Allpar Forums banner

NHRA Race Thread - Toyota Nationals at Las Vegas Motor Speedway

6K views 25 replies 6 participants last post by  con383 
#1 ·

The Jim Dunn Racing Dodge Charger R/T Funny Car driven by Jeff Arend will be sporting new colors at the NHRA Toyota Nationals this weekend.

The green-and-white livery comes courtesy of ALO Drink, an aloe vera-based beverage made and marketed …

Continue reading...

See less See more
#8 ·
Team MOPAR is back in action in Las Vegas ready to battle & the drivers are equally as ready after a three week break to decide who will be champions for 2014!

In recent news John Force's crew chief Jimmy Prock in a stunning announcement & major coup just last week quits his team & joins Don Shumacher Racing! Welcome the to MOPAR family Jimmy Prock.

More on this story in a little while...

Funny Car Entry List

# Cls Driver Hometown Make Eng Entry

1 FC John Force Yorba Linda CA '14 Ford JFR 500 CASTROL GTX HM FORD MUSTANG

2 FC Matt Hagan Christiansburg VA '14 Dodge DSM 500 MOPAR/ROCKY BOOTS DSR DODGE CHARGER

3 FC Jack Beckman Norco CA '13 Dodge dsm 500 VALVOLINE DSR DODGE CHARGER

4 FC Cruz Pedregon Brownsburg IN '14 Toyota AJ 500 SNAP-ON Toyota Camry

5 FC Robert Hight Yorba Linda CA '14 Ford JFR 500 AUTO CLUB OF S. CALIF/FORD

7 FC Courtney Force Yorba Linda CA '14 Ford JFR 500 TRAXXAS RADIO CONTROL CARS

10 FC Tim Wilkerson Springfield IL '14 Ford AJ 500 LEVI RAY & SHOUP INC

28 FC Ron Capps Carlsbad CA '14 Dodge DSM 500 NAPA AUTO PARTS DSR FC TEAM DODGE CHARGER

33 FC Tommy Johnson Jr Avon IN '14 Dodge DSM 496 MAKE-A-WISH DSR DODGE CHARGER

72 FC Tony Pedregon Brownsburg IN '13 Toyota AJ 496 MICRO STRATEGIES

77 FC Robert Tasca III Cranston RI '14 Ford JFR 500 MOTORCRAFT / QUICK LANE

116 FC Paul Lee Orange CA '10 Dodge AJ 500 MCLEOD RACING/GARY DENSHAM
DODGE CHARGER

121 FC Terry Haddock Temple TX '09 Chevy BAE 500 PATRIOT GRADING/DIPINTO

170 FC Jeff Arend La Verne CA '14 Charger BAE 500 JIM DUNN RACING GRIME BOSS DODGE CHARGER

303 FC John Bojec Mentor OH '12 Toyota AJ 500 SPEED CITY

702 FC Jon Capps Las Vegas NV '09 Chevrolet TFX 500 BUCKEY AUTOMOTIVE

719 FC Jeffrey Diehl Salinas CA '11 Toyota BAE 500 JEFF DIEHL RACING

750 FC Del Worsham Villa Park CA '13 Toyota AJ 500 DHL

771 FC Alexis De Joria Ypsilanti MI '12 Toyota AJ 500 TEQUILA PATRON

3111 FC Chad Head Lewis Center OH '12 Toyota AJ 500 HEAD INC

Funny Car Entry List

# Cls Driver Hometown Make Eng Entry

1 PS Jeg Coughlin Jr Delaware OH '14 Dart MOPAR 500 JEGS.COM MOPAR DODGE DART

2 PS Allen Johnson Greeneville TN '14 Dart MOPAR 500 MOPAR/J & J RACING DODGE DART

3 PS Jason Line Troutman NC '13 Camaro GM 500 SUMMIT RACING

6 PS Erica Enders-Stevens New Orleans LA '14 Camaro GM 500 ELITE MOTORSPORTS

7 PS V Gaines Lakewood CO '14 Avenger MOPR 500 KENDALL OIL DODGE DART

8 PS Greg Anderson Mooresville NC '13 Camaro GM 500 SUMMIT RACING EQUIPMENT

10 PS Rodger Brogdon Tomball TX '13 Camaro GM 500 KENT SERVICES & TRUCKING

11 PS Shane Gray Denver NC '14 Camaro GM 500 N/A

12 PS Larry Morgan Newark OH '13 Mustang Ford 500 LUCAS OIL FORD MUSTANG

13 PS Jonathan Gray Mooresville NC '14 Camaro Chev 500 GRAY MOTORSPORTS

30 PS Steve Schmidt Indianapolis IN '07 Cobalt GM 499 STEVE SCHMIDT COMPETITION EN

51 PS Dave Connolly Mooresville NC '14 Camaro GM 500 GRAY MOTORSPORTS

52 PS Deric Kramer Sterling CO '13 Dodge MOPAR 500 AMERICAN ETHANOL,MADCAP,NOVO DODGE AVENGER

154 PS Vincent Nobile Dix Hills NY '13 Camaro GM 500 MOUNTAINVIEW TIRE

442 PS Aaron Stanfield Bossier City LA '14 Camaro GM 500 C-TECH

666 PS Matthew Hartford Phoenix AZ '13 Dodge MOPAR 500 TOTAL SEAL-NICKENS-CIP 1 DODGE AVENGER

4264 PS Chris McGaha Odessa TX '13 Camaro GM 500 HARLOW SAMMONS OF ODESSA

7236 PS Jeffrey Isbell Salt Lake City UT '13 Camaro Chev 499 SUN LITHO

#9 ·
http://www.nationaldragster.net/bit...2-schumacher-focused-on-business-at-hand.html

Schumacher Focused on Business at Hand
Written by Phil Burgess

With two of his team cars – driven by son Tony Schumacher in Top Fuel and Matt Hagan in Funny Car – leading the Mello Yello points standings with two races to go, these are pretty exciting times for Don Schumacher. Against all of the background noise of last week’s news about superstar crew chief Jimmy Prock resigning from John Force Racing and being quickly hired by Schumacher, “the Don” has quietly been going about the business of preparing for the final two events amid the swirl of speculation surrounding the news.

“It hasn't been a distraction for my organization because it’s something that really didn't involve any of my people except for myself,” Schumacher insisted. “Jimmy became available, and after the things that transpired there in the Force camp, I hired him and put him to work.”

Because they are the two winningest teams in NHRA Drag Racing history – Don Schumacher Racing has won 238 NHRA national event titles and 11 world championships; John Force Racing has won 237 national events and 18 world championships – it’s not like their longstanding rivalry needed any more stoking, but last week’s news certainly would seem to have added fuel to that fire and certainly some intrigue with just two races remaining in the battle for the 2014 NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series Funny Car world championship.

Force, who trails Hagan by 36 points entering this weekend’s NHRA Toyota Nationals, has publicly dismissed the notion that he had any negative feelings toward the Schumacher camp – “It’s just business,” he insisted – but he’s had to scramble to assemble a new team in the wake of the departure of Prock as well as some members of the crew loyal to Prock. The Force team insists that it’s flexible and has become cross-trained well enough in the past few years to absorb the loss of Prock. With a brain trust that includes a world championship tuner in Mike Neff, a veteran nitro racer in John Medlen, versatility in Dean “Guido” Antonelli, and experienced hands such as Ron Douglas and Todd Smith, they’re deep enough to absorb the blow, and Force himself is nothing if not a master motivator.

“We’re going to come out swinging,” Force said. “I’ll have a good race car; you can count on that. The rest is where Lady Luck takes us. I always believed that if you stand up and you fight, you do the best you can, and with a little help from the good Lord and the people around you, you'll be OK. If you win, that’s great. That’s the icing on the cake. But if you lose and you gave it everything you got, you still won. John Force needs to get up and rally himself and his team, whether new or old, and that’s what I plan on doing.”

According to the team, Force’s Castrol GTX Ford will be tuned primarily in Las Vegas by Medlen, with input from Neff.

Schumacher will not directly employ Prock against his former boss in Las Vegas – he says he even initially contemplated not even taking him to the event – but instead will put him to work on Jack Beckman’s car, with crew chief Todd Okuhara, and on the car of Bob Tasca III, which has a technical alliance with Schumacher.

“Matt and Dickie [Venables, crew chief] have done an incredible job already in the Countdown, so trying to bring Jimmy into the mix could be a potential distraction; I choose not to do that,” said Schumacher. “Jimmy will be there and certainly ready to do anything we ask him to do, but it’s more about getting our feet solid on the ground for 2015. Jimmy is tremendously talented, but his focus in Las Vegas will be on helping the Beckman car and the Tasca car.

“Getting Jimmy is a remarkable accomplishment,” he added. “Jimmy even worked for me for a short time in early 2000, but he didn’t really want to run a Funny Car, and I didn’t have a dragster for him to run. He went on to John Force Racing and has had a storied career there. When the opportunity presented itself last week, I certainly engaged him at DSR.

Schumacher is looking to monopolize the nitro championships as he did in 2005, when son Tony won in Top Fuel and Gary Scelzi in Funny Car, and in 2012, when Antron Brown and Beckman accomplished the same feat. While Hagan’s lead is a tenuous 36 over Force, Tony Schumacher has an almost insurmountable 134-point lead over Doug Kalitta.

“I feel very good about Tony’s situation,” said Schumacher. “But, as I do at every race, I worry about qualifying. The 'little' [qualifying-session bonus] points are very meaningful, but anymore, you have to worry about your teams getting in the show, period. It’s a tough, tough game out there, and one little hiccup – from pushing the car too hard or trying a few things – can really put you behind the eight ball. With a nitromethane engine, anything can happen on a run, from a simple part that fails to a major explosion based on a mistake.”

The DSR teams will test Monday after the event, and Prock will certainly be part of that, but there’s no formal decision on which of Schumacher’s seven teams he will land next season.

“Change is always good; just moving some people around may be a benefit to everybody in my organization,” said Schumacher.

Even though he’s battling for two championships, Schumacher is not resting on his laurels. He’s about to add 50,000 feet of work area to his race car shop to expand his burgeoning parts business and his technical alliances.

“We make about 400 different parts for our race cars,” he said. “We have a proprietary engine block that comes out of Dart; we have blower cases; we make everything from connecting rods to components that mount the body to the chassis. Having long-term alliances with the U.S. Army, NAPA, Matco Tools, and Mopar has allowed me to expand my business on an annual basis and get more involved in the part-building business for other teams. I look to expand that business considerably in the years ahead; I have some real high goals.”

Bob Vandergriff Racing is one of those teams with a technical alliance with DSR, and Schumacher says he’ll be watching with interest Vandergriff’s new driver, highly regarded Pro Stock wheelman Dave Connolly.

“He can be very scary on the starting line with his reaction times,” Schumacher acknowledged. “We’ve seen guys like [Shawn] Langdon and [Spencer] Massey and Antron Brown [who are great leavers], and we’ve seen how the other guys, including my son, Tony, and the Kalittas, have been able to step up their games. We welcome the challenge of Dave coming over, and it will probably lead to everyone stepping up their game even more.”

#10 ·
From NHRA.com - News from the competitors side....

Latest challenge could bring out the best in Force
Tuesday, October 28, 2014

When the outlook has been at its most challenging for NHRA Funny Car icon John Force over the years, that has often brought out the very best in the 16-time and reigning world champion.

After the departure of longtime crew chief Jimmy Prock last Wednesday with only two races remaining in the NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series Countdown to the Championship, that famed rallying response will be put to the test one more time for the legendary Force.

He enters this weekend’s 14th annual NHRA Toyota Nationals at The Strip at Las Vegas Motor Speedway in second place, 36 points behind rival Matt Hagan. Getting past the red-hot Hagan, who won the most recent event in Reading and has two Countdown victories this season, will be difficult, but doing so without Prock leaves Force and his 10,000-horsepower Castrol GTX Ford Mustang with one more massive challenge to overcome.

