Allpar Forums banner

New Ram 2500 4x4 Offroad Package

12K views 46 replies 25 participants last post by  suzq044 
#1 ·
The Ram 2500 4×4 Off-Road Package, to be shown today in Chicago, takes the Ram 2500, which the Power Wagon is based on, and adds some gear (Bilstein shocks, special tires and suspension tuning, a transfer case skid plate), but without some of the Power Wagon’s unique features and capabilities. Full story / more photos

Read the whole post here.

See less See more
#18 ·
Yes, i do belive that an offroad optimised truck isnt as good as hauler as the purpous built one.
Mostly i think that stability is the greatest problem. The soft long reach offroad suspension seem to me to be the opposite of
a suspension designed for on road hauling. For offroad hauling at low speeds i dont think it matters.
- Mayber Bob will come in and spank me for this:confused:

Reactions: Shane Estabrooks
#4 ·
I like the fact that you can get the diesel and avoid the "graphics" that make the Power Wagon look like a kids' toy.

#8 ·
Because the Power Wagon is a toy.

But yes, this is the truck for all the people that don't want the Hemi and find the Power Wagon to be a bit too flashy for them... And you don't get a winch on this animal

Different strokes for different folks.

Mike

#20 · (Edited)
I didnt get spanked..oro_O
If i understand correctly a tow vehicle would need higher roll stiffness. ie it wouldnt lean as much in the corners in laymans wording.
Wouldnt´a stiffer rear also be in order?, more damping and higher springrates to avoid large up/down movement in the rear.

#21 ·
I'm not an engineer, so I'm going to caveat this next statement as I THINK this is what I understand from some of Bob's past postings: Progressive suspension components can limit some of that, where it is more "lightly sprung" unloaded, but when compressed under load the suspension stiffens as it moves into different phases. There are a LOT of off-road setups that use variable rate springs, shock absorbers, etc. Not sure how it would be set up for towing, but suspension engineers are doing amazing things these days....

#26 ·
I won't be able to explain in proper engineering/physics terms.

For off roading you want a suspension that allows a lot of movement in order to conform to the uneven surfaces and keep the tires in contact with the ground.
To permit that movement spring rates are lower and shocks are valved differently which reduces the weight the vehicle can carry and tow.

For towing you want a suspension that has less movement in order to control the movements being transferred to the tow vehicle from the trailer.
The weight of the trailer and its cargo, as it moves up and down and side to side while being towed, during acceleration and braking wants to transfer all those motions to the tow vehicle.
A nice soft compliant suspension would result in the tow vehicle being manhandled by what is being towed.

#28 ·
Yes.. agree the question is answered ... but like CherokeeVision said "proper engineering/physics terms" The suspension on these Rams is progressive if that is the right term to use. So to compare a Power Wagon to a Regular truck like say mine on the same trail at the same time would at end results show that the Power Wagon went through in comfort and ease where as mine would have had some more difficulty but still managed. If we were to rate trails like Rapids (class 1 to 5) then I would not go beyond a 3 with my truck where a Power Wagon or curtain Jeeps could tackle all. So the reason I'm researching this topic is yes I want a truck that can tow/haul but also handle the hunting and fishing trips we endure. So a truck like mine with a off-road package from the factory is what fits the bill... Almost, I'm a hot-rodder so stock will not do. LOL

#30 ·
I don't think it's fair to compare this package with the Off Road package that was available on late 90s/early 00s Ram 1500s. Those older trucks got a LOT more equipment that actually separated them from the crowd, including a special tire SIZE, extra reinforcement of the front Dana axle, increased ground clearance, lower gear ratio, heavy duty version of the t-case, etc. This new package is nothing special. Shocks and stickers. I hate shock and sticker packages. GM started that crap with the Z71 trucks in the late 80s. People would hand over a kidney and leg to have those stickers on the bedsides.

In short, MEH.

On the other hand, there is the Power Wagon which is the most true "off road" truck ever sold. So there's that...

#34 ·
I don't think it's fair to compare this package with the Off Road package that was available on late 90s/early 00s Ram 1500s. Those older trucks got a LOT more equipment that actually separated them from the crowd, including a special tire SIZE, extra reinforcement of the front Dana axle, increased ground clearance, lower gear ratio, heavy duty version of the t-case, etc. This new package is nothing special. Shocks and stickers. I hate shock and sticker packages. GM started that crap with the Z71 trucks in the late 80s. People would hand over a kidney and leg to have those stickers on the bedsides.

In short, MEH.

On the other hand, there is the Power Wagon which is the most true "off road" truck ever sold. So there's that...
They may have gotten more equipment, but some of the things that are standard on Rams now we're optional back then. one example? Tow hooks. Not a biggie, but when you order a diesel most all heavy duty stuff becomes standard. These things should be included. Off road type tires, limited slip rear, and I'd like to see a locking front differential and off road shocks and skid plates. Other then a front locker, isn't the rest included? You want more? Buy a powerwagon or go aftermarket.

#36 ·
It's only a $495 option on the Tradesman

Off-Road Package
  • Black Wheel Flares
    Fender flares are designed to give your wheels extra clearance and coverage.
  • Delete Wheel Spats
  • Bilstein® Front Performance Tuned Shock Absorbers
    The front performance-tuned shock absorbers absorb the impact of traveling on rough ground, resulting in a smoother ride and improved vehicle handling.
  • Off-Road Decal
    This neutral gray decal, included in the available Off Road Package, announces the off-road capability of your vehicle.
  • Bilstein® Rear Performance Tuned Shock Absorbers
    The rear performance-tuned shock absorbers absorb the impact of traveling on rough ground, resulting in a smoother ride and improved vehicle handling.
  • Tow Hooks
  • Transfer Case Skid Plate
  • Hill Descent Control (Unavailable with some configurations)
    Hill Descent Control[2] helps you maintain a safe vehicle speed while descending hills during off-roading. Using electronic brake control and the engine braking, it can sense terrain conditions and will automatically adjust to a slightly slower set speed than normal when the terrain is rough.

2 Hill Descent Control is only active when a vehicle is descending a hill and can sense condition of terrain. It will:

Adjust to slightly slower set speed than normal when terrain is rough

Override operations by applying brakes to slow the vehicle down below control speed

Override operations by pressing the accelerator to increase speed

Return the vehicle back to its original set speed when either the brake or accelerator is released

Hill Descent Control is only intended for low-speed off-road driving:

Above 30 mph, the system no longer functions

Flashing "Hill Descent Control" indicator identifies that the brakes are getting too hot and vehicle should be stopped to allow brakes to cool

#37 ·
For those not enamored of the decals on the Power Wagon: I thought I read here on Allpar that a decal delete is available as a no-cost option on the Power Wagon. I mean if I had the money and the desire for a PW, I don't think I'd let the decals stand in my way anyway...

Otherwise, I love that you can get the off-road package on the Tradesman as noted by @redriderbob -- and what a bargain it is. Perfect for those who want performance without the luxe or bling (or who want to save their money for the aftermarket).

#38 ·
All of our Power Swaggins' we order with decals deleted. They look *word to describe someone who wears an upside-down visor, multiple polo shirts, and sunglasses indoors*.

#43 ·
After all the research.. I'd have to say the only way to upgrade our Ram HD is with AEV... period
We have sold a few, The kit is very well thought out and built by guys that know what there doing.
you would be very happy with that set up. The bumpers are awesome as well.
We put the AEV kit on a 2016 Powerwagon SLT, minus the bumpers. Wheels, snorkel, lift, etc all AEV. Check it out: 20170211_090333_HDR.jpg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.