AF: Next Generation Charger News: | Page 28 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Next Generation Charger News:

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by redriderbob, Jul 8, 2016.

1. James A

James A Active Member

Don W likes this.
  2. Ryan

Staff Member Level III Supporter

Turbo 4 was intended to be a Pentastar replacement. That engine is even marketed as the up level engine in the Cherokee and Wrangler. I'd be willing to bet we'll see that engine appear in the new Charger and Challenger. We were specifically told that the turbo 4 would replace the V6 and a new 6-cylinder would replace the Hemi in many applications.

I do agree with @James A though. I've got the Pentastar in my car and the power is insufficient. It's been a reliable engine, but not especially efficient either. I think it's a good engine engine, I would just like it more if it had been bumped up to around 330 horsepower by now.

James A, HotCarNut and Don W like this.
  3. Don W

Don W Active Member

Thanks for the clear up. I was just confused because there was no mention of it in the article.

I have heard good things about the pentastar in the truck application like solid towing numbers, decent output, and solid fuel economy. But in other applications (especially in the caravan) it is on the weaker side.

Edit: The turbo 4 has also seen good praise. An engine I would opt for in a wrangler.

James A likes this.
  4. Ryan

I guess I can't really fault the Pentastar for not having enough power when I could (and should) have opted for a Hemi, but it would just be nice to see it bumped up to numbers similar to what the Camaro 3.6 has.

The 2.0 does seem like a good engine. The Giulia 4-cylinder was surprisingly quick, quiet, and smooth, and although it isn't the same engine that's in the Wrangler and Cherokee, if the Jeep engine is anything like the Alfa engine it will be a hit. I probably wouldn't buy a new Wrangler or Cherokee without opting for the 2.0L. The article didn't mention a 4-cylinder Charger and Challenger, but it's just a personal hunch I have given the power numbers and reviews of the engine we've seen in its current applications. It would make an excellent replacement for the Pentastar in the Charger if it had just a bit more power.

James A likes this.
  5. jam1

jam1 Well-Known Member

Hello James, let me begin with clarifying that I am not a certified mechanic and don't know your mechanical abilities. I merely wish to offer the following for your consideration and help: Consider cleaning the inlet(some term a throttle body) area of the butterfly. You can locate methods on the internet. Also, you may check the Idle air Control "sensor". I've seen and heard of both these issues causing rough idling. Let me apologize to others as I know this is not a proper location to begin a "fix-it" shop...… just wish to help another. Sincerely hope the above suggestions help.

James A, wtxiceman and freshforged like this.
  6. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

From the few hundred miles I've put on my new DS Ram with the Pentastar, I'm underwhelmed. It's leaps and bounds better than my tired old 4.7L V8, but the Pentastar in our 2017 Durango gives a much better seat of the pants kick. The extra weight in the Ram is a noticeable difference to the engine performance. I would expect the torque from the turbo 4 to be a noticeable improvement.

7. Ryan

Unfortunately, no matter how improved it is, there are still going to be people who gripe about a 4-cylinder full-size truck. As we saw when the Silverado 2.7L was announced.

Deckard_Cain and James A like this.
  8. Max Wedge

Max Wedge Well-Known Member

Thats what my understanding was unless things have changed.

James A and Ryan like this.
  9. EVOL

EVOL Active Member

2.7L @ 15psi boost = 5.4L. Wouldn't be my first choice but it'll work especially if the truck its in isn't required to haul anything more than groceries.

10. Ryan

That describes how many people use their trucks.

HotCarNut likes this.
  11. crouchta

crouchta Well-Known Member

I have no power issues with the 3.6 in my Charger and I got 32mpg the other day on a road trip - almost 500 miles on a tank full..... I like it. FYI, this is my 4th vehicle with the Pentastar.

AvengerGuy, James A and MoparJoe like this.
  12. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

Btw wasn't the pentastar not that good of an engine to turbo and would have to be all new, isn't that the reason why we're goin i-6 since they were starting back at ground zero

James A, Ryan and freshforged like this.
  13. serpens

serpens Well-Known Member

It was a fine engine to turbocharge, but an I6 can share a common architecture with the I4. Same reason Mercedes is going back to I6's, for example.

14. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

This was my understanding as well. Negatives seemed to be increased heat buildup, increased cost of manufacturing, and packaging issues, all of which lead to less than impressive horsepower gains.

James A likes this.
  15. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

For many truck owners, no V8 = no bueno. My truck use is lighter duty than in the past, that's why I got (stuck with;)) the Pentastar. Had I stayed in my previous area, Hemi's were made mandatory by the region manager. I can't wait to see what will be available in 2024.:)

16. James A

James A Active Member

This is why I love it here... one of many reasons. The comraderie. Thanks for the response and I think you’re probably right. I noticed that the problem started after I installed my K&N intake system. One day while cleaning the filter I took a look up the tube and saw some black streaks up there that I’m sure should not be there. I’ve been wondering if I put too much of that pink oil on the filter or something. I’m going to have a look at the inlet/throttle body and clean for good measure. Thanks again!!!

In relation to the topic, IF a 2.0 T works in a BMW 5 series I suspect it will be fine in the gen large cars for FCA.

jam1, freshforged and GasAxe like this.
  17. redhed

Level III Supporter

what's hard for me to swallow is that folks are forking out much more than $50k for a four banger these days!!!

James A likes this.
  18. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

This sent me on a goose chase looking for the median purchase price for new cars in the US. Can’t seem to find that statistic anywhere. Weird.

Edit—
    Guess that comes down to the screwy franchise laws and the chaotic mess of incentives and markups that results from that. Too bad ‘cause Seems to me median cost is much more valuable than the average.

#558 freshforged, Jul 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  19. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

Packaging was the biggest issue... a twin turbo V6 is quite large and takes up a lot of space.

Mike

freshforged, sickboy and James A like this.
  20. James A

James A Active Member

It is mind blowing to me. My cousin has a 328 on lease that is ending soon. I went with him to check out dealer demo deals on the new 5 series... I forget the price but it was around $560 a month for a demo 530 which has the 2.0. I’m like dude, get a HEMI. Any HEMI.

jam1, hmk123, Max Wedge and 1 other person like this.