“We’re going to come out swinging,” Force said. “I’ll have a good race car in [Vegas], you can count on that. The rest is where Lady Luck takes us. I always believed that if you stand up and you fight, you do the best you can, and with a little help from the good Lord and the people around you, you'll be OK. If you win, that’s great. That’s the icing on the cake. But if you lose and you gave it everything you got, you still won. John Force needs to get up and rally himself and his team, whether new or old, and that’s what I plan on doing.”

Antron Brown (Top Fuel), Shane Gray (Pro Stock), and Matt Smith (Pro Stock Motorcycle) joined Force as winners of this event last year. The race will once again be televised nationally on ESPN2.

Force has often found a rallying cry when his back has been against the wall, and it has routinely brought out some of the best performances in his career.

After finishing ninth in 2009 without a victory that season – Force’s worst finish since 1984 at that point – and hearing whispers he may be on the decline, Force rebounded by claiming the championship in 2010, knocking off Hagan in Las Vegas and winning the final event of the season en route to the title. Force finished ninth in 2011 and 2012, winning just two races in that time, but bounced back in 2013 to slip past Hagan, who led the points race for most of the season. Force won this event a year ago to finish off the world championship, meaning the added pressure, which this year again includes trying to track down Hagan, seems to bring out his best performances.

“I race two different styles,” Force said. “When you’re in the lead, at least I do, you have a certain style to race, be protective of the points. When you’re behind, you open up, and it’s guns a-blazing. That’s how I’m going into Vegas. I told my daughters Courtney and Brittany, you can’t look at those races or any round or qualifying or a final any different than you did opening day at Pomona. The race car doesn’t know the difference. If you set the pace of where you’re going and do what you’ve always done, then your best potential will come out as a driver in the driver’s seat. So, nope, I’m going to address Vegas and Pomona as any other race, and I’ll see how the cards fall.”

Force’s history of performing well when adversity is knocking at his door certainly reads long, but he will also have to deal with a talented Funny Car field that goes well beyond Hagan. Daughter Courtney trails Hagan by 72 points and is in the mix for her first championship, and John Force Racing teammate Robert Hight is also still in contention.

Other Countdown competitors include Tommy Johnson Jr., who is 110 points behind Hagan in fourth, Ron Capps, Cruz Pedregon, Alexis DeJoria, Tim Wilkerson, and Del Worsham. The departure of Prock adds to the degree of difficulty, but Force, who has 141 victories, is looking forward to the challenge.

“Look, I made the decision on this,” Force said. “I’m going to go with my decision, but I’m not going to jeopardize Robert’s chance at a title or my daughter Courtney’s chance at a title or my daughter Brittany at her first win [in Top Fuel]. I don’t do business that way. Like I said, it’s not just about championships to me. It’s can I rally this team back together? That’s what I’m best at. I’ve done it a lot of times, and I’m going to try.”

In Top Fuel, Brown, the 2012 world champ, is a two-time winner in Las Vegas, but the driver in command heading into the penultimate race is seven-time world champion Tony Schumacher. After winning three of the first four races in the Countdown, Schumacher, an eight-time winner at The Strip at LVMS, holds a 134-point lead over Doug Kalitta. Steve Torrence sits in third, reigning world champion Shawn Langdon is fourth in points, and other Countdown competitors include Spencer Massey, reigning Auto Club of Southern California Road to the Future Award winner Brittany Force, Khalid alBalooshi, Indy winner Richie Crampton, and J.R. Todd.

In Pro Stock, one of the most intense playoff battles is brewing among as many as five drivers. Jason Line leads the pack, and Erica Enders-Stevens, Dave Connolly, Gray, and Allen Johnson are within striking range of a championship. Jonathan Gray, Jeg Coughlin Jr., V. Gaines, Vincent Nobile, and Chris McGaha round out the Countdown field.

Smith was victorious in Pro Stock Motorcycle last season en route to his second championship ring. But the 2014 season has belonged to Screamin’ Eagle Vance & Hines Harley-Davidson teammates Andrew Hines and Eddie Krawiec. Both have won this event three times, and Hines holds a 25-point advantage over Krawiec. Hector Arana Jr. is in third, and other marquee challengers in the two-wheel category are Steve Johnson, Angie Smith, Scotty Pollacheck, John Hall, Hector Arana Sr., Michael Ray, Jerry Savoie, and Angelle Sampey.

The event will also feature thrilling competition in the NHRA Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series, and one driver will be crowned world champion at the NHRA Pro Mod Drag Racing Series season finale.

As always, fans will have the opportunity to interact with their favorite drivers as they’re granted an exclusive pit pass to the most powerful and sensory-filled motorsports attraction on the planet. This unique opportunity in motorsports gives fans direct access to the teams, allowing them to see firsthand the highly skilled mechanics service their hot rods between rounds and enjoy cherished face time with and get autographs from their favorite NHRA drivers.

Fans also will want to visit NHRA’s popular Nitro Alley and Manufacturers Midway, where sponsors and race vendors create a carnival atmosphere with interactive displays, simulated competitions, merchandise, food, and fun for the entire family.

Mello Yello Drag Racing Series qualifying begins Friday, Oct. 31, with sessions at 1 and 4 p.m. The final two qualifying sessions will take place Saturday, Nov. 1, at 1 and 4 p.m. Final eliminations are scheduled for 11 a.m. Sunday, Nov. 2.

#11 ·
Johnson not holding anything back heading into Las Vegas event

Thursday, October 30, 2014

After a slow start to the NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series Countdown to the Championship, Allen Johnson knows he is a long shot to claim his second career Pro Stock world championship.

But thanks to a strong turnaround and final-round appearance at the circuit’s most recent event in Reading, that glimmer of hope is all Johnson needs to get fired up for the final two events of the 2014 NHRA season.

The first of those comes at this weekend’s 14th annual NHRA Toyota Nationals at The Strip at Las Vegas Motor Speedway, and Johnson enters the event in fifth place, 106 points behind Jason Line. It also means Johnson remains alive in the championship hunt in his Team Mopar/Magneti Marelli Dodge Dart, which is all he needs to hear.

“It puts a competitiveness in me that is really unmatched,” Johnson said. “I will fight to the end. I haven't been surprised at all with how tough the competition has been this year, and specifically in the Countdown, I knew everyone would be tough, and it’s all about rising to the occasion. We have two races to go for broke, and we intend of giving it all we got. The winners in all of this will be Pro Stock fans because it’s been a fantastic fight. We will try our best as a championship team right to the end.”

Antron Brown (Top Fuel), John Force (Funny Car), Shane Gray (Pro Stock), and Matt Smith (Pro Stock Motorcycle) were last year’s winners of the penultimate Countdown playoff event that will once again be televised nationally on ESPN2.

Johnson, who won the world championship in Pro Stock in 2012, appeared to have his championship hopes dashed early in the Countdown to the Championship after collecting just two round-wins in the first three races, dropping all the way to eighth in points.

But the true sign of the tremendous parity in Pro Stock was obvious in Reading when numerous upsets caused a shuffle in the points standings. Johnson lost in the final round to Roger Brogdon, but an impressive bounce back left Johnson in fifth thinking more success may be coming soon.

“We definitely have made some changes that helped,” Johnson said. “We fought a bad set of tires, which was the entire problem. We have two more races to show what we’re made of. We’re going to give it our all no matter where we end up."

The added stress of competing in the Countdown, especially during the four consecutive race weekends to open the NHRA playoffs, was something Johnson had to address, and he has been impressed with his team’s strong effort to get better in a hurry. That mindset could also bode well for Johnson trying to climb a steep mountain to claim a world title.

“We are still in the fight,” Johnson said. “Yes, the competition is fierce, as much as we have ever seen. Having the first four races of the Countdown all in a row like that was a big challenge. You've got a lot of nerves and emotions involved in the Countdown with the extra stress of being away from home for that span. We tried to have some team dinners and do something as a team, a family, to calm everyone down and remember to have fun.”

That approach will be key since Johnson is in a mix of five drivers that are capable of winning a championship in the wildly competitive Pro Stock class. Erica Enders-Stevens sits in second behind series leader Line while Dave Connolly and Gray are both firmly in the championship mix. Jonathan Gray, Jeg Coughlin Jr., V. Gaines, Vincent Nobile, and Chris McGaha are Countdown-eligible drivers who are looking to close out their seasons with a victory.

Johnson, who has four wins this season and 24 in his career, realizes The Strip at Las Vegas Motor Speedway has been very good to his team in recent years. He has posted three wins at the track since 2012, possibly adding more momentum to his late-season charge.

“We are confident and have done really well at Vegas the last few years,” Johnson said. “It is one of our favorite tracks right behind Denver. We must win and need a lot of little points also to have a chance, but all things are possible in Las Vegas, right?”

#12 ·
MOPAR team reports

Jack Beckman
Valvoline/MTS Dodge Charger

Beckman carries Infinite Hero colors into Las Vegas

Jack Beckman will arrive in Las Vegas later this week after enjoying a very special week.

The 2012 NHRA Funny Car world champion, who won at Las Vegas Motor Speedway in 2006, celebrated the 10-year anniversary of his last chemotherapy treatment and in his third season as a national spokesman for Amgen's "Chemotherapy Myth or Facts" campaign.

On Saturday night, he accompanied Don Schumacher Racing sponsor Terry Chandler to Dallas for the American Airlines Sky Ball XII at the Dallas Fort Worth International Airport. The Sky Ball makes a difference for many deserving charities that support American veterans. One of the organizations supporting the event was Oakley's Infinite Hero Foundation that was represented by IHF director Laurie Baker along with Beckman and Terry, who also funds DSR's Make-A-Wish Foundation Funny Car team.

The Infinite Hero Foundation presented two $100,000 grants to during the Sky Ball.

"It was an honor to be there with Terry and Laurie to represent the Infinite Hero Foundation," Beckman said. "A highlight for me was meeting three Medal of Honor recipients."

Beckman, who retired as a U.S. Force sergeant in 1987 at age 21, is playing an integral role with the Infinite Hero Foundation (InfiniteHero.org) and will carry the organization's colors on the sides of his Dodge Charger R/T Funny Car for Don Schumacher Racing this weekend during the NHRA Toyota Nationals at The Strip at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.

The Infinite Hero Foundation, which is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, combats mental and physical front-line issues facing returning military heroes and their families. The Foundation funds programs that drive innovation and the accessibility of effective treatments for military heroes and their families dealing with service-related mental and physical injuries.

In addition to raising awareness, Beckman has helped generate more than $75,000 for IHF since late April largely through the sale over more than $40,000 in "challenge coins" produced by Oakley. Since the sixth event of the NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series season, he has carried 10 of the coins each time his Funny Car goes down the track and personally autographs each. The coins are sold for a $100 donation to IHF at events and can be purchased for $120, which includes a T-shirt while supplies last, at ShoeRacing.com's website (stores.ebay.com/donschumacherracing).

This weekend's event at Las Vegas will be the sixth race with IHF for Beckman this year. He will carry a special coin and memorial card to honor the late Sgt. Christopher Michael Graves Jr. of Alabama, a member of the U.S. Army Special Forces 1st Special Forces Delta Team 170 who was killed in action on June 10, 2013.

On Thursday afternoon, Beckman will visit the Veterans Administration Hospital near the speedway (6900 North Pecos Road, North Las Vegas) marking his 16th visit with veterans in Las Vegas including 14 previous stops at Mike O'Callaghan Federal Medical Center, a federal hospital operated by the U.S. Air Force across from Nellis Air Force Base.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matt Hagan
Mopar/Rocky Boots Charger

Hagan focused on points lead

It's hard not to think of the big picture with only two races remaining in the NHRA Countdown to the Championship but the focus for Matt Hagan and the Mopar Express Lane Funny Car team is narrow.

