Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Member From Idaho

Discussion in 'Welcome to Allpar!' started by FLynes, May 30, 2017.

1. FLynes

FLynes New Member

Hi everyone,

My first car was a 1965 Plymouth Satellite, when I was an 18 year-old Private in the Army. It had the 318 wide block, A-engine, Poly, whatever you want to call it. The gas gauge didn't work, the driver's side cowl was rusted through, one of the freeze plugs was rusted through too & the radiator seam split, but it fit a bunch of my friends, so I was the popular guy. I learned how to turn wrenches, because of that car...I still have a piece of shrapnel in my right thumb bone from it!

I was married to my first wife one month shy of 10 years, before I lost her to metastatic breast cancer. We had two kids together. I got remarried to a wonderful woman who lost her husband to liver cancer; we've been together just over 11 years now. In 2012 I retired from the Army, after having served 21 years. We were living in Texas at the time, but my wife lost her mother to cancer in 2014, so we packed up and moved to Idaho, to be near my father-in-law. He gave me 1-1/2 acres of his land, and we built the house of our dreams.

We've owned several Mopars over the years, all trucks...1973 Fireball motorhome on a 1972 MB300 chassis with the 360, 1996 2500 5.9 Magnum, 2001 3500 CTD and a 2005 2500 CTD. We currently own a 1976 Jeep CJ-5 (my daily driver), a 2001 BMW 740iL (the wife's ride), a 2004 Ford F350 6.0 (the bane of my existence) and our 1976 Monaco motorhome on a 1975 MB300 chassis with the 360. I'm in the process of putting in a new power plant and converting from a 2BBL to a 4BBL, using a factory cast iron intake from a 1983 318 van and a ThermoQuad that I rebuilt, from a 1975 truck.

We bought the motorhome for $500 from the 2nd owner's widow. It had 58,276 miles on it and had never had a roof leak ever. My original plan was to replace all of the gaskets/seals and the lousy plastic nylon timing set. It had a vacuum leak from hell too. Normally I'm a K.I.S.S. type of guy...had I been, when I started poking around, I would have seen that it had a vacuum hose disconnected from the reservoir, and I probably wouldn't have dug any further. For whatever reason, I decided to pop the heads and I found a visible casting flaw between the #5 & #7 cylinders...I'm surprised the head gaskets never blew. That's the reason for the new power plant...$1595, no core charge, free shipping, and I picked out the camshaft, a Mopar Performance P4452759AE, which should give me good low-end torque.

I'll be refreshing the LoadFlite 727 with a new filter and pan gasket and I'm replacing the 16.5" wheels and tires with 16" wheels and 225/75R16E tires...the smallest 16" tire I can get in that load range that is closest in size to the original 8.00-16.5's...I'll be off by 1MPH at 55MPH.

I look forward to learning as much as possible from you all. Even at almost 44 years old, I still have a bunch to learn. I've been on other forums with that one "expert" who's always right, and I just don't understand them. What kills me is you have to grin, while they dress you down, because if you fight back, you're at fault. I don't much like that, because I've never been one to take someone else's garbage. It got me banned from another site, when that "one" guy told me I was dead wrong about the 402 in my 1972 Suburban. He had never heard of the L47 8.3:1 compression version used in GM trucks from 70-72. Long story short, I called him an idiot and told him I wouldn't trust him to put a rubber band on a model airplane...that was a no-no.

I'll watch my P's & Q's here, promise ;)

Fred
    Retired Army Guy
    1975 MB300
    1976 AMC/Jeep CJ-5

2. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

Welcome to Allpar, Fred and thank you very much for your service. This is a great web-site and Dave Z (admin) dose NOT tolerate people flaming on one another. You'll be a great asset here as it seems like you've been turning wrenches on Mopars for a while. As for the age thing, no big deal. I'm 60 and have been working on my own cars for as long as you've been around and I STILL come here for help and to learn new things. Sorry to hear about the fist wife and your MIL. Cancer sucks. I think most of us on the forum have been affected in one way or another by it.

3. FLynes

FLynes New Member

I appreciate the welcome, Chuck, thanks. I was just thinking, while reading your reply, that I was using the thick Hemmings hardcopy, to find someone who made true dual exhaust for my '72 Suburban. I found a guy in Cleveland, Georgia who had the original jig for the Longhorn pickup truck...same wheel base (and same chassis, IIRC) as my Burb...$147 shipped, including mufflers. Took me several days to find that. Today, Google would find it in under 3 seconds.

Amazing how the internet has changed our lives.

chuzz likes this.
  4. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

You will find when you are too old to learn you can still give. :)