Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie - 1972 Valiant

Discussion in 'A Body: Duster, Valiant, Dart, etc' started by Nebraskaorville, Aug 10, 2017.

1. pt006

pt006 Active Member

I don't know where I got this from, but I wrote down between 150 and 900 ohms in an old manual. This was written decades ago.

2. Nebraskaorville

IMG_3850.JPG Thanks man- I'll check it. I have current across the ballast resistor and I cleaned the star wheel and pickup coil- still no spark. Coil wire is good. I have a weak test light at the center post of three in a row on the ECU plug- no light between any of the others.

3. Scrounge

Scrounge Well-Known Member

You might want to clean those connector prongs.

I had a similar problem on a D100, and when I started removing the tape over the wires that connect to the ignition module, one of the wires was slightly frayed. I repaired it with a good butt splice, which solved the problem. I don't know if that's a common problem on your vehicle, but it's another place to check.

4. pt006

pt006 Active Member

Cleaning those pins can be tough. I use a little screwdriver with a freshly ground end and scrape off the grunge. The pins must be shiny brass colored when you're done. With the ign. key in the 'run' position, there should be 12 V at the plug terminal of that pin you pointed to. There should also be 8V or so at the + side terminal of the ign. coil.--------- Don't forget to clean the plug terminal ends of the ECU, too.

Nebraskaorville likes this.
  5. Nebraskaorville

They're clean and shiny now. That's a "before" pic.

6. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

Have you checked your bulkhead connector for corrosion?

7. Nebraskaorville

Nope - bulkhead connector?

8. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Where the wires go through the firewall. I common electrical problem on the A body cars, the junction is often no longer sealed and the wires can corrode.

9. Nebraskaorville

Will clean and re-seat. I got my Haynes manual in so now i have test procedures for everything. Will update when i get a chance to get back under the hood.

Thanks guys!

10. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

Under ALLPAR repairs section, Vintage cars, Electric key I, you will find relevant information pertaining to your vintage car. Good read.

11. Nebraskaorville

IMG_3868.JPG Found my problem.

chuzz likes this.
  12. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Really means nothing. China produces some excellent electronic products and some not-so-good. Think how many iPhones and iPads are out there.
    And the control circuits for many US nuclear power plants have been made there for 20 years now.

13. Scrounge

I'd first have it tested, and at a parts store where you've researched their available stock online. But if that's the problem, its replacement is quicker than going through all of the wires. I'd opt for one with a lifetime warranty.

14. Nebraskaorville

IMG_3877.JPG IMG_3878.JPG IMG_3879.JPG IMG_3881.JPG IMG_3882.JPG Ok, head scratcher. Haynes seems to say I should have 12v at both cavities 1 and 2 of the ECU connector. It also seems to mix up which is cav 1 and cav 2. The picture caption says the tech is checking for voltage at cav 2 but in the pic he seems to have his lead in cav 1. See pics.

So, with the key on am I supposed to have 12v at both cavs 1&2? I don't- I only have it at the top most cav- which according to their map and not the pic is cav1.

15. Nebraskaorville

IMG_3883.JPG Even more weird- why the hell is this thing running a 6v coil!?

16. Nebraskaorville

Disregard previous questions. The car runs if I run 12v straight to the coil- so I've got an open circuit between the ignition switch and the coil.

17. Scrounge

18. Nebraskaorville

Lousiville, today.

Attached Files:

Scrounge likes this.
  19. pt006

pt006 Active Member

With the ignition key in the run position. >>>.............. As shown in post # 54, pin cavity #1 should be 12V, # 2 should be 12V, # 3 should be 12V , #4 and #5 should be zero Volts - all measured with a meter. The inset diagram is for the connector plug end, not the ECU pins. -------- Replace the coil with a 12V unit.

I converted an old 318 years ago. Swapped in the distributor, ECU, connector plug and wires, and 4 prong block resistor from a late 70's 318. I think only 2 wires had to be connected to the car. Worked great.