Hagan takes a 36-point lead in his hunt for a second NHRA world championship into this weekend's NHRA Nationals at The Strip at Las Vegas Motor Speedway, the penultimate event in NHRA's 24-race Mello Yello Drag Racing Series season.

The first task for the team led by crew chief Dickie Venables and assistant Michael Knudsen is to get the 10,000-horsepower Dodge Charger R/T qualified in the top half of the 16-car field for Sunday's eliminations.

Then the team will focus on a race day set up.

"We have to take it one lap at a time and not get ahead of ourselves," Hagan said. "It's important to go out there on Friday and get our weekend started off right and make a good, solid lap.

"Dickie is so focused on our team and our car right now. These guys are hungry, they have a lot to prove. Dickie always has great game plan and he's a smart racer. I have all of the confidence in the world in him and my guys and me as a driver. I can't wait to crawl back into my race car."

After a three-week break in the Countdown to the Championship, Hagan just wants to get back to the track and try to get momentum going again.

"We're in the middle of this championship battle and it started off really well for us and then we took a break," he said of the team winning two of the past four titles. "I know I'm ready to get back to racing and my guys are too. We had great momentum going so we're looking to get that back."

The Mopar team has a round win-loss record of 12-2 through four races in the Countdown to the Championship and a 33-19 record through 22 races this season. Hagan has two runner-up finishes (2010, 2009) at the Las Vegas facility but has never won an event title there.

"We started off this Countdown real strong. With two wins and a runner-up in three out of four races so we are on a roll. To be honest, there's not that much pressure on us. Everyone expects John (Force, who is second in points) to win this thing. We just have to go out there and do our thing and not worry about anyone else. We have the team that is capable of doing that.

"I can't wait to get to Vegas."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ron Capps
NAPA Auto Parts Dodge Charger

Capps still shooting for the top

Ron Capps and the NAPA Auto Parts team are intent on climbing up the NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series championship standings this weekend in the NHRA Toyota Nationals at The Strip at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.

He won't rule out overcoming Don Schumacher Racing teammate Matt Hagan, who sits atop the standings with two events left in the season, and is confident the NAPA Auto Parts Dodge Charger R/T team can at least move up from seventh in points.

A perfect weekend for a Mello Yello driver can produce 150 points and that means 300 can be earned over the last two events. Capps is 169 points behind Hagan and 97 out of third.

"It's a longshot but mathematically we can still catch Hagan," Capps said. "It's important to us that we finish the season strong.

"When we had our debriefing after the Reading event (three weeks ago crew chief Rahn) Tobler said we have to go win Vegas and then Pomona and whatever happens around us happens. You have to keep that glimmer of hope that we still have a shot at the championship."

The Strip at Las Vegas Motor Speedway has been good to Capps . He has won a track-best five NHRA Funny Car titles there including four times in the fall event. He has swept the track's two annual events in 2001, 2011 and 2012.

Capps and the NAPA team have won two titles this season through 22 events and are one of only six teams to win at least two NHRA Wally trophies.

"We've gone through the year with a consistently great race car, but with the Countdown to the Championship set up the way it is you don't have to be the best car all year long like it used to be; you have to have the best car over the last six races.

"We had a couple of disappointing races that dropped us in points while Hagan had a couple fantastic races in the Countdown," Capps said of his teammate winning two of the first four Countdown events and finishing second in another. They've done well when it counted."

#13 ·
MOPAR Team Reports

Tommy Johnson
Make-A-Wish Dodge Charger

Trophy within reach for Johnson Jr. and surging team

Tommy Johnson Jr. and the Don Schumacher Racing Make-A-Wish Funny Car team have been waiting very patiently for this weekend and the 14th annual NHRA Toyota Nationals at The Strip at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. Fresh off of a final round appearance at Maple Grove Raceway – their third final of the season – the team is eager to return to competition and keep the ball rolling.

For Johnson, returning to Las Vegas is particularly exciting as it is the location where he scored the fifth win of his career with a final round triumph over Whit Bazemore in the spring of 2001. In addition to his Vegas win, Johnson was a finalist at the spring race in 2002 and was runner-up at the fall event in 2006 to current DSR teammate Jack Beckman.

"The Strip at Las Vegas Motor Speedway has always been a good track for me," said Johnson. "Going into the last two races of the season, it's a need-to-win situation, and I couldn't ask for a more favorable track to get this going. We're excited."

Johnson and the formidable Make-A-Wish Dodge Charger R/T have charged all the way up to the No. 4 position in the Funny Car standings. They were a season-high No. 2 following a final round performance in Chicago, and the well-bonded Terry Chandler-sponsored team is looking to climb with Las Vegas as the next rung on the ladder.

"We've gone over every stone and left nothing unturned," said Johnson. "The guys have done a lot of prep work in addition to our normal maintenance since the last race. They've made sure everything is perfect and gone over things once, twice, three times. I don't know if we could be any more ready than we are right now. All we have to do is go to the racetrack and win the race."

For Johnson and the team, this is no new recipe.

"It's what you always want. It's what you always intend to do, but I think we're more focused than we've ever been," Johnson continued. "We know what's at hand, and just as we always do, we're going to try to perform to the best of our abilities. It's been a very relaxed atmosphere at the shop, and I think that's good – it would scare me if the guys were nervous. We're all going about our business, and we know exactly what we have to do."

Johnson is No. 4 in the Funny Car points, just 114 marks back from the top spot and poised to finish better than ever. His best previous finish was in the No. 6 position, where he landed in both 2005 and 2006.

"Knowing what this team is capable of makes this point in the season very exciting," said Johnson. "We know what we can do, and therefore we want to go and do it. None of us want to have any regrets, and I don't think we will. No matter what happens at the end of the year, what we learn in these next two races will be very important. We want to be even better next year and in the years that follow, and what we do in Las Vegas and then at the NHRA Finals in Pomona will determine how this season ends and lay the groundwork for the future."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeg Coughlin
JEGS.com Dodge Dart

Coughlin hoping for more good luck at The Strip

Never much of a gambler, five-time Pro Stock champion Jeg Coughlin Jr. considers his bi-annual visits to Las Vegas as business trips. Considering his success rate the last 15 years at The Strip at Las Vegas Motor Speedway, business has been very, very good for the 74-time national event winner.

"I'm always happy to see Las Vegas pop up on the schedule," Coughlin said. "It's a fun city to visit, we have a spectacular racetrack Bruton (Smith) has built for us, and we've had a ton of success on the dragstrip. What's not to love?

"I know most people have their fun a little further south on The Strip, but we get all the thrills we need out at the track."

Coughlin has raced to five victories at The Strip at Las Vegas Motor Speedway in seven final-round appearances. He won three years in a row from 2000 to 2002 and later added back-to-back victories in 2008-2009. He also came in second at both races in 2007.

"I can't explain why some tracks are better than others," said Coughlin, who has won national events at every stop on the tour except Norwalk, Ohio, and Epping, N.H. "If I knew that magic formula I'd bring it with us everywhere we go. There's certainly something to be said for feeling comfortable, and I've always had a good vibe in Vegas.

"These last two racetracks, Vegas and Pomona (Calif.), are two of my favorite and they're also two of the places where we've had a lot of success. I guess those two things go hand-in-hand."

This time through, Coughlin has two main goals: Add to his trophy collection and try to help teammate Allen Johnson, who is still locked in the battle for the 2014 championship.

"We'll do all we can to assist Allen," Coughlin said. "It would be great to see him win a third straight championship for Mopar. If the ladders don't set up where we can help him out, then we'll still try to finish our own season as strong as possible. I know we have everything we need to win these last two races.

"This is the time of the year when the titles are decided. We have a close race as always in Pro Stock with half a dozen drivers still fighting for it, and the nitro and Pro Stock Bike classes are stacked up as well. It'll be an exciting weekend in Vegas and we'll go on to Pomona and crown some champs."

#14 ·
Pro Stock qualifying round 1.

LAS VEGAS - LAS VEGAS 2 - Notes from round 1 qualifying in Pro Stock at the NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series, 14th annual NHRA Toyota Nationals listing lane, driver name, elapsed time, top speed, and position in order following run:

Left Lane: Jeff Isbell Runs 6.944/196.56, Now #1
Right Lane: Steve Schmidt Runs 16.999/40.88, Now #2

Weather conditions: air temperature 83 degrees, relative humidity 25 percent, barometer 27.71 inches, adjusted altitude 4,529 feet, track temperature 105 degrees.
Isbell is making his Pro Stock debut. Isbell with a real nice pass, straight down the groove. Schmidt with violent tire shake right at the hit and clicked it off.

Left Lane: Aaron Stanfield Runs 6.746/204.54, Now #1
Right Lane: Deric Kramer Runs 16.758/32.44, Now #3

Stanfield with a good clean pass, straight down the groove. Aaron Stanfield's incremental times: 60ft-1.006 sec., 330ft-2.821, 660ft-4.336/162.18 mph, 1,000ft-5.643. Kramer with violent tire shake and clicked it off.

Left Lane: Matt Hartford No Time, Now #6
Right Lane: Rodger Brogdon Runs 6.670/207.15, Now #1

Hartford can't get the car to start. Brogdon launched hard and was stright down the groove. Rodger Brogdon's incremental times: 60ft-1.003 sec., 330ft-2.797, 660ft-4.291/164.67 mph, 1,000ft-5.581.

Left Lane: Larry Morgan Runs 6.731/205.38, Now #3
Right Lane: Greg Anderson Runs 6.684/207.02, Now #2

Morgan with a good pass to start the weekend. Larry Morgan's incremental times: 60ft-1.005 sec., 330ft-2.820, 660ft-4.330/162.78 mph, 1,000ft-5.633. Anderson is straight down the groove with a nice pass. Greg Anderson's incremental times: 60ft-1.000 sec., 330ft-2.801, 660ft-4.302/164.07 mph, 1,000ft-5.594.

Left Lane: Chris McGaha Runs 6.692/206.86, Now #3
Right Lane: V. Gaines Runs 6.696/207.85, Now #4

A couple good clean passes for both cars...Chris McGaha's incremental times: 60ft-0.995 sec., 330ft-2.806, 660ft-4.308/163.97 mph, 1,000ft-5.601.
V. Gaines' incremental times: 60ft-1.020 sec., 330ft-2.822, 660ft-4.320/164.25 mph, 1,000ft-5.610.

Left Lane: Jeg Coughlin Runs 6.658/207.21, Now #1
Right Lane: Jonathan Gray Runs 6.685/207.24, Now #4

Coughlin launched hard and was straight down the groove with a nice pass to go to the top of the list. Jeg Coughlin's incremental times: 60ft-0.992 sec., 330ft-2.785, 660ft-4.282/164.45 mph, 1,000ft-5.571. Gray with a good pass to get into the top half of the show. Jonathan Gray's incremental times: 60ft-1.009 sec., 330ft-2.806, 660ft-4.305/164.31 mph, 1,000ft-5.596.

Left Lane: Vincent Nobile Runs 6.697/206.92, Now #8
Right Lane: Allen Johnson Runs 6.665/207.59, Now #2

Nobile with a good pass...Vincent Nobile's incremental times: 60ft-1.003 sec., 330ft-2.809, 660ft-4.313/163.43 mph, 1,000ft-5.607. Johnson launched hard and goes to the number two spot right behind his teammate. Allen Johnson's incremental times: 60ft-0.997 sec., 330ft-2.793, 660ft-4.289/164.51 mph, 1,000ft-5.578.

