Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Next Generation of Mail Trucks Testing...

Discussion in 'Auto News & Rumors' started by redriderbob, Nov 26, 2017.

1. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

[​IMG]

AM General's Entry For Next Mail Carrier Spied Testing (at https://www.motor1.com/news/186095/am-general-mail-carrier-truck/ )

[​IMG]

Mahindra USPS Mail Truck photo (at https://www.motor1.com/photo/2409531/mahindra-usps-mail-truck/ )

workhorse-electric-truck-side.jpg

https://www.trucks.com/2017/10/09/spy-shots-postal-service-workhorse-electric-mail-truck/

Those vying for the contract include AM General, Karsan/Morgan Olson, Oshkosh, Utilimaster Corp., and VT Hackney/Workhorse, a handful of which have already been spotted testing on public roads.

The new Postal Service contract will put up to 180,000 new vehicles on the road over the course of seven years, an estimated $6.3 billion worth of business. "Real-world" testing of the prototypes kicked off in October, and will continue in cities like Flint, Michigan; Leesburg, Virginia; and Tucson, Arizona, before a decision is made early in 2018.

Personally, I think the AM General one looks the best and makes the most sense.

2. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

AM general is the only company I have heard of...Strange that big 3 don't have anything

3. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

Talk about big black rubber baby buggy bumpers on that AM General.
    I like the AM General because it looks like a mail truck.
    Somehow the Mahindra looks more like a milk truck, the rounded front fenders I guess.

4. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

Well if the USPS goes with a foreign company for mail trucks, I am sure the Trump Admin will put a block on it. Remember AM General's history...

AM General produced buses, large trucks, and Jeeps for industrial, military, and government use. In the late 1970s, it developed the High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle (HMMWV, nicknamed "Humvee") for military use as a heavy-duty replacement for the jeep. The vehicle later became available in a civilian version sold under the Hummer brand name. Another familiar product from the AM General line was the Jeep DJ-5 series—a purpose built "Dispatch Jeep" 2-wheel drive (RWD) version of the Jeep CJ-5—used in huge numbers as a right-hand drive mail delivery vehicle by the United States Postal Service. Production of buses lasted only from 1974 until 1979.

American Motors ended its history as an independent automaker in 1982 when controlling interest in the company was purchased by France's Renault. U.S. government regulations at that time forbade ownership of defense contractors by foreign governments, and Renault was partially owned by the French government. Therefore, in 1983, AM General was sold by AMC to the LTV Corporation and it became a wholly owned subsidiary of the LTV Aerospace and Defense Company. (As a result, AM General remained an independent company after AMC was purchased by Chrysler Corporation.)

GasAxe likes this.
  5. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Active Member

While driving around my local area the other day running errands, I spotted mail being delivered in what looked like one of those European-style vans......Perhaps a Sprinter, or something of the like.

I know I'm showing my age, but.....somehow.....it just looked odd.

6. KrisW

KrisW Active Member

I saw a few Ram ProMaster vans in USPS livery in Texas. There was a story on here a while ago that FCA had sold a lot of them to the postal service for doing bulk deliveries.

7. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

I hope Oshkosh wins just for semi local civic pride.

page2171 likes this.
  8. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

How semi local?

9. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

This is in addition to the LLVs?

I think Oshkosh already won the Humvee replacement contract, right? I recall the LLV contract being awarded, too, but I forget who got it... maybe I'm mixing the two up?

Electric postal vehicles make a lot of sense, it's almost the ideal use case, short distances, fleet maintenance, overnight charging, total stop and go, no need for top speeds over, say, 50 mph... they could have done this 20 years ago.

The last electric vehicle niche to survive from the first generation (1800s-1970s) was short-run freight delivery vehicles that ran from railyards to town, in Britain.

voiceofstl likes this.
  10. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

Oshkosh did win the Humvee replacement contract. The replacement is the JLTV. Don't know about the LLV. For those that are curious, here are a few pics of what Oshkosh has made for the military in recent years.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

In the UP by Iron Mountain.:)

12. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

Ah! A Yooper! I'm about 20 miles from Oshkosh, so it is more local for me than semi-local.

GasAxe likes this.
  13. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Not big on styling, are they? But it's good to see Oshkosh getting the work.

And now I know how Iron Mountain still exists ;)

GasAxe likes this.
  14. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

These specialized commercial vehicle manufacturers may be best positioned for the glamorless future of autonomous driving Bob Lutz is promising us.

15. voiceofstl

The Post office is going with the larger ProMaster for larger deliverys like between post offices and such.
    This artical is about relacing the smaller LLV.
    To the untrained eye a sprinter could be mistaken for a ProMaster..The Post office has already been useing tousands of the ProMaster.

16. LouJC

LouJC Active Member

Ahh but will any of them last as long as the LLV (built by Grumman), it was 'only' supposed to last 20 years but the last ones were built in '87.

17. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Active Member

What I saw over the weekend was probably a ProMaster. That would certainly count as a "European-style" van.;)

18. KrisW

KrisW Active Member

19. voiceofstl

Depends on what you mean by "lasting". The aluminum body is lasting but its built on a chevy S-10 frame and drive train.
    So a typical LLV may have gone through numerious engines and transmission.

20. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

ScramFan likes this.