AF: New Next-Gen Grand Cherokee Shots... | Page 10 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Next-Gen Grand Cherokee Shots...

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by redriderbob, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Ok, I’m hoping for it to come soon but we’ll see. Thanks!

2. HEMI345

HEMI345 Active Member

Seeing the markets these days, make me thought that the 3-row should come first.

3. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

Current Durango will still be available.

Mike

4. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Considering Jeep doesn’t currently have a 3-row vehicle available in the US, I agree. But as MV said above, Durango is available and it’s basically a Jeep in Dodge clothing. I’m looking forward to the 3-row GC, but if it doesn’t come soon I’d be perfectly comfortable buying a Durango...especially with the unexpected (to me) refresh coming up.

HEMI345 likes this.
  5. gminnebo

gminnebo Well-Known Member

This attitude works fine for us "Car People" but it doesn't translate to the typical consumer, My wife absolutely hates (yes, hates, it's a big word) the Durango (how it looks, I assume) but her dream car is a Grand Cherokee (Overland, Panoramic Roof, pearl white blah blah blah). I occasionally try to point out that they are basically the same under the skin.. but she will have none of it... I don't think she is the minority on this topic, people associate the looks of the cars with what they want, far more than what is under the skin, this is why badging and slight design changes on sister vehicles is so effective...

I get it, FCA has something for everyone if you can look at their portfolio as a whole, but try telling someone who is not a car person that the 500 and the Demon are made by the same company... they don't get it, hell even on another reputable car forum just the other day people were adamant that Daimler owned both Fiat and Chrysler, you need a score board to keep up with the rotating car company shuffle board game...

Opel is gonna be a part of Chrysler... in what crazy world do we live in?

page2171 and HotCarNut like this.
  6. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

I think what some fail to understand, is while the Durango is built in the same plant, has many of the same underpinnings, it's not a Jeep. Some will only buy a three row if it is. I don't care either way, they're both Mopars to me. I tend to look for vehicles that nobody else wants at the time. One can save money that way. So, if the future three row Jeep overshadows Durango at the time, then I'll have no problem buying it. We get people all the time thinking our Commander is new and want to buy one. They like it because it looks like a Jeep. I just grin and go on.

Mr. Fusion and page2171 like this.
  7. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Quite frankly, I suspect a lot of potential buyers that would want a 3 row Grand Cherokee are somewhat turned off by the "image" (I struggle with exactly what additional description to put there: boy racer, risky, performance oriented, immature, etc.) Dodge portrays in its commercials.

8. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

I get it, my wife and I would much prefer a Jeep over a Dodge if a Jeep were available. Currently, it’s not. And I think that was the point MV was making above, that if one wants a 3-row SUV from FCA (or whatever the merger giant will be called), then Durango is still available. If one hates the styling so much that they can’t accept it, then there are other manufacturers that build 3-row SUV/CUV’s or one can choose to wait until either the 3-row GC or Wagoneer arrive.

Yep, I doubt too many people are going to realize that Durango is built on the same platform as the current GC and they do share some parts....but I do realize that, and for my own part, I would definitely accept a Durango if the GC doesn’t come in time. I understand not everyone feels that way, and that’s ok. To each their own.

I’m tired of shoe-horning my family into our little Encore and the A3. With my Liberty bring gone (probably razor blades by now) and my Mustang being a large paperweight...those are our only two options right now. I WANT a BIGGER VEHICLE. I’m tired of waiting, and whatever is available when we’re ready to buy...once the Audi is paid off...then that’s what we’re getting. And I’ll be happy. And there will be much rejoicing. Yay.

9. jclick

jclick Well-Known Member

I hate Dodge commercials. Lets blast 80's rock and do burnouts. There has to be a better more sophisticated way to advertise.

10. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

When this whole plant thing is done, Jeep will have virtually every market covered. Except arguably the largest and most competitive one. Oh, they have a product there, my bad, just not a very competitive one. Moving forward, will they do what they've done in the past? Leave, let it die on the vine until sales run out? Or will they decide to compete? Tune in next year when this soap opera brings aboard a brand new show runner to hopefully straighten it all out.

11. Bajanbuoy

Bajanbuoy Durango Dave!
    Level 2 Supporter

This is the EXACT sentiment I attempted to explain in the Hellcat Charger Thread... Brands, identity, and preferences matter... And to DRIVE your point home (pun intended).... this was the BIGGEST reason, I opted for 17' versus and 18' when I brought my Durango... I prefer the more understated look of the 17' RT over the hood scoops, slots, nooks and crannies of the 18'.... Additionally, I didn't want to pay an extra 3-4 grand for Android Auto as the interior is IDENTICAL save for the shifter.

I cringe every time I see someone pointing someone to a Durango who is waiting for the 3-row GC/Wagoneer, or into a GC because they want an updated/upscale interior or Panoramic sunroof option on the Durango.

page2171 likes this.
  12. Chase300

Chase300 Well-Known Member

Well you could get the same Hemi in a Citadel if you were wanting a more understated look.
    I think it was a good move to give the R/T some more sport looks over the rest of the lineup.
    I also think the Citadel trim with the stitched dash still holds up to the competition in the upscale interior looks dept.....especially when you consider its price.

13. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

And...It's entirely possible that Chrysler brand could end up with modified / badge-engineered Opel vehicles.o_O

superduckie5000 likes this.
  14. Bajanbuoy

Bajanbuoy Durango Dave!
    Level 2 Supporter

Citadel and RT Durango's do not drive/perform the same.... I do agree that the Citadel is a looker... Just not a fan of the Chrome.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  15. serpens

serpens Well-Known Member

I feel that. I don't love the Durango interior. The center console to dash transition and the red gauges are enough that I wouldn't buy the car. The Jeep is perfectly fine to me and looks appropriately upscale.

16. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

Geez... Text book example of shooting the messenger and piling on for good measure.

BTW @Zagnut27 looks like I mixed up my numbers and told you incorrectly. ;) I apologize for the mistake.

Oh well,

Mike

#196 Mike V., Mar 11, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
    Zagnut27 likes this.
  17. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

No worries, I know nothing is official till it’s official...at least I think I’ve heard that said here before. ;)

These are private woods here, no shooting of messengers allowed. :)

Bajanbuoy likes this.
  18. Chase300

Red gauges?
    The center console and gauge cluster is exactly the same as the Jeep.
    Only the newest JGC has a different trim around the radio...which is the same 8.4 unit.
    Same steering wheel too....and dash.

19. serpens

serpens Well-Known Member

No, the gauges have red trim in them.

upload_2020-3-11_17-51-57.jpeg

And I was talking about the way the console/gear shift area flows into the dash. explained differently, there is no “chin” under the HVAC controls in the grand Cherokee. It just flows right into the middle console.

HotCarNut and Ryan like this.
  20. Chase300

Hmmm, never noticed the red gauge outline...point taken. The console in the Jeep just has a door...function wise the Durango layout is better IMO...and was even better with the rotary shifter.
    That saying the Jeep interior is more upscale with the open pore wood vs plastic trim in the Durango...but the basic interior is the same...just some details are different and more upscale trim bits in the Jeep.
    The Citadel trim is very close to the Limited Jeep trim..in looks and materials.

Geronimojmg and HotCarNut like this.