Left Lane: Shane Gray Runs 6.663/207.62, Now #3
Right Lane: Dave Connolly Runs 6.655/207.30, Now #1

Order for Qualifying Round 1
LAS VEGAS - FastNews Network - Order after one round of qualifying in Pro Stock at the NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series, 14th annual NHRA Toyota Nationals:
Psn Driver Vehicle ET Speed
1. Dave Connolly Charter Camaro 6.655 207.30
2. Jeg Coughlin JEGS.com/Mopar Dart 6.658 207.21
3. Erica Enders-Stevens Elite Motorsports Camaro 6.659 207.98
4. Shane Gray Gray Manufacturing Camaro 6.663 207.62
5. Jason Line Summit Racing Equipment Camaro 6.665 207.75
6. Allen Johnson Team Mopar Dart 6.665 207.59
7. Rodger Brogdon Owens Corning Camaro 6.670 207.15
8. Greg Anderson Summit Racing Equipment Camaro 6.684 207.02
9. Jonathan Gray Gray Motorsports Camaro 6.685 207.24
10. Chris McGaha Harlow Sammons of Odessa Camar 6.692 206.86
11. V. Gaines Kendall Oil Avenger 6.696 207.85
12. Vincent Nobile Mountain View Tire Camaro 6.697 206.92
--------- Not Qualified ---------
13. Larry Morgan Lucas Oil Mustang 6.731 205.38
14. Aaron Stanfield CTech Camaro 6.746 204.54
15. Jeff Isbell Sun Litho Camaro 6.944 196.56
16. Deric Kramer American Ethanol/Madcap/Novo A 16.758 32.44
17. Steve Schmidt Steve Schmidt Competition Coba 16.999 40.88

#15 ·
Funny car Qualifying round 1

Results for Qualifying Round 1
LAS VEGAS - LAS VEGAS 2 - Notes from round 1 qualifying in Funny Car at the NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series, 14th annual NHRA Toyota Nationals listing lane, driver name, elapsed time, top speed, and position in order following run:

Right Lane: Jon Capps Runs 5.042/165.42, Now #1

1:52 p.m. Weather conditions: air temperature 86 degrees, relative humidity 24 percent, barometer 27.68 inches, adjusted altitude 4,859 feet, track temperature 106 degrees.
Capps gets out of the groove early in the run, makes a move toward the wall and backs off the throttle.

Left Lane: John Bojec Runs 5.203/149.78, Now #2
Right Lane: Paul Lee Runs 7.324/85.89, Now #3

Left Lane: Terry Haddock Runs 4.309/284.33, Now #1
Right Lane: Jeff Diehl No Time, Now #5

Left Lane: Tony Pedregon Runs 4.192/278.98, Now #1
Right Lane: Jeff Arend Runs 5.865/116.29, Now #5

Arend gets about 300 feet out, hazes the tires and backs off the throttle. Pedregon goes right down the groove with a full pass to take the pole for now.

Left Lane: Bob Tasca III Runs 7.576/77.90, Now #8
Right Lane: Jack Beckman Runs 4.143/309.27, Now #1

Jimmy Prock has joined Jack beckman's team here in Las Vegas. He left John Force on Oct. 23rd and was hired by DSR the same day.
Beckman goes right down the groove with a full pass to take the top spot for now. Tasca had problems early in the run and backed off the throttle.

Left Lane: Cruz Pedregon Runs 4.164/294.05, Now #2
Right Lane: Tim Wilkerson Runs 5.022/156.01, Now #5

Left Lane: Del Worsham Runs 4.127/308.57, Now #2
Right Lane: Ron Capps Runs 4.121/311.34, Now #1

Left Lane: Alexis DeJoria Runs 4.175/286.32, Now #6
Right Lane: Robert Hight Runs 4.155/306.81, Now #4

Left Lane: T. Johnson Jr. Runs 6.196/105.55, Now #14
Right Lane: Courtney Force Runs 4.160/309.13, Now #5

Friday
Order for Qualifying Round 1
LAS VEGAS - FastNews Network - Order after one round of qualifying in Funny Car at the NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series, 14th annual NHRA Toyota Nationals:
1. Ron Capps NAPA Auto Parts Charger 4.121 311.34
2. Del Worsham DHL Camry 4.127 308.57
3. Matt Hagan Mopar/Rocky Boots Charger 4.140 311.13
4. Jack Beckman Valvoline Max Life/MTS Charger 4.143 309.27

5. John Force Castrol GTX High Mileage Musta 4.152 304.74
6. Robert Hight Auto Club Mustang 4.155 306.81
7. Courtney Force Traxxas Mustang 4.160 309.13
8. Cruz Pedregon Snap-on Tools Camry 4.164 294.05
9. Alexis DeJoria Patron XO Cafe Camry 4.175 286.32
10. Tony Pedregon Micro Strategies Camry 4.192 278.98
11. Terry Haddock Patriot Grading Solara 4.309 284.33
12. Tim Wilkerson Levi, Ray & Shoup Mustang 5.022 156.01
13. Jon Capps Bucky's Auto Service Centers I 5.042 165.42
14. John Bojec Speed City Toyota 5.203 149.78
15. Jeff Arend Grimeboss Charger 5.865 116.29
16. Tommy Johnson Jr. Make-A-Wish Charger 6.196 105.55
17. Paul Lee McLeod Racing Charger 7.324 85.89

18. Bob Tasca III Motorcraft/Quick Lane Mustang 7.576 77.90

#16 ·
Pro stock qualifying round 2

Friday
Results for Qualifying Round 2
LAS VEGAS - LAS VEGAS 2 - Notes from round 2 qualifying in Pro Stock at the NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series, 14th annual NHRA Toyota Nationals listing lane, driver name, elapsed time/top speed this round, position in order following run, best prior elapsed time/speed, and position in order prior to run:

Left Lane: Steve Schmidt Runs 6.930/199.64, Now #16
Best prior run: 16.999/40.88, Was #17
Right Lane: Matt Hartford Runs 6.698/206.32, Now #13
No Prior Run

Weather conditions: air temperature 84 degrees, relative humidity 26 percent, barometer 27.61 inches, adjusted altitude 4,780 feet, track temperature 93 degrees.
Schmidt makes a full pass, but not quick enough to get in the show. The word is Hartford had a blown fuse in round one that keep the car from starting lin round one. He makes a good pass, but just misses getling in the show. Matt Hartford's incremental times: 60ft-1.005 sec., 330ft-2.808, 660ft-4.312/163.75 mph, 1,000ft-5.607.

Left Lane: Deric Kramer Runs 6.794/203.31, Now #16
Best prior run: 16.758/32.44, Was #18

Kramer is out of the groove right at the hit, but reels it in, but will not get in the show.

Left Lane: V. Gaines Runs 6.699/207.56, Now #11
Best prior run: 6.696/207.85, Was #11

Right Lane: Aaron Stanfield Runs 6.756/204.79, Now #15
Best prior run: 6.746/204.54, Was #15

Gaines slows from his earlier pass and will stay in the number 11 spot. V. Gaines' incremental times: 60ft-1.030 sec., 330ft-2.830, 660ft-4.326/164.65 mph, 1,000ft-5.613. Stanfield slows from his earlier pass today and he will not get in the show.

Left Lane: Jonathan Gray Runs 6.676/207.43, Now #8
Best prior run: 6.685/207.24, Was #9
Right Lane: Larry Morgan Runs 6.740/205.32, Now #14
Best prior run: 6.731/205.38, Was #14

Gray improves on his pass from earlier today and moves up the ladder one spot. Jonathan Gray's incremental times: 60ft-1.004 sec., 330ft-2.801, 660ft-4.299/164.29 mph, 1,000ft-5.589. No help here for Morgan

Left Lane: Greg Anderson Runs 6.671/207.46, Now #9
Best prior run: 6.684/207.02, Was #9
Right Lane: Vincent Nobile Runs 6.667/206.76, Now #7
Best prior run: 6.697/206.92, Was #12

Anderson improves on his pass from earlier today, but will stay in the number nine spot. Greg Anderson's incremental times: 60ft-0.999 sec., 330ft-2.798, 660ft-4.296/164.45 mph, 1,000ft-5.585.
Nobile with a great looking pass to move off the bubble. Vincent Nobile's incremental times: 60ft-0.989 sec., 330ft-2.786, 660ft-4.286/163.99 mph, 1,000ft-5.578.

Left Lane: Rodger Brogdon Runs 6.705/206.54, Now #8
Best prior run: 6.670/207.15, Was #8
Right Lane: Chris McGaha Runs 6.683/206.42, Now #11
Best prior run: 6.692/206.86, Was #11

No help here for Brogdon and he will stay in the number eight spot. McGaha improves, but will stay in the number 11 spot. Chris McGaha's incremental times: 60ft-0.994 sec., 330ft-2.796, 660ft-4.299/163.89 mph, 1,000ft-5.593.

Left Lane: Allen Johnson Runs 6.659/207.02, Now #4
Best prior run: 6.665/207.59, Was #6

Right Lane: Shane Gray Runs 6.662/207.37, Now #5
Best prior run: 6.663/207.62, Was #4

Johnson launched hard and keep it hooked up to tie Enders-Stevens' E.T. but will give up the position based on his slower speed. Allen Johnson's incremental times: 60ft-0.992 sec., 330ft-2.783, 660ft-4.281/164.17 mph, 1,000ft-5.571. Gray improves, but is bumped back one spot by Johnson. Shane Gray's incremental times: 60ft-0.997 sec., 330ft-2.789, 660ft-4.285/164.43 mph, 1,000ft-5.575.

Left Lane: Jason Line Runs 6.655/207.59, Now #2
Best prior run: 6.665/207.75, Was #6
Right Lane: E. Enders-StevensRuns 6.647/208.01, Now #1
Best prior run: 6.659/207.98, Was #3

This was a great side-by-side drag race by the number one and two in the points. Line had the quicker short time, but Enders-Stevens had the better top end. Line goes to the number two spot. Jason Line's incremental times: 60ft-0.992 sec., 330ft-2.786, 660ft-4.282/164.49 mph, 1,000ft-5.570. Enders-Stevens goes to the number one spot. Erica Enders-Stevens' incremental times: 60ft-1.004 sec., 330ft-2.791, 660ft-4.280/165.19 mph, 1,000ft-5.564.

Left Lane: Dave Connolly Runs 6.668/207.72, Now #4
Best prior run: 6.655/207.30, Was #3
Right Lane: Jeg Coughlin Runs 6.653/207.69, Now #2
Best prior run: 6.658/207.21, Was #4

Connolly with another good looking pass, but will not improve. Dave Connolly's incremental times: 60ft-1.003 sec., 330ft-2.802, 660ft-4.296/164.61 mph, 1,000ft-5.583. Coughlin launched hard and keep it hooked up to go to the number three spot. Jeg Coughlin's incremental times: 60ft-0.995 sec., 330ft-2.786, 660ft-4.281/164.65 mph, 1,000ft-5.568.

