AF: Next Generation Charger News: | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Next Generation Charger News:

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by redriderbob, Jul 8, 2016.

1. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

As I have been saying, the next generation of Dodge Charger (2021) platform will be based on the new Alfa Romeo Giulia's Giorgio platform. The car will retain it's E-segment classification while the car will be lighter overall. What I have been hearing, is the modified Giorgio platform will yes, be heavily modified and stretched. The new platform will under the upcoming Challenger replacement as well. But the big news is the Dodge boys won't be the only one using that platform. Alfa will be using that platform as well (don't know if it will be for a sedan or SUV) as well as Maserati for the Ghibli and possibly a SUV.

[​IMG]

It also looks like the 2021 Charger will be a lot lighter. Some sources have said about about 400-500lbs lighter. The car will use more aluminum in certain body panels (the whole car will not be aluminum). But, the Charger will also get a lot of its suspension formed from aluminum as well. Remember, when the LX platform debuted it was a modified E-Class platform sans the aluminum suspension parts for cost savings. However, aluminum has come a long way and FCA is willing to invest.

[​IMG]

As a refresher, the 2021 is scheduled to debut the next generation Pentastar V6 motors which includes twin turbo version which will replace the 5.7L HEMI. HEMI power will remain, but only in top SRT models. Turbo four power will also more than likely make its debut as well. Many of our reliable sources on here have also mentioned it.

[​IMG]

The car will remain similar to the size it currently is, however the front and rear overhangs will be a lot shorter. Styling will yes, be taken a huge cue from the 1999 Dodge Charger R/T Concept (especially the C-pillar backwards).

The car will be available with RWD/AWD options. I haven't been able to find out from my sources yet, if a manual will be offered. But it is more than likely, since thats probably the biggest complaint from people about the car (that and weight). ZF and FCA are already at work with the next generation of 8-speed automatics especially for the FCA brands. However, I am don't expect anything higher than 8 gears in any of the Charger's lineup.

[​IMG]

So, what really was the biggest information about this update. Well FCA will invest in a bigger platform for the Charger and are committed to building several vehicles for at least three brands on this bigger platform. Target for weight savings is between 400-500lbs thanks to extensive uses of aluminum. Can't wait to see this car... even if we have to wait till 2020 to see it.

2. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels The "Front-Line" Perspective

2021 - I'll be 1.5 years away from paying off my 15' R/T Charger, shouldn't have any negative equity by that time!!!! *fingers crossed*

3. oh2o

Level III Supporter

Target for base models:
    < 3500 Lbs Charger
    < 3400 Lbs Challenger

4. redhed

Level III Supporter

I'm sure Sheaves is gritting his teeth over the use of "platform" in that post! interesting news nonetheless!

guyverfanatic and PCRMike like this.
  5. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

Base weight for the current Charger SE is 3,934lbs so -500lbs is 3434lbs... sounds right.

guyverfanatic likes this.
  6. aspenandenclave12

aspenandenclave12 Active Member

And the 300? Will it be changed to the minivan platform or will it also use the modified Giorgio platform like the Charger?

7. dakrt99

dakrt99 Well-Known Member

Edit: Nevermind, I read it more carefully.

8. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

Ugh, please don't perpetuate the "modified E-class" narrative.

Everything is a big thumbs up!

Mike

Max Wedge and ptschett like this.
  9. CivoLee

CivoLee Well-Known Member

This is all very exciting to read, but the Charger is a little too big for my tastes...when will we get some info about the new mid size? Or will the Dart replacement be big enough to cover that area?

10. james.mooney.

james.mooney. The Poster Formerly Known As "Bethlumboy"

Great info! Thanks!

It sounds like they are consolidating all of their unit-body RWD vehicles onto one platform, the "G+" (to coin a term). That makes sense.

Giorgio:"G+"::CUSW:RU?

The Alfa E-sedan and E-CUV were always intended to be derived from Giorgio, which you've confirmed.

