Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Next Journey: Italian RWD (updated)

Discussion in 'Dodge Journey' started by Dave Z, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

The next Dodge Journey will not only have rear wheel drive, but will be made in Italy, according to Automotive News’ First Shift. Allpar has speculated that the Journey’s current form factor would shift to Chrysler, replaced by a rear wheel drive crossover at Dodge, for over a year, based largely on FCA’s apparent decision to bolster Dodge’s “muscle car” image. This also explains why there does not seem to be a replacement for the Dodge Caravan […]
    Read the whole post here.

2. NWbyNW

NWbyNW Active Member

They better get it to market then quick. I look forward to seeing what it will look like.

The current Journey is selling great, for such an aged product. I hope the new one will still have a model cheap enough that people will happily buy them. It would also seem Dodge's image won't just be muscle cars again, maybe more mainstream? Chrysler upper mainstream?

I'm seeing Journey's marked down as low as $14k brand new, base stock.

3. dodgeismycar

dodgeismycar Active Member

Good day everyone!
    I am in the market for new tires for my 2013 SXT.
    Any suggestions on brand??

4. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Check Tire Rack recommendations and reviews, particularly their own reviews, for tires in your size - I have had good luck with General, Goodyear, Bridgestone, Michelin, and Yokohama, and bad experiences with Goodyear and Cooper. As in, companies make good and bad tires for various applications... and what is good on one car is bad on another. (Our Neon had Eagle RS-A tires which were excellent. Our 300M had the same tires and they were good. Our PT Cruiser GT had the same tires and they were simply awful.)

5. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

I'm sure their plan is to do away with the discounts that make the current Journey a bargain in search of a bigger profit margin. They tried that with the 200 and it didn't work. We'll have to see if it works with "new Journey".

6. dodgeismycar

dodgeismycar Active Member

Thank you Dave
    It sounds like it might be a crap shoot.

7. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

I have not gone wrong following Tire Rack. The closest I've gotten to “wrong” is losing a little comfort and whitewalls on my Valiant, but dang, the stopping distances and improved turning make it worthwhile.

I had factory Eagle RS-A tires on the PT. They lasted all of 12,000 miles and couldn't handle or stop in snow or rain, and couldn't handle the power on dry roads. Tire Rack pointed me to the Goodyear Eagle F1 all-season — the same name but a totally different tire from the Goodyear Eagle F1 summer tires, go figure. They did not wear in the time I had them, were more comfortable, quieter, handled better in ANY condition, were great in snow, and — get this — were cheaper!

With Goodyear, at least, I believe they make some tires available at a steep discount to automakers and sell them at a stiff premium at retail, knowing that most owners will just get what they have again, and sometimes that's a good idea, especially in the 1994-1999 (or so) Mopars when they matched tire to application well. Today you are far better off with a different tire, at least for Goodyears. But you do need to read at least some unbiased reviews.

I tried using CR but they only rarely test tires and then, in a very specific range. As for Tire Rack, the main problem I have with them is that their test cars all seemed to be BMWs.

floridaman2013 likes this.