Friday
Order for Qualifying Round 2
LAS VEGAS - FastNews Network - Order after 2 rounds of qualifying in Pro Stock at the NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series, 14th annual NHRA Toyota Nationals:
1. Erica Enders-Stevens Elite Motorsports Camaro 6.647 208.01
2. Jeg Coughlin JEGS.com/Mopar Dart 6.653 207.69
3. Jason Line Summit Racing Equipment Camaro 6.655 207.75
4. Dave Connolly Charter Camaro 6.655 207.72
5. Allen Johnson Team Mopar Dart 6.659 207.59
6. Shane Gray Gray Manufacturing Camaro 6.662 207.62
7. Vincent Nobile Mountain View Tire Camaro 6.667 206.92
8. Rodger Brogdon Owens Corning Camaro 6.670 207.15
9. Greg Anderson Summit Racing Equipment Camaro 6.671 207.46
10. Jonathan Gray Gray Motorsports Camaro 6.676 207.43
11. Chris McGaha Harlow Sammons of Odessa Camar 6.683 206.86
12. V. Gaines Kendall Oil Avenger 6.696 207.85
13. Matt Hartford Total Seal/Nitro Fish Avenger 6.698 206.32
14. Larry Morgan Lucas Oil Mustang 6.731 205.38
15. Aaron Stanfield CTech Camaro 6.746 204.79
16. Deric Kramer American Ethanol/Madcap/Novo A 6.794 203.31
17. Steve Schmidt Steve Schmidt Competition Coba 6.930 199.64
18. Jeff Isbell Sun Litho Camaro 6.944 196.56

#17 ·
Funny car qualifying round 2

Results for Qualifying Round 2
LAS VEGAS - LAS VEGAS 2 - Notes from round 2 qualifying in Funny Car at the NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series, 14th annual NHRA Toyota Nationals listing lane, driver name, elapsed time/top speed this round, position in order following run, best prior elapsed time/speed, and position in order prior to run:

Left Lane: Jeff Diehl Runs 4.536/199.58, Now #12
No Prior Run

Left Lane: Paul Lee Runs 4.273/279.73, Now #12
Best prior run: 7.324/85.89, Was #18

Right Lane: Bob Tasca III Runs 4.147/306.88, Now #5
Best prior run: 7.576/77.90, Was #19

Left Lane: Jeff Arend Runs 4.145/290.69, Now #6
Best prior run: 5.865/116.29, Was #18
Right Lane: T. Johnson Jr. Runs 4.065/311.41, Now #1
Best prior run: 6.196/105.55, Was #19

Both Arend and Johnson had traction problems about 300 feet out in the first round.
No problems for Johnson here, right down the groove with the quickest pass of the day so far to move into the top spot for now. Arend made a decent pass but was falling behind all the way through the run.

Left Lane: Jon Capps Runs 4.790/194.72, Now #18
Best prior run: 5.042/165.42, Was #18

Right Lane: John Bojec Runs 4.415/232.51, Now #16
Best prior run: 5.203/149.78, Was #19

Left Lane: Tim Wilkerson Runs 4.122/310.55, Now #3
Best prior run: 5.022/156.01, Was #19

Left Lane: Courtney Force Runs 4.790/169.72, Now #11
Best prior run: 4.160/309.13, Was #11
Right Lane: Tony Pedregon Runs 4.304/257.87, Now #14
Best prior run: 4.192/278.98, Was #14

Left Lane: Robert Hight Runs 4.089/316.52, Now #3
Best prior run: 4.155/306.81, Was #10
Right Lane: Alexis DeJoria Runs 4.076/308.35, Now #2
Best prior run: 4.175/286.32, Was #13

Left Lane: Jack Beckman Runs 4.045/318.84, Now #1
Best prior run: 4.143/309.27, Was #8

Right Lane: Cruz Pedregon Runs 4.200/282.72, Now #13
Best prior run: 4.164/294.05, Was #13

Beckman makes an impressive pass, the quickest of the day so far, and he takes the pole for now. Pedregon slows from his earlier attempt.

Left Lane: Matt Hagan Runs 4.044/318.02, Now #2
Best prior run: 4.140/311.13, Was #8

Right Lane: John Force Runs 4.039/318.54, Now #1
Best prior run: 4.152/304.74, Was #11

Force goes right down the groove with an impressive pass to take the top spot for now. Hagan is right behind and gets into the second spot.
Left Lane: Ron Capps Runs 4.058/318.62, Now #4
Best prior run: 4.121/311.34, Was #7

Right Lane: Del Worsham Runs 4.090/311.13, Now #8
Best prior run: 4.127/308.57, Was #9

Friday
Order for Qualifying Round 2
LAS VEGAS - FastNews Network - Order after 2 rounds of qualifying in Funny Car at the NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series, 14th annual NHRA Toyota Nationals:

1. John Force Castrol GTX High Mileage Musta 4.039 318.54
2. Matt Hagan Mopar/Rocky Boots Charger 4.044 318.02
3. Jack Beckman Valvoline Max Life/MTS Charger 4.045 318.84
4. Ron Capps NAPA Auto Parts Charger 4.058 318.62
5. Tommy Johnson Jr. Make-A-Wish Charger 4.065 311.41

6. Alexis DeJoria Patron XO Cafe Camry 4.076 308.35
7. Robert Hight Auto Club Mustang 4.089 316.52
8. Del Worsham DHL Camry 4.090 311.13
9. Tim Wilkerson Levi, Ray & Shoup Mustang 4.122 310.55
10. Jeff Arend Grimeboss Charger 4.145 290.69
11. Bob Tasca III Motorcraft/Quick Lane Mustang 4.147 306.88
12. Courtney Force Traxxas Mustang 4.160 309.13
13. Cruz Pedregon Snap-on Tools Camry 4.164 294.05
14. Tony Pedregon Micro Strategies Camry 4.192 278.98
15. Paul Lee McLeod Racing Charger 4.273 279.73
16. Terry Haddock Patriot Grading Solara 4.309 284.33
17. John Bojec Speed City Toyota 4.415 232.51
18. Jeff Diehl Jeff Diehl Racing Solara 4.536 199.58
19. Jon Capps Bucky's Auto Service Centers I 4.790 194.72

#18 ·
Pro stock qualifying round 3

Results for Qualifying Round 3
LAS VEGAS - LAS VEGAS 2 - Notes from round 3 qualifying in Pro Stock at the NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series, 14th annual NHRA Toyota Nationals listing lane, driver name, elapsed time/top speed this round, position in order following run, best prior elapsed time/speed, and position in order prior to run:

Left Lane: Steve Schmidt Runs 9.051/100.77, Now #13
No Prior Run
Right Lane: Jeff Isbell Runs 19.141/26.67, Now #14
No Prior Run

Weather conditions: air temperature 70 degrees, relative humidity 32 percent, barometer 27.66 inches, adjusted altitude 3,773 feet, track temperature 93 degrees.
Schmidt starts to shake and clicks it off. Isbell with violent tire shake right at the hit and he clicked it off.

Left Lane: Deric Kramer Runs 8.982/105.21, Now #14
No Prior Run

Right Lane: Aaron Stanfield Runs 6.689/206.51, Now #12
No Prior Run

Kramer made a quick move toward the wall and reeled it back in before he clicked it off. Stanfield with his quickest pass of the weekend to go to the number 12 spot. Deric Kramer's incremental times: 60ft-1.006 sec., 330ft-2.854, 660ft-4.830/112.21 mph, 1,000ft-6.935.

Left Lane: Rodger Brogdon Runs 6.627/209.36, Now #1
Best prior run: 6.670/207.15, Was #8
Right Lane: Larry Morgan Runs 6.673/206.54, Now #10
No Prior Run

Left Lane: V. Gaines Runs 6.653/208.59, Now #4
Best prior run: 6.696/207.85, Was #14
Right Lane: Matt Hartford Runs 6.649/208.14, Now #3
No Prior Run

Gaines was straight down the groove to get into the top half of the show. V. Gaines' incremental times: 60ft-1.010 sec., 330ft-2.802, 660ft-4.291/165.29 mph, 1,000ft-5.573. Hartford with a great pass to go to the number three spot. Matt Hartford's incremental times: 60ft-0.996 sec., 330ft-2.789, 660ft-4.283/164.99 mph, 1,000ft-5.567

Left Lane: Jonathan Gray Runs 6.614/209.20, Now #1
Best prior run: 6.676/207.43, Was #13
Right Lane: Chris McGaha Runs 6.645/207.59, Now #3
Best prior run: 6.683/206.42, Was #14

Left Lane: Greg Anderson Runs 6.633/208.68, Now #4
Best prior run: 6.671/207.46, Was #13
Right Lane: Vincent Nobile Runs 6.618/208.55, Now #2
Best prior run: 6.667/206.76, Was #12

Left Lane: Dave Connolly Runs 6.629/208.78, Now #5
Best prior run: 6.655/207.30, Was #11
Right Lane: Shane Gray Runs 6.600/209.30, Now #1
Best prior run: 6.662/207.37, Was #13

Connolly with a big move to get into the top half of the show. Dave Connolly's incremental times: 60ft-0.993 sec., 330ft-2.785, 660ft-4.272/165.40 mph, 1,000ft-5.551. Gray launched hard and was straight down the groove to go to the number one spot. Shane Gray's incremental times: 60ft-0.981 sec., 330ft-2.760, 660ft-4.245/165.72 mph, 1,000ft-5.523

Left Lane: Allen Johnson Runs 6.605/209.10, Now #3
Best prior run: 6.659/207.02, Was #13
Right Lane: Jeg Coughlin Runs 6.597/209.20, Now #1
Best prior run: 6.653/207.69, Was #11

This was a great side-by-side drag race as coughlin goes to the number one spot and Johnson goes to the number three spot. Allen Johnson's incremental times: 60ft-0.989 sec., 330ft-2.769, 660ft-4.253/165.80 mph, 1,000ft-5.529.
Jeg Coughlin's incremental times: 60ft-0.982 sec., 330ft-2.760, 660ft-4.244/165.78 mph, 1,000ft-5.521.

Left Lane: Jason Line Runs 6.605/209.56, Now #4
Best prior run: 6.655/207.59, Was #13
Right Lane: E. Enders-StevensRuns 6.598/209.88, Now #2
Best prior run: 6.647/208.01, Was #10

Saturday
Order for Qualifying Round 3
LAS VEGAS - FastNews Network - Order after 3 rounds of qualifying in Pro Stock at the NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series, 14th annual NHRA Toyota Nationals:
1. Jeg Coughlin JEGS.com/Mopar Dart 6.597 209.20
2. Erica Enders-Stevens Elite Motorsports Camaro 6.598 209.88
3. Shane Gray Gray Manufacturing Camaro 6.600 209.30
4. Jason Line Summit Racing Equipment Camaro 6.605 209.56
5. Allen Johnson Team Mopar Dart 6.605 209.10
6. Jonathan Gray Gray Motorsports Camaro 6.614 209.20
7. Vincent Nobile Mountain View Tire Camaro 6.618 208.55
8. Rodger Brogdon Owens Corning Camaro 6.627 209.36
9. Dave Connolly Charter Camaro 6.629 208.78
10. Greg Anderson Summit Racing Equipment Camaro 6.633 208.68
11. Chris McGaha Harlow Sammons of Odessa Camar 6.645 207.59
12. Matt Hartford Total Seal/Nitro Fish Avenger 6.649 208.14
13. V. Gaines Kendall Oil Avenger 6.653 208.59

14. Larry Morgan Lucas Oil Mustang 6.673 206.54
15. Aaron Stanfield CTech Camaro 6.689 206.51
16. Deric Kramer American Ethanol/Madcap/Novo A 8.982 203.31
17. Steve Schmidt Steve Schmidt Competition Coba 9.051 199.64
18. Jeff Isbell Sun Litho Camaro 19.141 196.56

#19 ·
Funny car qualifying round 3

Results for Qualifying Round 3
LAS VEGAS - LAS VEGAS 2 - Notes from round 3 qualifying in Funny Car at the NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series, 14th annual NHRA Toyota Nationals listing lane, driver name, elapsed time/top speed this round, position in order following run, best prior elapsed time/speed, and position in order prior to run:

Left Lane: Jon Capps Runs 4.163/279.21, Now #13
No Prior Run

2:58 p.m. Weather conditions: air temperature 71 degrees, relative humidity 29 percent, barometer 27.66 inches, adjusted altitude 3,847 feet, track temperature 90 degrees.
Capps makes his quickest pass of the weekend and gets in the show for now.