You've also confirmed that this platform will be modified to support a V8, and that the Challenger will be on this platform. There was a rumor for a while that Charger would go to "GUS" and Challenger would stay on L.

News to me is Maserati's use of this platform for the Ghibli and possibly an SUV --perhaps the next-gen Levante, or something else? Levante is the right size.

Speaking of SUVs, the rumor is that Levante is on Maserati's modified version of the L platform used for the current Ghibli and Quattroporte. Is this true, or is the Levante actually the first vehicle on "G+"?

Will the Grand Cherokee, Wagoneer, and Durango be on the modified L platform, or will they be on "G+" as well?

Will this platform also be used for the Quattroporte and the GranTurismo? I've been assuming that some form of Giorgio will spawn the Alfieri.

guyverfanatic and Prabhjot like this.
  11. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

There is no "modified Giorgio platform", it is all within, as FCA write in its documents "family of architectures". Other manufacturers call it a modular platform.
    There are at least two architectures, one for the "cars" and one for the "SUVs".

Each architecture is already designed to have different lengths, wheelbases, ....
    Usually the wheelase variations are done in the part of rear passengers. All the front is usually always the same due for example to engine/transmission placement, structural strenght/deformation => passive safety.

The family of architectures also include shared component (that can be also more than one).
    There can be multiple variants for suspensions. For example in Small US Wide family of architectures can be found three different rear suspension: indipendent McPherson, indipendent bi-link and semi-indipendent with torsion beam. Than each type suspension can use different materials, ...

note: "Giorgio" name, in my opinion name originating from NAFTA marketing, since in Italy, and Fiat, there is no tradition to gie nicknames to platform, vehicles or engines projects. In the past platforms were named A, B, C, ... than for modular platforms Mini, Small, Compact, ...
    And for car projects names Alfa Romeo Giulia is Project 952, the SUV is project 949, ... Fiat Ducato (/Ram promaster) is X250, and old Fiat X1/9 name is derived its project name :)

pumadog, guyverfanatic, T_690 and 3 others like this.
  12. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

If they follow the Giulia lead and giving the team for refinement. Al is not the only way there will be weight saving, not anywhere sexy but places where a little here and a little there add up to big savings.

Just saying.

TRaceR likes this.
  13. hotmach

hotmach Not an insider !

So where will product development be when SM steps out and the new guy takes over. The way things change at FCA this all seems optimistic and premature. How many times will the focus of Chrysler and Dodge change by 2021 ?

14. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

Hope the 8 speed is the present unit with some more refinements, don't need to go through another all new transmission "adjustment". The rest of it sounds all good to me.

15. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels The "Front-Line" Perspective

The 8 Speed in its current state is, IMO, the best part of my R/T. Manipulates 370HP beautifully, and in Sport mode provide the "neck snap" should I ever feel the need for speed.

16. oh2o

Level III Supporter

Unless it's gets changed, 2nd gen 8=spd is spec'd across the board for the new Charger.

guyverfanatic, UN4GTBL and Mike V. like this.
  17. redhed

Level III Supporter

the second generation 8HP has been in production for two years already. one would hope to hell the bugs are worked out by the time the charger gets it! :D

Start of Volume Production - New Generation of the 8HP in the BMW 5 Series

18. JohnRogers

JohnRogers Paper Tag Rubicon

This thread pleases me.

As for SM's departure won't this be baked in already? Will Challenger be restyled and called something else?

19. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

The Giorgio architecture is the basis for the new E-segment platform. Similar to how the CUSW platform came about. However, the architecture itself will be used by Maserati & Alfa was will. This means a lot more cost development for engineering. So it should be an amazing platform.

20. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

Challenger will retain its name as far as I know. The Barracuda name attached to the clay model at the dealer show was just for feedback. Challenger has a success and it would be devastating to destroy the brand awareness of the nameplate. The car will be an revolutionary take instead of evolutionary.