Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Next Alfa Romeo Rumored to be a Larger SUV

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Hemidakota, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Hemidakota

Hemidakota Active Member

2018-Alfa-Romeo-Stelvio-Q4-front-in-motion.jpg

The Alfa Romeo Stelvio might not be a particularly capable off-roader, but at our SUV of the Year competition, it proved “thrillingly quick, nimble around corners,” and offered a “surprisingly supple” ride. So while enthusiasts might balk at the idea of an Alfa-badged crossover, it’s much more of a real Alfa than you might think. But could the Italian automaker successfully bake the same sportiness into something even larger?

Auto Express reports that Alfa Romeo plans to answer that question with a midsize crossover built on a stretched version of the Stelvio’s platform. To meet emissions regulations, however, Alfa may offer its upcoming flagship SUV in performance-hybrid form.

“The Stelvio for sure is an example of Alfa DNA. Why don’t we translate that in a car which is a little…bigger?” Roberto Fedeli, Alfa Romeo’s chief technical officer, recently told Auto Express. “We have to marry the new car with the right level of electrification. Plug-in hybrid could be a problem for the Alfa DNA point of view, but for instance, a 48-volt mild hybrid solution is something that we can do without losing anything.”

STORY LINK: Next Alfa Romeo Rumored to be a Larger SUV - Motor Trend (at http://www.motortrend.com/news/next-alfa-romeo-rumored-large-suv/ )

Heine Pedersen likes this.
  2. Heine Pedersen

Well.. we already know that in the Guilia Veloce for the US market, it will have 350hp. Really looking forward to see the torque figures though.

3. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

4. Heine Pedersen

The large SUV is still around two years away from hitting the market and is likely to be offered with a seven-seat layout in order to make it more competitive against models Alfa is benchmarking such as the Audi Q7 and Volvo XC90.

A replacement for the Giulietta hatchback will follow the new Audi Q7 rival, while Alfa bosses are also weighing up whether to completely reinvent the Alfa 4C for its next generation with a new chassis architecture and engine.

Alfa’s new large SUV to spearhead electrification plans (at http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/alfa-romeo/102153/alfa-s-new-large-suv-to-spearhead-electrification-plans )

5. T_690

T_690 Active Member

Once again as in the other thread.

I don't believe that big SUV and sedan will receive 350-400 HP version of GME T4. AFAIK there should be 6 cylinder with around 400 HP. Is it a GME T6 or T690 that's the question. It certainly is not a Ferrari F160.

We all know for a long time now that's coming. For Stelvio and Giulia Veloce in the USA and if there will ever be next gen Giulietta Quadrifoglio.

My question would be. Is there 690T with that technology under development and could it reach or pass 600 HP mark? Just imagine it in E segment SUV and sedan Alfa's Quadrifoglio badge cars.
    LOL. These are not the main or direct competitors. X5/X6, upcoming Audi Q8, and Porsche Cayenne are.

Nothing new and many forum members know about that plan for a long time. Forum members from both sides of Atlantic.

6. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Quick photoshop.
    AlfaSUV.jpg

Kind of makes the Stelvio look insubstantial. lol
    [​IMG]

somber, bluskye, gary longo and 2 others like this.
  7. cygnus

Ad-Free Member

The 4C isn't worth the investment. Let the Giulia own that spot.

8. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

They're two completely different cars. I do however think it should not be the face of alfa like i've read before. When the 8c or whatever they call it comes around that should be the face of alfa

suzq044 and TripleT like this.
  9. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

I am still ignmorant about what a modern day "platform" is.
    In the late 60's we had the Plymouth Fury compared to the Imperial or the 300. Totally dofferant cars and price ranges but both were C bodys.
    Could this new stretrched Alfa be a Dodge Journy?

10. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

I thought the new Journey...which will end up being a Chrysler version of the K8 (stretched version of Cherokee)? And the actual replacement for the Journey in the Dodge lineup will be a RWD midsize (Stelvio??).

11. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

My concern about the Cherokee, is it wide enough. I consider it a small CUV. The Journy needs to be a mid-size. It needs to have a large back seat and a large cargo area and big doors for ease for entry/exit.

srtdrew likes this.
  12. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

Admittedly, I've gotten a bit confused with the rumored upcoming product for Chrysler. I believe the Chrysler Journey replacement will be the stretched Cherokee, with a larger CUV slotted above it to take on the likes of Enclave, Traverse, etc. And then perhaps a BOF version of the Wagoneer for Chrysler as well....

Deckard_Cain likes this.
  13. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

These ones are based on Small + add new Compass, 500X, 500L, ....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But also these ones are on Small (an LCV variant), Ram Promaster City and Fiat Qubo in photos.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So a vehicle based on "Giorgio" can have different shape, internal volume, ...
    What will have in common with other vehicles it depends on how much is the budget available for a specific model and the design targets.

#13 MJAB, Dec 30, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  14. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

The Dodge CUV is rumored to have two rows of seats so it shouldn’t be much larger than the Stelvio.

The Durango will likely be the one based on the stretched Giorgio platform.

UN4GTBL and TripleT like this.
  15. TripleT

Level III Supporter

free yourself from the idea of platforms how does a CUSW make a Dart, Cherokee, and Minivan on the same "platform" because the term in obsolete. They are all just beginning point to a purpose built vehicle.

DAGAR likes this.
  16. Ernesto

Ernesto Active Member

Just returned from Fort Collins to Central Texas. I searched the highways for a Stelvio and Giulia. Never saw either. A week ago my Alfa dealer had 29 Stelvios and 18 Giulias in inventory. Today I find the weeks old number of 29 Stelvios and the new number 34 Giulias in inventory. Out of production 200s abound on the streets. It seems to me FCA is doing something all wrong.

17. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

Like not giving away the Alfas like they did the 200s? Like trying to make a profit? The sales numbers are available to see every month, no need to watch the one off of your local dealer.

Believe me I wish they were selling more Alfas and had been making a killing on the 200, but that didn't happen for the 200 - Alfa we'll see. For once FCA seems to be giving it time.

18. Lampredi

Lampredi Active Member

Marchionne is on record as saying he will “pull the plug” on his plan for Alfa or revisit targets if the first model does not take off. So I guess nothing can be taken for granted as far as Alfa Romeo is concerned. (Indeed, sometimes I wonder if the F in FCA stands for "fickle" ;))

19. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

Marchione strikes me as impatient with the US market. Otherwise I think he's doing ok.

20. cygnus

Ad-Free Member

where are we at in determining whether Giulia has been a success or failure? What was the target number of units they gave? How long has it been in production?

WAG based on the data I've seen thus far - he lied. The vehicle isn't doing all that well and they continue to pour money into Alfa by rationalizing it's the fact that it's not an SUV that prevents it from succeeding in the market.

Meanwhile - Maserati production stoppage extended until mid January; new models may not come (at https://www.allpar.com/forums/threads/maserati-production-stoppage-extended-until-mid-january-new-models-may-not-come.169837/#post-1084910572 )

Face it, the Agnellis run the company. As much crap as we give SM, he's just the messenger/finance guy. The people making the billion dollar decisions on whether Chrysler gets a FWD car or they build more Alfas with Jeep/Ram profits rest with the Agnellis. And this won't change as long as as Auburn Hills is under their control.

I can hear it now - "But but but 200/Dark/Cherokee/Wrangler investments in the biiiiiilllllllionnnnnssss"

Hell - you had to invest billions in all of those vehicles to fund your Alfa/Maesarati good time. The US vehicles pay the bills and keep the spigot going.

"But but but - Maserati and Alfa are profitable on their own and develop their own platform from their profits!" BS. The reason why Ferrari has a high share value is that the profits are returned to shareholders instead of being reinvested Ferrari profit in Maserati/Alfa platforms. Maserati might be able to develop a platform on its own, Alfa certainly could not.

Isn't it funny that Ferrari profits are fire-walled off and the supposedly thoroughbred brands of Alfa/Maserati will eventually share parts with lowly Dodge/Chrysler?

That really summarizes it there. Ferrari should be funding Alfa/Maserati, not Jeep/Ram.

#20 cygnus, Dec 30, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2017