AF: New Next-Gen Grand Cherokee Shots... | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Next-Gen Grand Cherokee Shots...

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by redriderbob, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Ryan

Staff Member Level III Supporter

I like the clarity of the gloss screen but the fingerprint resistance of the matte screens. Is that too much to ask for? :D

tlc and Tony K like this.
  2. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

Mazda (and others) have non-touch screens, controlled from a knob.

3. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

I've noted that even with a glossy OLED screen, my Google Pixel 3 phone does really well for reading with the Amazon Kindle app as long as you're looking at it dead-on and don't have a light source directly behind you, and I've never noticed fingerprints while reading. These new screens render serif fonts tremendously well so that the Kindle reader font rendering is totally natural like you had your nose in a hardback and not a smartphone or in the case of my SurfacePro, a tablet/small form notebook. Given time, our screens will further transform and those issues like fingerprints and glare will be remedied.

4. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

Which is not what people want when they're sitting in the car at startup and want to quickly make stuff happen. Rotary knobs are great for when you're enroute and can't take your eyes off the road. They're painfully slow when you're trying to enter navigation, etc. and you are not encumbered by driving. Give me touchscreens with rotary knob backup and Android Auto. I'll have the nav ready before I get in the car, and just go. It's almost a requirement when I rent a car.

5. Ryan

Touch screen interactions feel more natural to me, but I'm fine with having a knob as a secondary input method.

UN4GTBL, link3721 and Tony K like this.
  6. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

Some even have touch screen with the knob to be used when wanted/needed

Tony K likes this.
  7. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

Yup, I'm not sure but I think Hyundai does that. Or was it Mitsubishi? The knob works pretty well after you use it for a few days.

Tony K likes this.
  8. valiant67

valiant67 ...

You can avoid a lot of fingerprints on the screen if you take full advantage of all the built in voice commands.

Mastertech63 and Tony K like this.
  9. stratoblaster

stratoblaster Active Member

Totally agree on the sunroof. It's been a nightmare in my '08 WK, in winter anyway. Since Ram 1500 can be had without sunroof in higher trims/option packages then hopefully WL can be as well.

10. Bajanbuoy

Bajanbuoy Durango Dave!
    Level 2 Supporter

"Get off my lawn, with all that Techno-mumbo-jumbo"....

Haha... Yep, that and the Uconnect App starts my Rango from anywhere, the Send n' Go already has the Nav input and ready to go... Aaaand it even tells me how much Gas I have, and tire pressure.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  11. Chase300

Chase300 Well-Known Member

..or with "gesture controls" like BMW.
    A simple swipe of your finger and you change radio station..up and down volume, make a quick circle...ect.

Ryan likes this.
  12. marlon_jbt

marlon_jbt Well-Known Member

In addition to that, I just wanted to say, believe me, we build and sell *entirely too many* Laredos to kill the trim. Dang plant wouldn't run...

HotCarNut likes this.
  13. Ryan

I have a hard time believing the Grand Cherokee will come standard with halogen headlights when the cheaper Cherokee comes with LEDs.

Tony K and UN4GTBL like this.
  14. tomaz

tomaz Well-Known Member

Louie Vuitton shoes might look good, but Nike’s can be more comfortable.

15. Chase300

Chase300 Well-Known Member

For fleet sales???

16. Ryan

Even the base Cherokee comes with full-LED headlights.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  17. wilbur

wilbur Well-Known Member

My wife has a '19 Cherokee Upland, the LED headlights are extremely impressive, to the point she call my RAM headlights candle sticks.... :(

UN4GTBL likes this.
  18. WXman

WXman Active Member

Of course it is, which is why I used the word "ugliest". Yuck. They should bury every single photo and sketch of the DCX designs they can find.

19. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

Yes, but if they're buried someone could find them. :eek:

20. srtdrew

srtdrew Active Member

I can confirm that at least on the newer UAS/UAQ 8.4 units that the matte is just an added coating and not the finish of the actual panel itself. It seems as if it's something that's added depending on which model the unit is meant for.

Here's a post where you can see someone removed the coating because they were having some issues with touch response. How To: Install a 2018 4C (UAQ/UAS) Radio in 2013 - 2017 RAM (at https://www.ramforum.com/threads/how-to-install-a-2018-4c-uaq-uas-radio-in-2013-2017-ram.116140/page-173#post-2185094 )
    You'll notice that underneath is a glossy panel. Might be something to look into for those that don't care for the gloss or vice versa.

Lots of great info in that thread on how you can actually update the 8.4 unit in pre-Ram Classic DS models to gain Android Auto/Apple CarPlay. I did it in my 2015 DS and couldn't be happier with the result.

UN4GTBL and cygnus like this.