Left Lane: Courtney Force Runs 4.024/320.66, Now #1
Best prior run: 4.160/309.13, Was #12
Right Lane: Terry Haddock Runs 4.290/294.69, Now #14
No Prior Run

Force goes right down the groove with the quickest pass of the weekend so far to take the top spot for now. Haddock was moving around in the middle of the run but was able to make his quickest pass of the weekend.
Left Lane: Jeff Diehl Runs 11.276/83.62, Now #16
No Prior Run
Right Lane: John Bojec Runs 4.960/168.96, Now #15
No Prior Run

Diehl goes up in smoke at the hit and has to give up on the run. Bojec got out of shape about 600 feet out and backed off the throttle.
Left Lane: Paul Lee Runs 4.151/301.40, Now #14
No Prior Run

Right Lane: Tony Pedregon Runs 4.131/305.42, Now #11
No Prior Run

Lee makes his quickest pass of the weekend and gets in the field in the 14th spot. Pedregon makes a good run to get in the field in the 11th spot for now.
Left Lane: Jeff Arend Runs 4.042/310.91, Now #3
Best prior run: 4.145/290.69, Was #12

Right Lane: Cruz Pedregon Runs 4.719/171.29, Now #17
No Prior Run

Pedregon gets about 600 feet out, hazes the tires and backs off the throttle. Arend goes right down the groove with his quickest pass of the year to move into the third spot for now.

Left Lane: Tim Wilkerson Runs 4.079/314.17, Now #9
Best prior run: 4.122/310.55, Was #11
Right Lane: Bob Tasca III Runs 4.105/308.78, Now #12
Best prior run: 4.147/306.88, Was #13

Wilkerson makes his quickest pass of the weekend and moves up to the ninth spot. tasca goes right down the groove and moves into the 12th spot.
Left Lane: Robert Hight Runs 7.848/81.87, Now #10
Best prior run: 4.089/316.52, Was #10
Right Lane: Del Worsham Runs 4.665/178.97, Now #11
Best prior run: 4.090/311.13, Was #11

Hight gets about 300 feet out, strikes the tires and aborts the run. Worsham gets a little further, about 600 feet, then loses traction and backs off the throttle.
Left Lane: Ron Capps Runs 4.037/322.34, Now #2
Best prior run: 4.058/318.62, Was #6

Right Lane: Alexis DeJoria Runs 6.650/99.44, Now #8
Best prior run: 4.076/308.35, Was #8

DeJoria gets about 300 feet out and goes up in smoke. Capps goes right down the groove and moves all the way to the second spot.

Left Lane: Jack Beckman Runs 4.080/313.07, Now #6
Best prior run: 4.045/318.84, Was #6
Right Lane: T. Johnson Jr. Runs 7.685/79.63, Now #7
Best prior run: 4.065/311.41, Was #7

Johnson gets about 300 feet out, hazes the tires and gives up on the run. Beckman makes a decent pass but doesn't improve.

Left Lane: Matt Hagan Runs 4.010/320.66, Now #1
Best prior run: 4.044/318.02, Was #5

Right Lane: John Force Runs 4.140/310.27, Now #4
Best prior run: 4.039/318.54, Was #3

Hagan makes an impressive pass, right down the groove with the quickest pass of the weekend, and he takes the pole to end this session and picks up another three points in the process. Force makes a clean pass but was falling behind at every marker.

Saturday
Order for Qualifying Round 3
LAS VEGAS - FastNews Network - Order after 3 rounds of qualifying in Funny Car at the NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series, 14th annual NHRA Toyota Nationals:
1. Matt Hagan Mopar/Rocky Boots Charger 4.010 320.66
2. Courtney Force Traxxas Mustang 4.024 320.66
3. Ron Capps NAPA Auto Parts Charger 4.037 322.34
4. John Force Castrol GTX High Mileage Musta 4.039 318.54
5. Jeff Arend Grimeboss Charger 4.042 310.91
6. Jack Beckman Valvoline Max Life/MTS Charger 4.045 318.84
7. Tommy Johnson Jr. Make-A-Wish Charger 4.065 311.41

8. Alexis DeJoria Patron XO Cafe Camry 4.076 308.35
9. Tim Wilkerson Levi, Ray & Shoup Mustang 4.079 314.17
10. Robert Hight Auto Club Mustang 4.089 316.52
11. Del Worsham DHL Camry 4.090 311.13
12. Bob Tasca III Motorcraft/Quick Lane Mustang 4.105 308.78
13. Tony Pedregon Micro Strategies Camry 4.131 305.42
14. Paul Lee McLeod Racing Charger 4.151 301.40
15. Jon Capps Bucky's Auto Service Centers I 4.163 279.21
16. Terry Haddock Patriot Grading Solara 4.290 294.69
17. Cruz Pedregon Snap-on Tools Camry 4.719 294.05
18. John Bojec Speed City Toyota 4.960 232.51
19. Jeff Diehl Jeff Diehl Racing Solara 11.276 199.58

#20 ·
Pro Stock qualifying round 4

Results for Qualifying Round 4
LAS VEGAS - LAS VEGAS 2 - Notes from final, round 4 qualifying in Pro Stock at the NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series, 14th annual NHRA Toyota Nationals listing lane, driver name, elapsed time/top speed this round, position in order following run, best prior elapsed time/speed, and position in order prior to run:

Left Lane: Jeff Isbell Runs 6.829/204.29, Now #16
Best prior run: 19.141/26.67, Was #18
Right Lane: Steve Schmidt Runs 6.843/202.48, Now #17
Best prior run: 9.051/100.77, Was #17

Weather conditions: air temperature 69 degrees, relative humidity 30 percent, barometer 27.66 inches, adjusted altitude 3,710 feet, track temperature 82 degrees.
Isbell with his quickest pass of the weekend to get in the show. Schmidt with his quickest pass of the weekend, but not enough to get in the show. Jeff Isbell's incremental times: 60ft-1.034 sec., 330ft-2.889, 660ft-4.417/161.59 mph, 1,000ft-5.726.

Left Lane: Aaron Stanfield Runs 6.670/206.57, Now #14
Best prior run: 6.689/206.51, Was #15
Right Lane: Deric Kramer Runs 7.308/161.96, Now #18
Best prior run: 8.982/105.21, Was #18

Stanfield with his quickest pass of the weekend to move up the ladder a couple spots. Kramer is out of the groove and reels it back in and then gets real loose and the car makes a quick move across the track and the car starts to roll. It rolls two times and the back side of the car gets up on the wall before it came back across the track and barrel rolled two and half more time landing on it's roof. Kramer is out of the car and talking with the officials.

Left Lane: Larry Morgan Runs 6.684/203.80, Now #15
Best prior run: 6.673/206.54, Was #15
Right Lane: V. Gaines Runs 6.702/187.36, Now #13
Best prior run: 6.653/208.59, Was #13

Morgan with a good pass, but will not improve. No help here for Gaines and will start Sunday from the number 13 spot.

Left Lane: Chris McGaha Runs 6.647/207.50, Now #11
Best prior run: 6.645/207.59, Was #11
Right Lane: Dave Connolly Runs 6.601/208.78, Now #4
Best prior run: 6.629/208.78, Was #9

MCGaha with another good looking pass, but will not improve. Chris McGaha's incremental times: 60ft-0.990 sec., 330ft-2.781, 660ft-4.275/164.57 mph, 1,000ft-5.562. Connolly with his quickest pass of the weekend to move up to the number four spot. Dave Connolly's incremental times: 60ft-0.978 sec., 330ft-2.760, 660ft-4.245/165.62 mph, 1,000ft-5.523.

Left Lane: Vincent Nobile Runs 6.616/208.65, Now #8
Best prior run: 6.618/208.55, Was #8
Right Lane: Rodger Brogdon Runs 6.627/207.62, Now #9
Best prior run: 6.627/209.36, Was #9

Nobile with his quickest pass of the weekend, but he will stay in the number eight spot. Vincent Nobile's incremental times: 60ft-0.983 sec., 330ft-2.771, 660ft-4.257/165.54 mph, 1,000ft-5.537. Brogdon ties his quickest pass of the weekend, but will stay in the number nine spot. Rodger Brogdon's incremental times: 60ft-0.985 sec., 330ft-2.770, 660ft-4.259/165.03 mph, 1,000ft-5.543.

Left Lane: Shane Gray Runs 6.596/208.97, Now #1
Best prior run: 6.600/209.30, Was #3
Right Lane: Jonathan Gray Runs 14.395/58.23, Now #7
Best prior run: 6.614/209.20, Was #7

It is the brothers here...Shane goes to the top of the list with his quickest pass of the weekend. Shane Gray's incremental times: 60ft-0.979 sec., 330ft-2.757, 660ft-4.240/165.68 mph, 1,000ft-5.519. Jonathan with a lot of tire shake and he clicks it off.

Left Lane: E. Enders-StevensRuns 6.576/209.75, Now #1
Best prior run: 6.598/209.88, Was #3
Right Lane: Allen Johnson Runs 6.614/208.65, Now #6
Best prior run: 6.605/209.10, Was #6

This is a great side-by-side drag race...Ender-Stevens with a great pass to go to the top of the list with both ends of the track record. Erica Enders-Stevens' incremental times: 60ft-0.985 sec., 330ft-2.753, 660ft-4.229/166.62 mph, 1,000ft-5.502.
Johnson with his quickest pass of the weekend, but he will not improve. Allen Johnson's incremental times: 60ft-0.990 sec., 330ft-2.773, 660ft-4.259/165.50 mph, 1,000ft-5.537.

Left Lane: Jeg Coughlin Runs 6.613/209.14, Now #3
Best prior run: 6.597/209.20, Was #3

Right Lane: Jason Line Runs 6.613/208.94, Now #5
Best prior run: 6.605/209.56, Was #5

A couple good looking passes, but neither driver improves. Jeg Coughlin's incremental times: 60ft-0.989 sec., 330ft-2.773, 660ft-4.257/165.60 mph, 1,000ft-5.535.

Jason Line's incremental times: 60ft-0.981 sec., 330ft-2.767, 660ft-4.255/165.58 mph, 1,000ft-5.535.
Right Lane: Greg Anderson Runs 7.011/161.40, Now #10
Best prior run: 6.633/208.68, Was #10

Anderson was up earlier, but was shut off after the burnout because of the Safety Safari wanting to do some track prep on the top end. He has a lot of tire shake and clicked it off.

Saturday
Order for Qualifying Round 4
LAS VEGAS - FastNews Network - Final order after 4 rounds of qualifying in Pro Stock at the NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series, 14th annual NHRA Toyota Nationals:
1. Erica Enders-Stevens Elite Motorsports Camaro 6.576@ 209.88&
2. Shane Gray Gray Manufacturing Camaro 6.596 209.30
3. Jeg Coughlin JEGS.com/Mopar Dart 6.597 209.20
4. Dave Connolly Charter Camaro 6.601 208.78
5. Jason Line Summit Racing Equipment Camaro 6.605 209.56
6. Allen Johnson Team Mopar Dart 6.605 209.10
7. Jonathan Gray Gray Motorsports Camaro 6.614 209.20
8. Vincent Nobile Mountain View Tire Camaro 6.616 208.65
9. Rodger Brogdon Owens Corning Camaro 6.627 209.36
10. Greg Anderson Summit Racing Equipment Camaro 6.633 208.68
11. Chris McGaha Harlow Sammons of Odessa Camar 6.645 207.59
12. Matt Hartford Total Seal/Nitro Fish Avenger 6.649 208.14
13. V. Gaines Kendall Oil Avenger 6.653 208.59

14. Aaron Stanfield CTech Camaro 6.670 206.57
15. Larry Morgan Lucas Oil Mustang 6.673 206.54
16. Jeff Isbell Sun Litho Camaro 6.829 204.29
17. Steve Schmidt Steve Schmidt Competition Coba 6.843 202.48
18. Deric Kramer American Ethanol/Madcap/Novo A 7.308 203.31
@ = Track ET Record

#21 ·
Funny car qualifying round 4

Results for Qualifying Round 4
LAS VEGAS - LAS VEGAS 2 - Notes from final, round 4 qualifying in Funny Car at the NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series, 14th annual NHRA Toyota Nationals listing lane, driver name, elapsed time/top speed this round, position in order following run, best prior elapsed time/speed, and position in order prior to run:

Left Lane: John Bojec Runs 7.380/83.09, Now #18
Best prior run: 4.960/168.96, Was #18
Right Lane: Jeff Diehl Runs 5.377/202.79, Now #19
Best prior run: 11.276/83.62, Was #19

6:02 p.m. Weather conditions: air temperature 68 degrees, relative humidity 30 percent, barometer 27.66 inches, adjusted altitude 3,637 feet, track temperature 76 degrees.
Bojec and Diehl both get about 300 feet out, strike the tires and back off the throttle. Diehl gets back on it, loses traction again, then backs off the throttle for good.

