AF: No FCA-PSA brands will die, per Tavares | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No FCA-PSA brands will die, per Tavares

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by AmbassadorSST, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

I think they’ve been pumping the brakes on new product in anticipation of forming a merger with someone. Moving forward, new product for Chrysler will most likely sort itself out (and the other brands too). Just my 2 cents.

2. LeeRyder

LeeRyder Well-Known Member

Ya, I saw that. But that was said after my reply.

I truly pray he's truthful.

3. valiant67

valiant67 ...

The "no brands will die after merger" has about the same credence as the "we don't plan any job cuts after the merger" (pick any merger, automotive or not, and you'll find this is almost universally said and later broken).

4. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Not always, but many times they paint the most optimistic picture possible so everybody goes along with the deal.

Astronomers know that when two galaxies begin to collide, it’s a beautiful and bright dance that’s a wonder to behold. Yet when they come closer, stars are inevitably flung out and things get ripped apart. It’s the nature of things. Much the same when mergers of corporations take place.

5. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Auto News reports today that upcoming Alfa Romeo 8C, Stelvio-based SUV and Giulietta will cease to exist to improve Alfa’s profitability: FCA axes Alfa Romeo’s planned sports cars as it shrinks brand's growth plans

According to AN:

After Alfa discontinued the slow-selling Mito small hatchback and low production 4C coupe and roadster, the brand’s lineup currently comprises three cars – the Giulia midsize sedan, Stelvio midsize crossover and the Giuletta compact hatchback.

FCA’s revised plan for Alfa means that a 700-plus hp 8C coupe and a 600-plus hp sports sedan that were intended to reboot the brand will not be built.

The Giulietta, which went on sale in 2010, could be discontinued as soon as next year, according to union sources in Italy.

Also axed are long wheel-base versions of the Giulia and Stelvio planned for the Chinese market.

...Manley’s strategy for Alfa Romeo is a reversal of a strategy unveiled in June 2018 to expand the brand’s lineup to seven models by 2022 and to increase annual sales to 400,000 by then.
    So there you have it: plan reversals are daily occurrences.

PS - Chrysler must be mightily profitable, then.

6. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

At least they talk about Alfa's future, unlike other brands.

Donte Lindsey, page2171 and aldo90731 like this.
  7. Adventurer55

Also depends on how well the parties got along before the merger as well. Daimler's crap is still on the minds of anyone associated with Chrysler, but at least the brands got product to sell. Now what they were given to sell may be up for debate.

Donte Lindsey and Zagnut27 like this.
  8. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

You mean like Plymouth? They got LOTS to sell, didn't they?

77 Monaco Brougham likes this.
  9. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Maybe they forgot they have other brands? Like I forget I have certain hockey jerseys in my closet. I’m sure that must be the case. :D

10. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

I mentioned this two weeks ago and was told by T_690 this wasn't true. I guess time will tell. I just hope the NA market gets new product soon.

77 Monaco Brougham likes this.
  11. pumadog

pumadog Well-Known Member

T_690 likes this.
  12. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Active Member

I just love a dose of sarcasm to start my day. Thanks Dave!:)

13. 77 Monaco Brougham

Sorta like that pair of bell-bottom jeans you have left over from 1973....the ones you can't fit into anyway?:D

Zagnut27 likes this.
  14. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

No electrified Stelvio and Giulia in the plans?

Andrea should better inform himself before he makes an article. MCA versions of Giulia and Stelvio will even offer an electrified Quadrifoglio versions. They will be P2 MHEV with more than 600 ponies. The same powertrain will be used for the next generation Maserati GranTurismo.

E-SUV is not canceled. It's frozen.

8C and GTV are not canceled or better said discarded. These projects were switched over to Maserati. And it has happened a year ago.

15. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

That’s only because they just moved Alfa Romeo from the window sill to the back corner.

From now on, I suspect we will hear about Alfa Romeo as often as we do about Lancia, Chrysler or Dodge.

ehaase, jclick and Adventurer55 like this.
  16. 77 Monaco Brougham

Is that US $0.02...or...€ 0.02 ? :D

Zagnut27 likes this.
  17. Adventurer55

Plymouth, unfortunately wasn't included and I should've mentioned that. My apologies.

18. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

That’s because Plymouth ain’t dead...!

:D

gforce2002 likes this.
  19. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Holding Daimler up as a good example rarely works...

They did not starve Chrysler or Dodge of product, but the product they allowed (outside of Ram and Jeep) was invariably either flawed or sabotaged.

LX: Interiors budget was minimal, five-speed was a money-generator for Mercedes, weird Mercedes steering columns were absurd in Gen1. 3.5 V6 was not seriously updated to cope with the added weight.

Sebring Convertible: switching from ASC to Karmann resulted in insanely poor quality, pricier tops and essentially killed the car

Sebring itself: moving to Mitsubishi platform and lousy WGE ended the car's long-running popularity

PT Cruiser: a real hit, even as a Chrysler (when it was designed as a Plymouth), which they then decontented each year until they could whittle sales down and reach their self-fulfilling prophecy that it was a flash in the pan. The real killer, IMHO, was getting rid of the “teardrop” headlights, though that might have been led by Auburn Hills/Trevor Creed. In any case, they also cheapened the interior for the second-gen.

Minivans: Dare I bring up the 2008 “let's cut costs” edition?

So sometimes “more product” is not what we need. Indeed, a group within Chrysler argued for less product back in the 1970s, so they could focus on building a smaller number of cars, but doing it better.

Meanwhile, in engines, we got the cheep WGE and a sudden stop on major improvements to the V6 engines. Yes, we also got the Hemi, which was great... so it wasn't universally awful. And yes, the five-speed was a major improvement over the four-speed and even six-speed Chrysler automatics, but the cost was more than Chrysler could have gotten for a similar automatic. Indeed, the eight-speed reportedly added very little to the sticker price over the five-speed.

And, as noted, Plymouth disappeared despite Gale’s plan to resurrect it; which I think we can say, based on the popularity of the PT, would have worked very well. Prowler, PT, then retro-Voyager, and who knows? Maybe an extended-wheelbase PT, instead of the Journey? Meanwhile Dodge would have gotten the Copperhead and been further down the muscle/sport road, and Chrysler would have been pushed up (instead of pulled down by the PT) with the Atlantic or some similar concept, and diverged from Dodge and Plymouth. He envisioned three very different brands and would have gotten them but for those meddling German kids.

So... Daimler is what we want to _avoid._

XRT2SRT, UN4GTBL, oruandy and 16 others like this.
  20. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

And with PSA and Carlos Tavares, that appears to be the case.