AF: New Next-Gen Grand Cherokee Shots... | Page 22 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Next-Gen Grand Cherokee Shots...

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by redriderbob, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Ryan

Staff Member Level III Supporter

Pretty accurate. Outside grille "slots" are angled inward on the outside lower half. Last I saw, headlights were also straight across and didn't have an upward kink on the bottom.

Also, rear 3/4 window doesn't have the mini hofmeister kink and is very sharp like the current JGC.

pumadog, savio.79 and Scottina06 like this.
  2. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

Probably worth a recap, for people who don't fancy reading through 400 posts...

WL comes in two flavors: WL74 is the direct replacement for WK2, and is a two-row vehicle; as well as that there's WL75, which will have three rows of seats.

Both versions are unibody construction using a new generation of the “Giorgio” vehicle design that debuted in the Alfa Romeo Giulia and Stelvio. This second-generation, known as “Giorgio Global” is capable of larger vehicle sizes, and can accommodate a hybrid electric drive-train for PHEV models.

WL is not Wagoneer. Wagoneer will be bigger, will use body-on-frame construction, and will also come in "regular" and "super-size" versions. Wagoneer is coming in the same timeframe as WL: both were expected to be 2021 models before Covid-19 put a spanner in the works.

WL will be built at the new Mack Avenue assembly plant in the City of Detroit (and Wagoneer will be built eight miles away at Warren Truck).

3. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

... and just to head off some comments: the existing WK/WK2 and the original ZJ Grand Cherokees were unibody designs. The WK was engineered in cooperation with Mercedes, which didn't do it any favors. All are “rear drive based.” WL engines 2.0 turbo, 3.6, 5.7 AFAIK (all eTorque) with, likely, more to come.

HotCarNut, XRT2SRT, HEMI345 and 4 others like this.
  4. Scottina06

Scottina06 Active Member

Pretty darn.close minus the headlights. They are shaped like the charger headlights.

savio.79 likes this.
  5. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

This has many of the design elements that I hoped would show up on the Wagoneer.

itsjust too bad that they squandered the Cherokee name on the FWD cosplay thing. The 3 row Cherokee would make for a perfect Grand.

would it be too much to ask for a “grand” realignment of Jeep model names?

turbonetic and savio.79 like this.
  6. Ryan

I drive a WK2 and would not want to "upgrade" to a Cherokee from a Grand Cherokee. I don't need a three-row vehicle.

Edit: Here's Manley's quote on it from last year.

#426 Ryan, Aug 11, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  7. savio.79

savio.79 Active Member

Can I try again?
    BED89210-769C-475B-8417-F8B486E94B10.jpeg

HotCarNut, Zagnut27 and UN4GTBL like this.
  8. Ryan

Fenders are not that pronounced. Good job on the greenhouse shape. Rear end might be slightly boxier than that. Obviously the grille doesn't slope inward like that, but there wasn't much you could do about the coverings.

More like this on the rear:
    gcrear.jpg

UN4GTBL and savio.79 like this.
  9. JKU12

JKU12 Well-Known Member

Every time they make Wrangler bigger, it sells more!!!!

Zagnut27 likes this.
  10. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

Until it doesn’t.

11. Ryan

I'm going to work on another rendering.

12. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Awwww, come on! A 3-row Wrangler would sell like hot cakes! (Translation: I would buy one, so EVERYONE would like it too. :D)

UN4GTBL and Lone Bone like this.
  13. Ryan

I actually think it wouldn't be a horrible idea. The wheelbase could be used for a regular cab Gladiator as a 3-row Wrangler would be a bit shorter overall than the standard Gladiator.

jclick and Zagnut27 like this.
  14. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

When I had first seen the Africa concept, I thought they had made a 3-row Wrangler. I would definitely be interested if they did...cargo room for days plus room for a couple of additional (short) passengers in a pinch. I’m not going to hold my breath on it...cause I’ll just pass out and probably hit my head. Don’t want to do that again! Wait...did I just type that out loud?? :p

15. Ryan

16. unverferth

unverferth Well-Known Member

Thank you, Kris.

17. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

I don’t recall if this has been said before, but is the styling for the 3-row going to be the same as the GC? As in, the 3-row looks just like the GC, but longer? Or are they going to be differentiated by styling as well?

UN4GTBL likes this.
  18. Ryan

I'm guessing just longer. They can cut cost by sharing the interior and most sheetmetal while still charging a premium for the size. I actually made a stretched version of that rendering as well.
    WL75.jpg

HotCarNut, page2171, Zagnut27 and 2 others like this.
  19. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

To my mind, the existence of Wagoneer makes it more likely that WL75 will simply be a body stretch of WL74, with no "different model" styling.

Zagnut27 and Ryan like this.