Left Lane: Cruz Pedregon Runs 13.065/59.54, Now #17
Best prior run: 4.719/171.29, Was #17
Right Lane: Jon Capps Runs 4.362/261.42, Now #15
Best prior run: 4.163/279.21, Was #15

Capps was on a pretty good run, started drifting to the right, then got close to the wall and had to click it off early. Pedregon had traction problems early. He will not qualify for the first time since Englishtown 2012.

Left Lane: Tony Pedregon Runs 10.887/81.06, Now #13
Best prior run: 4.131/305.42, Was #13
Right Lane: Robert Hight Runs 5.316/137.60, Now #10
Best prior run: 4.089/316.52, Was #10

Lee and Haddock were supposed to run before these two but Lee elected not to make a pass and Haddock fired the engine before the track was cleared and had to shut it down. His crew elected not to try to re-fire the engine and took the car back to the pits.
Pedregon goes up in smoke at the hit and quickly gives up on the run. Hight was on a decent run, then loses traction about 400 feet out. He backs off the throttle and gives up on the run.

Left Lane: Bob Tasca III Runs 4.061/313.58, Now #7
Best prior run: 4.105/308.78, Was #12
Right Lane: Tim Wilkerson Runs 6.686/95.60, Now #10
Best prior run: 4.079/314.17, Was #9

Wilkerson gets about 300 feet out and goes up in smoke. Tasca makes a good pass, header flames high and steady all the way through the run. He improves and moves up to the seventh spot for now.

Left Lane: Del Worsham Runs 4.850/165.68, Now #12
Best prior run: 4.090/311.13, Was #12
Right Lane: Jack Beckman Runs 4.076/290.94, Now #6
Best prior run: 4.045/318.84, Was #6

Worsham gets about 400 feet out, loses traction, then gives up on the run. Beckman was on a good run for the first 900 feet, then the car nosed over, not sure why.

Left Lane: Alexis DeJoria Runs 4.077/304.53, Now #9
Best prior run: 4.076/308.35, Was #9
Right Lane: Ron Capps Runs 6.811/92.51, Now #3
Best prior run: 4.037/322.34, Was #3

Capps gets about 200 feet out and goes up in smoke. DeJoria makes another good run almost equalling her time from earlier today.
Left Lane: T. Johnson Jr. Runs 5.132/146.61, Now #8
Best prior run: 4.065/311.41, Was #8

Right Lane: Courtney Force Runs 6.984/82.96, Now #2
Best prior run: 4.024/320.66, Was #2

Force gets about 200 feet out, overpowers the track and goes up in smoke. Johnson gets a little further, strikes the tires and has to give up on the run.
Left Lane: John Force Runs 4.022/320.66, Now #2
Best prior run: 4.039/318.54, Was #4
Right Lane: Matt Hagan Runs 3.983/322.42, Now #1
Best prior run: 4.010/320.66, Was #1

Hagan makes an impressive pass, going right down the groove for a career best and track record ET. Force made his quickest pass of the weekend and the second quickest of the round but was falling back all the way through the run.
John Force's incremental times: 60ft-0.893 sec., 330ft-2.308, 660ft-3.259/273.66 mph.
Matt Hagan's incremental times: 60ft-0.885 sec., 330ft-2.290, 660ft-3.226/276.63 mph.

Saturday
Order for Qualifying Round 4
LAS VEGAS - FastNews Network - Final order after 4 rounds of qualifying in Funny Car at the NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series, 14th annual NHRA Toyota Nationals:
1. Matt Hagan Mopar/Rocky Boots Charger 3.983@ 322.42
2. John Force Castrol GTX High Mileage Musta 4.022 320.66
3. Courtney Force Traxxas Mustang 4.024 320.66
4. Ron Capps NAPA Auto Parts Charger 4.037 322.34
5. Jeff Arend Grimeboss Charger 4.042 310.91
6. Jack Beckman Valvoline Max Life/MTS Charger 4.045 318.84

7. Bob Tasca III Motorcraft/Quick Lane Mustang 4.061 313.58
8. Tommy Johnson Jr. Make-A-Wish Charger 4.065 311.41
9. Alexis DeJoria Patron XO Cafe Camry 4.076 308.35
10. Tim Wilkerson Levi, Ray & Shoup Mustang 4.079 314.17
11. Robert Hight Auto Club Mustang 4.089 316.52
12. Del Worsham DHL Camry 4.090 311.13
13. Tony Pedregon Micro Strategies Camry 4.131 305.42
14. Paul Lee McLeod Racing Charger 4.151 301.40
15. Jon Capps Bucky's Auto Service Centers I 4.163 279.21
16. Terry Haddock Patriot Grading Solara 4.290 294.69
17. Cruz Pedregon Snap-on Tools Camry 4.719 294.05
18. John Bojec Speed City Toyota 4.960 232.51
19. Jeff Diehl Jeff Diehl Racing Solara 5.377 202.79

#22 ·
Pro stock elimination all rounds..

Sunday
Results for Elimination Round 1
LAS VEGAS - FastNews Network - Results of round 1 eliminations in Pro Stock at the NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series, 14th annual NHRA Toyota Nationals:
W/L Driver R-Time E-Time Speed

(W) Rodger Brogdon (Owens Corning Camaro) 3.634 NT-Broke After Staging
(L) Vincent Nobile (Mountain View Tire Camaro) -0.119(R) 6.857 163.95

Weather conditions: air temperature 68 degrees, relative humidity 34 percent, barometer 27.79 inches, adjusted altitude 3,495 feet, track temperature 94 degrees.
Nobile is 4 - 0 against Brogdon in prior events. Nobile goes red and gives Brogdon the win. Brogdon broke the engine on the burnout, but went ahead and staged it. Brogdon's car didn't move when the light turned green, but he still got the win.

(W) Greg Anderson (Summit Racing Equipment Cama 0.008 6.641 208.65
(L) Jonathan Gray (Gray Motorsports Camaro) 0.002 6.855 198.35

Greg Anderson's four wins at this event are the most for any Pro Stock driver. Greg hasn't won a race since Englishtown in 2012..Jonathan Gray has 19 round wins this year and that is more than any other rookie driver in any class this year. Gray is 2 - 1 against Anderson in prior events. Gray with a great light, but Anderson has the difference made up by the time they go by the Christmas tree and takes the win. Gray got loose on the top end.
(W) Allen Johnson (Team Mopar Dart) 0.077 6.608 208.65:D
(L) Chris McGaha (Harlow Sammons of Odessa Cama 0.142 6.635 208.01

Johnson is 5 - 1 against McGaha in prior events. Johnson with the starting line advantage and never trailed for the win. Allen Johnson's MOV: 0.0923 seconds (approximately 28 feet).

(W) Jason Line (Summit Racing Equipment Camaro) 0.033 6.609 208.71
(L) Matt Hartford (Total Seal/Nitro Fish Avenge 0.018 6.647 209.04

Jason Line is 8-3 in opening round matches at this event. Jason has been to the finals three times here but has never won this race. Hartford and Line have each won 2 times against the other in prior events. Hartford with the starting line advantage, but Line has the difference made up by the time they went by the Christmas tree. Line takes the win...Jason Line's MOV: 0.0236 seconds (approximately 7 feet).

(W) Dave Connolly (Charter Camaro) 0.042 6.601 209.07
(L) V. Gaines (Kendall Oil Avenger) 0.003 6.647 207.75

Connolly is 18 - 3 against Gaines in prior events. Gaines with a great light and the lead until around half track when Connolly was able to chase him down. Dave Connolly's MOV: 0.0077 seconds (approximately 2 feet). Connolly will have lane choice over Line in the next round by 0.008 seconds.

(W) Jeg Coughlin (JEGS.com/Mopar Dart) 0.029 6.596 208.91
(L) Aaron Stanfield (CTech Camaro) 0.018 6.670 206.76

Stanfield is 1 - 0 against Coughlin in prior events. Stanfield with the starting line advantage, but Coughlin has the difference made up by the 100 feet. Coughlin runs his quickest pass of the event and low E.T. of race day for the win. Coughlin will have lane choice over his teammate Johnson in round two.

(W) Erica Enders-Stevens (Elite Motorsports Cam 0.018 6.581 209.79
(L) Jeff Isbell (Sun Litho Camaro) 0.034 9.254 99.91

Jeff Isbell is making his first professional start today. He becomes the 436th driver to make a start in the Pro Stock class. Jeff won the spring race here in 2008 in the Top Alcohol Dragster class. Erica Enders-Stevens set both ends of the track record in qualifying. She is 19-1 in opening round matches this year. Enders-Stevens with the starting line advantage and never trailed as Isbell has problems and pushed in the clutch early. Enders-Stevens with the quickest pass of race day and she will have lane choice over Brogdon in the next round.

(W) Shane Gray (Gray Manufacturing Camaro) 0.082 6.592 209.20
(L) Larry Morgan (Lucas Oil Mustang) 0.017 7.137 161.88

Gray is 8 - 0 against Morgan in prior events. Morgan with the starting line advantage and then had a lot of tire shake, but drove through it, but Gray chased him down by 200 feet and took the win. Gray with his quickest pass of the weekend and the second quickest pass of race day for the win. Gray will have lane choice over Anderson in the next round.

Sunday
Results for Elimination Round 2
LAS VEGAS - FastNews Network - Results of round 2 eliminations in Pro Stock at the NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series, 14th annual NHRA Toyota Nationals:

(W) Jason Line (Summit Racing Equipment Camaro) 0.024 6.629 208.36
(L) Dave Connolly (Charter Camaro) 0.022 11.228 79.50

Weather conditions: air temperature 72 degrees, relative humidity 28 percent, barometer 27.75 inches, adjusted altitude 3,790 feet, track temperature 96 degrees.
Line is 21 - 14 against Connolly in prior events. They left together with Connolly getting the slight advantage, but then blew the rear tires off and the car was side ways before he pushed the clutch. Line was straight down the groove for the win.,

(W) Jeg Coughlin (JEGS.com/Mopar Dart) 0.004 6.626 208.14
(L) Allen Johnson (Team Mopar Dart) 0.013 13.414 62.82:oops:

Coughlin is 31 - 25 against Johnson in prior events. Coughlin with a great light and never trailed for the win as Johnson got real loose right off the starting line. Coughlin with a great pass for the win.

(W) Shane Gray (Gray Manufacturing Camaro) 0.044 6.611 208.26
(L) Greg Anderson (Summit Racing Equipment Cama 0.034 6.638 208.55

Anderson is 9 - 5 against Gray in prior events. Anderson with the starting line advantage, but Gray had the difference made up by the time they went by the Christmas tree and never trailed from there on. Shane Gray's MOV: 0.0171 seconds (approximately 5 feet). Gray will have lane choice over Coughlin in the semifinal.

