AF: Newby here, first Chrysler and first American car | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newby here, first Chrysler and first American car

Discussion in 'Welcome to Allpar!' started by KD2DHP, Oct 18, 2020 at 4:07 AM.

1. KD2DHP

KD2DHP New Member

Greetings!
    My name is Joe and I live in NJ. I had been looking for a while for an interesting car to restore and I found it in an 88 Plymouth Reliant wagon. I've always had an affinity for station wagons, so I've never had an American car before. My last three cars were a Volvo 850 Turbo wagon, a Subaru Impreza Outback and my current daily, a 2012 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI.

I've always liked k cars and cars from the 1980s in general. This one is in pretty good shape, with only bad rust in the passenger side rocker sill. The 2.2 has a blown head gasket and the 5 speed manual's shift cable is stretched out, but for $500, I'm happy.

I'm about an hour away from yanking the head. I ran into some trouble with a bolt for the valve cover that would not move and someone had already rounded It off. I have a load of Parts already. Parts for this thing are cheap, especially when you work at an auto parts store.. the car came with some aftermarket 15-in wheels which don't really go nicely with the car but will probably handle better than the stock 14s. I already have new tires for them. The previous owner also transplanted front bucket seats from a Dodge Daytona, which are probably more comfortable than what was there.

I also picked up at a garage sale a premium stereo that would have been in an 1986 Fifth Avenue. It'll replace the stock AM/FM it has now.

I'm sure I'll have lots of questions going forward. Thanks in advance!

06PTElectricBlue likes this.
  2. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

Well...There's no accounting for taste in this world...but you're more than welcome here!:p:D

3. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

K cars are great and the wagon is kind of rare, I am surprised it has a 5 speed most wagons were auto's.
    Does it have the 2.2 or the 2.5?

4. KD2DHP

KD2DHP New Member

It's got the 2.2. it also had (non working) AC, power steering and a rear defogger

5. chuzz

chuzz Allpar Legacy

Welcome to Allpar. I'd love to find something like that. You, Sir, are a lucky man. Please keep us posted on your progress and post some pics along the way. We LOVE pics here.

valiant67 likes this.
  6. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member

Cool sounding car!!

One of the easiest vehicles on the planet to Turbocharge using factory parts.

Thanks
    Randy

7. 06PTElectricBlue

06PTElectricBlue Active Member

Welcome to the forum :cool:

Post some pics of your new ride :)

8. Panterasr9

Panterasr9 Active Member

Welcome you will love it here. I think that 2.2 needs a turbo to keep it company!