AF: New member needs help Thermostat | Page 3 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New member needs help Thermostat

Discussion in 'EEK! - Every Extended-K Car' started by LeeBurbaugh, Aug 3, 2011.

1. LeeBurbaugh

LeeBurbaugh New Member

Do they come with instructions? I will attempt to get some next week and probably get a nephew to help me install them. Sure would be nice to have this squeal gone.

2. LeeBurbaugh

LeeBurbaugh New Member

Ok, I clicked on the link provided to the other thread, and got the part number from that thread. Then I called the Chrysler dealer here and they'll have the bushings tomorrow. Though here they are $4.30 each. And I told the salesperson I needed two. I hope this is the right part because in the other thread they were talking about a different car and someone mentioned going to the junk yard and getting the passenger and driver side ones. That doesn't sound right to me. From this thread:

http://www.allpar.co...mount-bushings/

3. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned that you should check the clamps on your radiator hoses and heater hoses. I had a similar problem on a 94 Spirit and discovered that I had a loose hose clamp on the lower radiator hose. It was just loose enough to have a small amount of seepage and was sucking air in when I turned the car off. Check the hose clamps too.

4. LeeBurbaugh

LeeBurbaugh New Member

Some one did mention that and I did check them. None were loose. But I saw a hose, made of metal, and it is all rusty and looks to be leaking, I think. the block looks wet behind it. It attaches to the bottome of the thermostat housing and runs around the engine housing, on the outside.

5. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

That's the hose to the intake manifold, it's used for pre-heating the air/fuel mixture for cold operation. I don't believe you can buy anything but junkyard for replacement, but you can unscrew each end and replace it entirely with 5/8" heater hose.

6. mydodgedip

mydodgedip Fleet Owner

Correct Bob, I tried to chase one for my station wagon. Not available from the dealer, not available aftermarket. There were some good ones in the junkyard here so I grabbed one, stripped it and painted it before putting it on.

7. LeeBurbaugh

LeeBurbaugh New Member

Well, it's not leaking as I thought. I touched the wet spot and it was grease. But it is rather rusty. Don't know if I should change it or just leave it. The Bushings are at the dealers and I'll pick them up Thursday, and my nephew is going to install them for me.

Another question about the air conditioner, my brother took the belts off because the air conditioner does not work. He says he thinks it's the compressor, I don't know for sure. But I really don't need an air conditioner anyway. I never used the one in my truck that worked fine. Can I remove the compressor?

And I still have to figure out why the heater isn't working before winter comes around in late October.

8. LeeBurbaugh

LeeBurbaugh New Member

Just thought I would give you guys an update on my radiator problem. It's fixed. I have another nephew who is pretty car savvy and he found two vacuum hoses not connected. He reconnected them and now the overflow is working as it should and I believe the air is gone too. I haven't had to keep adding water everyday since he did that anyway. Also he changed the bushing things on the altenator. And he's sure he knows what the squeal is, he says it's one of my belts. He says it's stretched out of shape and that is causing the squeal. This weekend he's going to change that for me.

9. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Good deal. Hopefully you were able to gain some of his knowledge through the whole episode, and your cousin helps tie up the loose ends on the rest.

10. LeeBurbaugh

LeeBurbaugh New Member

Nephew, not cousin. :D Anyway, yes, he's going to help me with other things on the car. The squeal might be a slanted pulley too. I had gone to Auto Zone to pick up the belt, and the employee came to look under the hood to see which belt I had said I wanted. He said he thought one of the belts looked off kilter, so I'll have nephew take a look at that too. I'll keep you posted on further developments on this car.

11. LeeBurbaugh

LeeBurbaugh New Member

Got the belt changed and no more squeal. :) Now I can concentrate on more stuff to fix. Heater is next. I sitll don't know exactly what is wrong with it. My brother changed a fitting but said he didn't know if he put the new one on right. I am not sure what the fitting was for either. An we're not sure the heater core isn't blocked. My nephew said it would be too hard to check it. Something about having to take the dash apart. I don't know. I am just guessing.

12. chilibowl

chilibowl Active Member

Sorry to Interrupt ,REFUSING to le you install(update) WIN XP ????? -what are your specs on your PC??? ,may I ask???

If you don,t have any valuable data to lose , I would suggest going with a OS called PUPPY LINUX ( 5.28 ver.) it is the oNLY LinuX oS ,I have used that actually lets you use DVDS ( watch, Rip). And has Readable Documentation to use. Just google up Puppy LinUX / Barry Kauler , or go to PC Utilities UK .com .

Getting Back to your Car , This makes ME want to get a Radiator cap for my Mom,s 1996 Toyota Camry -I have the SAME Symptoms!!!!

I had a 86 Lebaron with a Bad headgasket ,and it Was not the same situation as yours , Graduall degradation of power , Foggy output in Tailpipe ,and rough idle were the syptoms .

Regards , STU