(W) Erica Enders-Stevens (Elite Motorsports Cam 0.060 6.583 209.17
(L) Rodger Brogdon (Owens Corning Camaro) -0.011(R) 18.533 42.31

Enders-Stevens is 8 - 3 against Brogdon in prior events. Brogdon goes red and then is real loose and almost crosses the centerline. Enders-Stevens with the quickest pass of the round and will have lane choice over Line in the semifinal.

#23 ·
Funny Car rounds 1 & 2

Results for Elimination Round 1
LAS VEGAS - FastNews Network - Results of round 1 eliminations in Funny Car at the NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series, 14th annual NHRA Toyota Nationals:

(W) Del Worsham (DHL Camry) 0.075 4.110 309.63
(L) Jeff Arend (Grimeboss Charger) 0.075 12.355 71.81

11:50 a.m. Weather conditions: air temperature 68 degrees, relative humidity 35 percent, barometer 27.82 inches, adjusted altitude 3,493 feet, track temperature 94 degrees.
Worsham is 9 - 3 against Arend in prior events.

Arend hits the throttle and goes up in smoke instantly. Worsham goes right down the groove and moves on to the next round.

(W) Ron Capps (NAPA Auto Parts Charger) 0.081 4.145 313.00
(L) Tony Pedregon (Micro Strategies Camry) 0.061 10.046 82.35

Pedregon boils the hides right at the hit and had to give up on the run quickly. Capps goes right down the middle of the lane and takes the win.

(W) Paul Lee (McLeod Racing Charger) 0.091 4.118 306.88
(L) Courtney Force (Traxxas Mustang) 0.115 4.148 305.77

Force is 1 - 0 against Lee in prior events.
Courtney Force is the only member of the Force family (including John and Ashley) that Paul Lee has never beaten. This will be the 6th consecutive time that Paul has qualified and faced a member of the Force family in the first round.

Lee gets out of the gate first, then Force pulls even at the sixty foot mark. Lee starts pulling away, Force falls behind and Lee goes on for the win with his quickest pass of the weekend.

Paul Lee's incremental margins: 60ft(0.002), 330 ft(0.014), 660ft(0.043). MOV: 0.0548 seconds (approximately 25 feet).

(W) John Force (Castrol GTX High Mileage Mustan 0.073 4.085 318.54
(L) Jon Capps (Bucky's Auto Service Centers Imp 0.062 4.299 266.27

John Force has never faced Jon Capps who will be the 137th different driver that John has raced in eliminations.
Force is 41 points behind points leader Matt hagan and needs this win to keep his championship hopes alive.

Capps gets out of the gate first but Force reels him in quickly. Force pulls ahead at the sixty foot mark and makes the quickest pass of the round so far to take the win.

(W) Matt Hagan (Mopar/Rocky Boots Charger) 0.080 4.073 314.24
(L) Terry Haddock (Patriot Grading Solara) 0.150 12.197 80.07

Hagan is 1 - 0 against Haddock in prior events.
Hagan is 13-3 in round one when starting from the #1 spot.

This is Terry Haddock's 50th start including Top Fuel and Funny Car.

Haddock is last off the line, then goes up in smoke quickly. hagan goes right down the groove with the quickest pass of the round so far to take the win.

(W) Robert Hight (Auto Club Mustang) 0.070 4.091 315.64
(L) Jack Beckman (Valvoline Max Life/MTS Charge 0.083 4.210 268.22

Hight is 17 - 11 against Beckman in prior events.
Hight gets the advantage off the line and starts to pull away. Beckman stays close for the first sixty feet, then starts falling behind. Hight pulls away and takes the win.

(W) Tim Wilkerson (Levi, Ray & Shoup Mustang) 0.086 4.690 209.26
(L) Bob Tasca III (Motorcraft/Quick Lane Mustan 0.100 8.387 72.32

Wilkerson is 17 - 9 against Tasca III in prior events.
Tasca gets about 100 feet out and goes up in smoke. He pedals once or twice then gives up on the run. Wilkerson was pulling away quickly, then loses traction about 600 feet out and clicks it off. Wilkerson coasted through the lights for the win.

(W) Tommy Johnson Jr. (Make-A-Wish Charger) 0.095 4.104 310.70
(L) Alexis DeJoria (Patron XO Cafe Camry) 0.125 4.088 303.98

DeJoria and Johnson Jr. have each won 1 times against the other in prior events.
Johnson gets out of the gate first. DeJoria pulls even at the 660 foot mark, then Johnson starts pulling away again and hangs on for the holeshot win.

In the next round it will be Hagan with lane choice over Johnson, Worsham vs. Capps, John Force vs. Wilkerson, and Hight vs. Lee.

Sunday
Results for Elimination Round 2
LAS VEGAS - FastNews Network - Results of round 2 eliminations in Funny Car at the NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series, 14th annual NHRA Toyota Nationals:

(W) Del Worsham (DHL Camry) 0.108 4.092 315.19
(L) Ron Capps (NAPA Auto Parts Charger) 0.066 4.138 315.71

1:51 p.m. Weather conditions: air temperature 72 degrees, relative humidity 28 percent, barometer 27.75 inches, adjusted altitude 3,790 feet, track temperature 96 degrees.
Capps is 36 - 14 against Worsham in prior events.

Capps gets off the line first and stays in front to the 660 foot mark. Worsham reels him in and goes around him soon after that point and pulls away for the win.

Del Worsham's incremental margins (negative if behind): 60ft(-0.028), 330 ft(-0.022), 660ft(-0.003). MOV: 0.0046 seconds (approximately 2 feet).

(W) Robert Hight (Auto Club Mustang) 0.072 4.102 313.88
(L) Paul Lee (McLeod Racing Charger) 0.104 4.229 264.80

Lee and Hight have each won 2 times against the other in prior events.
Hight gets off the line first and starts to pull away. Lee was on a decent pass, then had problems late in the run and the car nosed over.

(W) John Force (Castrol GTX High Mileage Mustan 0.076 4.069 319.45
(L) Tim Wilkerson (Levi, Ray & Shoup Mustang) 0.091 4.144 308.00

Force is 31 - 14 against Wilkerson in prior events.
Force comes off the line first and starts pulling away. Wilkerson makes a decent pass, but Force runs low ET of eliminations so far and pulls away for the win.

(W) Matt Hagan (Mopar/Rocky Boots Charger) 0.075 4.064 314.09
(L) Tommy Johnson Jr. (Make-A-Wish Charger) 0.065 4.115 307.72

Johnson gets a small advantage off the line but Hagan had that advantage chewed up before they reached the sixty foot mark. Hagan goes on to run quick ET of the round and moves on to round three.
Matt Hagan's incremental margins (negative if behind): 60ft(0.011), 330 ft(0.020), 660ft(0.031). MOV: 0.0415 seconds (approximately 19 feet).

In the next round it will be Hagan with lane choice over Worsham and Force with lane choice over Hight.

#24 ·
pro stock eliminations round 3

Sunday
Results for Elimination Round 3
LAS VEGAS - FastNews Network - Results of round 3 eliminations in Pro Stock at the NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series, 14th annual NHRA Toyota Nationals:

(W) Jeg Coughlin (JEGS.com/Mopar Dart) 0.012 6.605 208.46
(L) Shane Gray (Gray Manufacturing Camaro) 0.030 6.647 208.26

Weather conditions: air temperature 73 degrees, relative humidity 29 percent, barometer 27.77 inches, adjusted altitude 3,884 feet, track temperature 96 degrees.
Coughlin is 9 - 4 against Gray in prior events. coughlin with the starting line advantage and never trailed for the win. Jeg Coughlin's MOV: 0.0605 seconds (approximately 18 feet).

(W) Erica Enders-Stevens (Elite Motorsports Cam 0.009 6.593 209.20
(L) Jason Line (Summit Racing Equipment Camaro) -0.003(R) 6.629 208.42

Line is 12 - 11 against Enders-Stevens in prior events. Line is just a few ticks too quick on the tree and turns on the red light. Enders-Stevens with the quickest pass of the round and she will have lane choice over Coughlin in the final.

#25 ·
Funny car eliminations round 3

Sunday
Results for Elimination Round 3
LAS VEGAS - FastNews Network - Results of round 3 eliminations in Funny Car at the NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series, 14th annual NHRA Toyota Nationals:

(W) John Force (Castrol GTX High Mileage Mustan 0.084 4.069 319.45
(L) Robert Hight (Auto Club Mustang) 0.072 4.130 312.93

3:15 p.m. Weather conditions: air temperature 73 degrees, relative humidity 29 percent, barometer 27.77 inches, adjusted altitude 3,884 feet, track temperature 96 degrees.
Force is 17 - 16 against Hight in prior events.

Hight gets off the line first, stays in front to the 330 foot mark, then Force reels him in and goes around for the win. Force runs the same ET and speed as he did in round two in the win.

John Force's incremental margins (negative if behind): 60ft(-0.019), 330 ft(0.004), 660ft(0.030). MOV: 0.0493 seconds (approximately 23 feet).

(W) Del Worsham (DHL Camry) 0.073 4.059 315.71
(L) Matt Hagan (Mopar/Rocky Boots Charger) 0.057 4.091 315.71

Hagan is leading Force by 41 points and will leave today with the points lead regardless of what happens here.
Hagan and Worsham have each won 4 times against the other in prior events.

Hagan gets out of the gate first and starts to pull away. Worsham starts to reel him in just past the sixty foot mark, drives around him just past the 330 foot mark, then runs low ET of eliminations for the upset win.

Del Worsham's incremental margins (negative if behind): 60ft(-0.034), 330 ft(-0.009), 660ft(0.011). MOV: 0.0167 seconds (approximately 8 feet).

Worsham will have lane choice over Force in the final round.

#26 ·
Pro stock Final

Sunday
Results for Final Round
LAS VEGAS - FastNews Network - Results of final, round 4 eliminations in Pro Stock at the NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series, 14th annual NHRA Toyota Nationals:

(W) Erica Enders-Stevens (Elite Motorsports Cam 0.007 6.587 209.36
(L) Jeg Coughlin (JEGS.com/Mopar Dart) 0.032 6.596 209.14

Weather conditions: air temperature 70 degrees, relative humidity 33 percent, barometer 27.79 inches, adjusted altitude 3,672 feet, track temperature 77 degrees.
Coughlin is 7 - 4 against Enders-Stevens in prior events and this is the first time they have faced each other in a final round. Enders-Stevens with a great light and another great pass to take the win. Erica Enders-Stevens' MOV: 0.0341 seconds (approximately 10 feet). Enders-Stevens with the win will move into the point lead by 17 points. This is her fifth National event Wally this year and the 11th in her career.

Funny car Final

LAS VEGAS - FastNews Network - Results of final, round 4 eliminations in Funny Car at the NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series, 14th annual NHRA Toyota Nationals:

(W) Del Worsham (DHL Camry) 0.074 4.064 318.39
(L) John Force (Castrol GTX High Mileage Mustan 0.044 4.104 321.42

4:40 p.m. Weather conditions: air temperature 70 degrees, relative humidity 33 percent, barometer 27.79 inches, adjusted altitude 3,672 feet, track temperature 77 degrees.
Force has a 141-94 record in final rounds, 3-7 this year. Worsham is 33-20 in final rounds, 0-2 this year.

Force is 49 - 23 against Worsham in prior events and each has won 6 times against the other in final rounds.

Force is in second place in the points, 21 behind Hagan.

Force gets out of the gate first. Worsham pulled in front by the time they reached the sixty foot mark and started pulling away. He continued to extend his lead to the 330 foot mark, then Force started making up ground. Force continued to gain through the rest of the run but soon ran out of race track. Worsham hangs on for the win, his first Funny Car win since Richmond in 2009.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.