AF: New Next-Gen Grand Cherokee Shots... | Page 25 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Next-Gen Grand Cherokee Shots...

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by redriderbob, Jan 19, 2020.

1. serpens

serpens Well-Known Member

Right, aware of all that. The person you responded to cited a “love affair” for BOF frame SUVs, and the fact that both GX and 4Runner sales increased despite being so horribly out of date shows that this a great profit center for Toyota. There’s clearly an addressable market there for them that requires minimal investment, which is great for them. The difference between them and Jeep is that they have the crossover lineup that depends on huge volume running alongside their profit reach BOF products.

The fact that the next generation 4Runner and GX460 won’t be here until 2022 is even more shocking. This is just table steaks for them.

2. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

It does look long enough to be a FWD vehicle...but it’s hard to gauge scale because this rendering is based upon a mule with camo/cladding on it IIRC which adds/skews size. I don’t think the real nose is that long, and it’s definitely RWD (not to give anyone the impression that I’m suggesting it could be FWD).

stratoblaster likes this.
  3. HEMI345

HEMI345 Active Member

CAUGHT: The New Jeep® Grand Cherokee Three-Row In Final Form: - Mopar Insiders
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

thebluegoat likes this.
  4. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

I've been looking forward to the 3-row coming for quite some time now...but I don't know if I can wait for it much longer. Gonna have to replace the A3 with something sooner rather than later, as new issues pop up almost monthly.

5. turbonetic

turbonetic Active Member

I worked for Toyota last year, and I've never cared for any Toyota, ever. Drove all their cars, blah, blah, BLAH! Then I drove a brand new 4runner limited. Oh I like this! But its the same truck they been building since 2010, not worth $50,000. Lets check used, ouch, 35K with 75,000km on it (2015). Lets check real used, OUCH! $20,000 for 2012 with 225km! I settled on a 2006 limited, 4.7 V8 and absolutely love it and look ma, no car payments!

6. turbonetic

turbonetic Active Member

Those are jacked up AWD cars that replaced cars, I am talking about REAL BOF SUV's. People like them, like people like muscle cars. They made the wagoneer BOF to capitalize like the wrangler, 4runner, tahoe, denali etc. And I'll say again, the pathfinder needs to go back to BOF.
    Before
    [​IMG]
    jacked up AWD car, neutered
    [​IMG]

#486 turbonetic, Sep 29, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
  7. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Don't worry, the new Grand Cherokee will be here in 2̶0̶1̶8̶, 2̶0̶1̶9, 2̶0̶2̶0̶, 2021, 2022?

8. savio.79

savio.79 Active Member

Someone said "next November"

9. Chase300

Chase300 Well-Known Member

Its available now...Durango...a 3 row JGC...minus the wood trim.

10. LouJC

LouJC Well-Known Member

Toyota is different than many other manufacturers because they can sell things that are not up to date or current due to the built up level of trust people have in their products. They do make many improvements over time and know what their customers want. FCA builds more exciting products but could learn a lot from Toyota. I would not buy a 4Runner despite how good they are due to a boring and underpowered drivetrain, having a Hemi powered Grand Cherokee for over 10 years has me spoiled in that regard. But I sure would like to see FCA and their successors conduct themselves more like Toyota.

page2171, Adventurer55 and tlc like this.
  11. LouJC

LouJC Well-Known Member

Agreed the current Pathfinder is totally forgettable. I do think that the Pathfinder in the top photo was a unibody, but still front engine/rear drive based. In fact they had issues with the upper spring mounts in the front unibody sub frame rotting out (recall?)....All the Pathfinder is now, is a slightly more attractive mini van without the convenience of the sliding doors!

dmcdonald likes this.
  12. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Real BOF SUVs do not sell nearly as well as crossovers. The only company to really get mass numbers with them is GM, whose full size SUVs are known as the best with good justification, and FCA with the Wrangler. Otherwise, as I pointed out with specific examples, BOF SUVs don't sell as well as same-size crossovers. Take Sequoia vs Highlander as an example.

For that matter, real off-road capability is usually not a major factor in popularity. If it was, Cherokee sales would clobber RAV4 and CRV, and Trailhawk would be the most popular Cherokee. (As it is, I suspect Cherokee Trailhawk sales are quite small.)

page2171 likes this.
  13. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Yeah, but I can’t trust the workmanship of a vehicle that can’t spell Jeep correctly...it ends up looking like “Durango”. That must be the “new” cursive they’re teaching in school these days. :p

Kidding aside, Durango may just be what we end up buying instead. Either that or an Aviator.

14. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

:D:D

C8020E61-D449-489D-A75C-F99725723561.png

15. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

Most people don't care if it's bof or unibody. When the average buyer is looking for something that bog they want it to be able to fit a ton of stuff

16. hmk123

Level III Supporter

I think I am probably in the minority that I prefer many of the current gen vehicles. I am just always a bit "afraid" that new technology has started being added that goes beyond what I really need. Sorry, I know I am a broken record. :)

17. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

When was LA Auto Show supposed to have been? That’s the official launch of WL75.

18. hmk123

Level III Supporter

Last year it was at 11/22. Cancelled for this year...

19. dmcdonald

dmcdonald Well-Known Member

It would be nice to know the breakdown by model. While I know it is highly regional and anecdotal, the Trailhawks are by far the most popular model in my neck of the woods. That is also true for the Compass; however, Trailhawk Grand Cherokees are a rare sight.

20. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

Considering all of the advantages the XJ Cherokee had over its BOF competition I have no issue with unibody. What Jeep is lacking is a rear wheel drive based unibody model priced below the Grand Cherokee.