AF: new transmission solenoid causes check engine light | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new transmission solenoid causes check engine light

Discussion in '1995-2017 FWD Sedans, Coupes' started by weasels2, Jul 7, 2020.

1. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

Replenishing the transmission with fresh fluid is good and proper maintenance. It definitely will help to extend the life of the transmission.

Don't worry about the dipstick issue. Follow this link and short Y T video and see how you can make a dipstick to measure transmission fluid level.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHrOjLOvyFI

2. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Agree. There is no scheduled maintenance for 62TE service. I do it simply for peace of mind and to establish a baseline of clutch wear by seeing what is on the chip magnet and in the bottom of the pan.

3. weasels2

weasels2 New Member

thanks, I was not concerned about the dipstick. I was going to drop the pan, give it an extended period of time to drain, then measure out what was in the catch pan and replace with a like amount of new fluid. Is there anything I am missing or will that work? do I need to remove any parts, or is the refill tube readily accessable?

4. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

Measure the fluid that is drained and add equal amount of fresh fluid. That will get you close to the correct amount. But this method assumes the existing fluid drained was at the correct level. You really do not know unless you measure. After replenishing you do need to follow the procedure, measure temperature of the fluid, measure fluid level and determine if the level is correct according to the chart.

In post #21 the video shows the fluid fill tube down low and close to the engine. I am thinking you will probably need a small funnel to fill the transmission.