Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to Allpar and to Mopar

Discussion in 'Welcome to Allpar!' started by LarryK, Aug 21, 2017.

1. LarryK

LarryK New Member

Bought a 64 Valiant V200 for wife to drive in cruises. My expertise is Vintage Jaguars and British things. Been getting it safe for 7 months now, and almost ready to do front floorboards. Found trim and some parts more difficult to find than my old Jag parts. Pictures on barnfind.com under Valiant. Total brake rebuild, engine gaskets, front and rear main seals, rods and mains. Lights and electrical working. Putting engine back together. Rebooted the ball and trunnion, u- joint, pinion seal and new shocks. Replacing fuel tank and sender, been sitting for 20 years. New motor mounts seem to low, making shims, don't like pan on frame and pully close to trans lines. Hope to learn something here. Retired ASE mechanic, learning a new car. So different from my Fords or British cars.

2. Scrounge

Scrounge Well-Known Member

Welcome to allpar. Is this the car?

$500 Car Hoarders Unanimous: 1964 Plymouth Valiant (at http://barnfinds.com/500-car-hoarders-unanimous-1964-plymouth-valiant/ )

It's the first one I saw with Show Me plates. If so, you might also clean out the radiator and the rest of the cooling system. Looks like the engine sits very close to the passenger quarter. I hope it has easy enough access to the distributor and oil filter. The slant 6 has mechanical lifters that occasionally need adjustment. If you have a shop manual, it should give you instructions. The body looks straight, and the dash and panels look ok, but the seats need reupholstering or replacement. You might also address the weather stripping.

The Mopar big-block motor mounts were changed for the '66 model year. The '62 to '65 mounts can be difficult to find. I don't know if the /6 mounts were similar, but make sure they're the right ones for your application. Some stores will try to sell you later ones that won't work.

When it's done, you might like driving it as much as your wife does.

3. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

Welcome. You got a Mopar, you're gonna need Allpar!

Shane Estabrooks likes this.
  4. LarryK

LarryK New Member

Radiator reworked. The service tagged shows last service at 125,000 miles and former trans service at 60,000 miles. The car was last tuned in 1999. Pushed across road to a tire and repair center. Full tune, full rebuild, new brakes, belts, fluids, and tires and battery and driven back. Brake adjusters were frozen, only thing I reused were shoes, everything else is new. In process of replacing bearings as the oil pan was smashed flat. Took 2 hrs of pounding to get it back. All engine parts are clean and ready for reassembly. A/C still hold pressure (R-12). Their are no options beside the push button trans. PO added Sears under dash A/C and a AM radio. Hopefully will be started by end of month. Have title of original owner and title of second owner (son). So far I have only looked in the Service Manual (bought thru Ebay) to get torque specs. This will be a driver only. Wife is doing seats, I am doing floor pans. Weather stripping will be later. Car will be covered and stored outside. The 50s Jags go in the garage with the Rover and MINIs.

5. LarryK

LarryK New Member

Scronge, the Valiants were made in St. Louis out of the Fenton Plant. I guess they rusted and were driven to death to for the lack of Sho Me plates.

6. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

They were inexpensive cars at the time, and you'll find precious few cars of that class from ANY automaker pretty much anywhere in the world, Larry. Don’t denigrate them; there are still a surprising number around, considering the years and lack of value and overshadowing by muscle cars.

Even today a fine example of a Valiant, Chevy II, Nova, Lark, etc, with a slant six or 273-class engine, won’t bring a whole lot of money — not enough to fix a major problem. They are still being parted out and crushed today, because of the value proposition. That’s the real issue... it has to be worth fixing for someone, versus just buying one in better condition.

They were fine cars then AND now.

7. LarryK

LarryK New Member

I am going to make it a nice driver. Lots of bondo, cheap respray, years ago, some rust issues, to fix later. Just finished rods and mains, starting to put back together. Surprised that the R-12 A/C still had pressure, bearings really weren't bad for 125K miles.