Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to this forum - '89 Chrysler Fifth Avenue

Discussion in 'F-J-M: Volare, Diplomat, etc, 1977-89' started by goair99, Nov 7, 2016.

1. goair99

goair99 Active Member

I am now the proud owner of a one owner 5th Ave that I found on Tampa, FL craigslist. She has only 40,000 miles on her and was garage kept. She was built on 11/88 and delivered to Branson Chrysler Plymouth in Tampa. From sitting so long she has a new a/c system, starter, carb, plugs, wires and alternator. However she does have a few things that need to be addressed, so I will have questions for you all! Thanks! 89fifth.jpg 89fifth1.jpg 89fifth4.jpg 89fifth3.jpg 89fifth6.jpg

2. peterjon1

peterjon1 Well-Known Member

Congratulations!

3. goair99

goair99 Active Member

Thank you so much.

4. PCRMike

PCRMike Well-Known Member

Just looking at the inside of that 5th makes me want to sink into those seats. Love those cushy interiors.

5. Glopart

Glopart Active Member

Back in 89 I bought an 83 w/ about 60,000 mi. Had the crushed velour seats. When I'd wear a nylon jacket I'd get electrocuted getting out of the car.
    Car was gutless and didn't ride well at all. Hated it. Only kept it about 6 mos.

6. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

I have owned 4 of these and they rode great and very comfortable and never had a problem with power.

7. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Nice car! The problem isn't really a lack of power but the terrible gearing in the rear axle. The 2.2 gears make fuel economy decent on the highway and a gas guzzling slug in town.

I changed my 82 New Yorker Fifth Avenue to 2.9 gears and got better overall gas mileage on a 50/50 city/highway commute.

Chances are since it's a 1989 it will have an 8.25" axle rather than the very weak 7.25" axle.

8. goair99

goair99 Active Member

Thanks for your nice replies! How can I tell if it's a 8.25"? It was on the lift yesterday and I totally checked out the underside and the rear end looked small like the 7.25"

I also noticed a special shield behind the gas tank, attached to the body, that looks like it directs the tank downward in the event of a severe rear end collision. I don't think my non airbag ones had this...

9. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

10. 2012srtchallenger

Supporter

bought an 83 to drive to work,just a beater,i ended up driving all the timegreat car,good gas mileage.never gave any problems. wife didn't like the car and hasseled me till I sold it,my friend drives it every day.

11. Lee N. Burns

Level 2 Supporter

Surprised I didn't notice this thread until now. I've had several of those cars, loved them all. I have an '89 in Twilight Blue. (Well, now it's house paint cream because the paint fell off and I wanted something to keep the rust off it until I repaint it.) However my '89 has a mint blue leather interior, which is why I keep it around. Someday I'd love to build a pro-touring car from it, keeping the looks 100% stock.

12. Chrononaut

Chrononaut Member

Saw them build one over ten years ago in one of the Mopar mags. They swapped in an awesome 360, 8.25 axle and all the other heavy duty/high performance goodies from a salvaged Dippy prowl car. Twin snorkel air cleaner from a '70's 440 squad, HUGE single exhaust, certified speedo, oil gauge, '70's electronic ignition swap, cool turbine wheels off a Mirada. Still looked stock. Your 5th. is GNARLEY! Nice purchase! I once owned an '85 Nevada highway patrol Gran Fury. Same body, just no 'Fluff'! Put an honest 500,000 miles on her. Original drivetrain. All police options, twin chrome spots, chrome push bumpers. Fast as hell once she got on the freeway. 2.94 rear gears. Slow in town, though. Kick down at 70 mph and she'd downshift, let out a horrendous four barrel belly roar from her Q-Jet and accelerate to 125mph (plus) in less than a minute! Miss my Gran! Good luck with your 5th.! Mopar to ya!