot of violent weather. We get storms but rare tornadoes , earthquakes and never hurricanes. So the biggest thing is the heat and I kind of like it,it gets rid of the wimps. Also you notice where a lot of people go in the winter Arizona.

wolfsblood07 likes this.
  8. Brian5150

Brian5150 New Member

Hey Doug, we came here from Lancaster, but we know Tonawanda and N. Tonawanda well. All of our family is still there -- Lancaster, Cheektowaga, Clarence, Grand Island. My brother, who's is a Lancaster policeman, just bought a house in Depew. Small world. Been here about 12 years, and my wife just got stung by a scorpion for the first time. Never had to worry about that in western NY. Haha - she is ok

9. sickboy

sickboy Well-Known Member

Ha! I'm also a Brian from buffalo (Hamburg). If youre looking for help, the technical support and help section of these forums are monitored by some of the most informative and genuinely helpful people I have never met! Answers come surprisingly quick in my experience. When you get a chance, put up a pic of your ram, I always love to see someone else's pride and joy.

10. wolfsblood07

wolfsblood07 Active Member

To me the desert heat of Phoenix is a lesser evil than brutally cold winter weather, especially now that air conditioning is so common. You can go about your daily routine without much extra effort, i.e. drive, walk, ride a motorcycle or bicycle, etc. And heat is like an elixir as the sun seems to bake out germs that cause colds and flus. Use a good sunblock, stay hydrated and cool off in air conditioned buildings and it's tolerable. By contrast, blizzards and temps below 25°F cause a lot more grief, and generally are horrible.

#10 wolfsblood07, Jun 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
    geraldg likes this.
  11. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

I'd rather deal with the dry heat of AZ than the humid heat we have back here on the east coast. Yeah, it may only be 95 F, but when the humidity is high (as it is 2/3 of the time) if feels like walking around with a wet blanket. We often have a heat index (feel like temperature) of 105 F - 110 F. The bitter cold winters is among one of many factors why my family left NY 41 years ago. You couldn't pay me enough to go back and live there.

Zagnut27 and wolfsblood07 like this.
  12. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

People back east do not know about evap cooling and misters which in high humidity do not work.

13. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

When my grandmother passed away back in the early 90's, we went out to visit my Dad's brother and his family to help settle her estate. We were living near Utica, NY at the time so going out to the Phoenix/Sun City area in the summer was quite an experience. We were standing in my Uncle's garage going through my Grandmother's things while it's 115 degrees outside. We were dying, but my relatives who lived there didn't seem to mind so much. Mind you, in Central NY it never got very hot in the summer (but the winters were absolutely brutal) so we were definitely not accustomed to that.

Afterwards, we drove up to Prescott, and I rode with my cousin. The AC in his Chevy SUV (whatever their equivalent to the Bronco?) was not working. We drove with the windows open, but the air coming in felt like a blast furnace. I don't think I fell asleep so much as I passed out from the heat. :D

I've been to a lot of states, but I must say Arizona was one of my favorites. Very beautiful state.

14. multimopes

multimopes Member

Hi Brian, Welcome to Allpar, I too am a Brian! I have relatives in AZ and my sister & her husband lived there twice over the years. I am in NJ and trying desperately to get out. I have a 99 Dodge 1500 Ram 4x4, so you are speaking my language. I've only had it for a couple years and it's well used but man what a great truck! I have only had Mopars all my life. Had an 82 Ramcharger 4x4 for 24 years; I gave it to my brother because his 1980 3/4 ton Dodge was wearing out. So many good folks here to help out that you can feel the warmth; not that you need it !!!

15. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

Welcome Brian.

16. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

Do they use swamp coolers in AZ? Back in 78 when I was in NM, the house I stayed in had a swamp cooler in the attic and that thing moved some air! Kept the house nice and cool too.

17. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

Yes they still have them and they work quite well. Also a lot of restaurants have outdoor misting systems which also work.

18. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

I have a friend that just moved to Sun City West and she's complaining about the heat. She doesn't even know if she has a swamp cooler. She said the a/c unit is on top of the house! Is that normal for AZ or does that indicate a swamp cooler? Nick's swamp cooler was in the attic.

19. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

A lot of a/c are mounted on the roof here. She probably has a a/c unit my advise to her is get a serviceman out to check it. I have a/c in my house and set it at 80 degrees and it is fine. If she had a swamp cooler their would be 2 units mounted on the roof or the a/c could be on the side of the house, in newer developments. The cooler would be on the roof.

chuzz likes this.
  20. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info, Gerald. I'll pass it on. She's a tiny woman, 4'10" and 84 lbs. She's tough as nails, though.