AF: No FCA-PSA brands will die, per Tavares | Page 4 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No FCA-PSA brands will die, per Tavares

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by AmbassadorSST, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

Dream on.

UN4GTBL and CivoLee like this.
  2. Chris mopar

Chris mopar Active Member

As sad as it was for Plymouth to die, I don’t think we should revive any of the dead brands, FCA and PSA together have plenty. I also do not see a need to drop any brands, many of these brands are regional and or nich and do not compete I do not know enough about the brands in the EU and other markets around the world, but I believe their are a lot of platforms and tech that can be shared across the brands, that’s what this merger is about. I do not think their is any room in the U.S. for any of the PSA brands at this time, but they do have some platforms we could use to fill out the Chrysler brand, not so much Dodge. I like where Dodge is at now and needs to stay rwd/awd and performance oriented for the foreseeable future. Just my thoughts from this armchair ceo.

UN4GTBL, Tony K, jclick and 1 other person like this.
  3. Matthew

Matthew Is pushing for progress!

The 9 speed is fine it had teething issues in 2014 model year and part way through the 2015 model year, then FCA got more control from ZF made quite a few software changes and some hardware changes. I have a 2019 Cherokee, it is buttery smooth, gets good MPG, and I have almost 19K on my Cherokee trouble free.

brewdad and Tony K like this.
  4. valiant67

valiant67 ...

No it is not fine for many people. I just got rid of my second 9 speed equipped vehicle that developed harsh shifts as the mileage started to accumulate (18k on one, 15k on the other). I am done with this transmission. They've been making this transmission for 6 years and there is no excuse for the way the two I had behaved. Yes, the more powerful engines tend to "hide" the flaws with this transmission. Hopefully it behaves better behind the 2.0T in the Cherokee than it did with the 2.4, and better behind the 1.3T in the Renegade than behind the 2.4. I never had a problem with the shifting in my 2014 Cherokee and that was supposedly the "bad" year. I will say outright failures of the 9 speed don't seem that common, but it's still not a well behaved transmission - even with software updates.

I won't ever spend another cent on a 9 speed equipped vehicle. It seldom gets positive reviews in any FCA product test and my personal experience is that 2 out of 3 of these transmissions performed poorly for me.

#64 valiant67, Nov 19, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    Citation84, UN4GTBL and gforce2002 like this.
  5. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

My comment came from direct experience with this transaxle. I rented a 2019 Cherokee. The trans was never happy in any gear. It hunted all the time, never made to 9th regardless how fast or how level the road was. Like I said the 8sp in my Charger rental was flawless, but this needs to go, or completely revamped and lose 9th since it's never used.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  6. kevin m. Henry

We've also been pleasantly surprised with the performance of my wife's 2019 Cherokee's transmission after hearing all the complaints about them. Ours shifts smoothly and performs well, although I will say that in the kind of driving we generally do it never sees 9th gear and actually seldom gets to 8th on the secondary roads around home.

7. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Yes - that's the problem. The 8 speed is pretty much consistently good. The 9 speed is still hit or miss.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  8. Adventurer55

I see Peugeot uses an Aisin 8sp. transaxle. Quite a few others use this as well. Has there been any feedback on it?

Donte Lindsey and valiant67 like this.
  9. valiant67

valiant67 ...

If Wikipedia is accurate, it seems fairly popular, and I haven't stumbled onto any terrible reviews of it (they could be out there, but I've never seen the trasnmission mentioned as a bad spot in any of the vehicles):
    AWF8F35 - Wikipedia (at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AWF8F35 )

10. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Not near as good as ZF 8HP.

Transmission for FWD transverse engine cars is always troublesome. Not smooth enough, not fast enough...
    If you ask me I would choose dual wet clutch for FWD.

11. Tin Man 2

Tin Man 2 Active Member

Guys, You can’t have it both ways, If a trans is smooth it is because it is set up with a soft engagement which means it slips just a bit as it shifts to a higher ratio, this causes wear. A trans set up tight will have noticeable shifts but it will last longer. I prefer a tight set up, I’ve also never had a trans problem in 50 years of driving mostly Mopar.

Tony K, saltydog and kevin m. Henry like this.
  12. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Then what would you call a 9 speed transmission that shifts between first and second (up abd down shifts) so hard it feels like another car has hit you? It's certainly not smooth and it's far more than noticeable.

The good thing about electronically controlled transmissions is they don't rely on hydraulic pressure to change gears so you don't have to slip to shift smoothly. I don't mind a firm shift, but I really detest a harsh shift.

13. serpens

serpens Well-Known Member

It's reliable, but it doesn't shift particularly fast or have the overall excellence of the ZF 8-speed. As T_690 mentioned, transmissions meant for FWD transverse applications are tough.

UN4GTBL and T_690 like this.
  14. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

You very much can have it both ways, jsut not with the current 9 speed. The dsg in my gti has been bar far the smoothest transmission in and fwd car i have been in, it also happens to be the fastest too.

15. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Your Golf has wet DCT.

16. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

Good luck with this. Punch Powertrain is now owned by the Chinese.

PRESS RELEASE
    Groupe PSA selects Punch Powertrain technology for its future electrified transmission systems
    •  Punch Powertrain has been selected to supply its newest generation of patented e-DCT systems by 2022, as part of Groupe PSA’s electrification push.

•  This electrified Dual Clutch Transmission - hybrid DT2 – with a 48V motor will equip Mild Hybrid Electric Vehicles.

•  The two companies are entering into discussions about manufacturing thetechnology at one of Groupe PSA’s plants and are exploring the possibility of extending the partnership.

Groupe PSA, engaged in the electrification shift

Groupe PSA has been actively accelerating its shift to electrified vehicles (Mild-hybrid (MHEV), Electric Vehicles (EV) and Plug-in Hybrid (PHEV)) with the aim of developing an electrified offering covering 100% of its range by 2025.

In this context, Groupe PSA’s decision to select Punch Powertrain as the supplier of its nextgeneration electrified transmission systems is highly strategic.

Best in class Dual Clutch Transmission

Groupe PSA’s main reason for cooperating with Punch Powertrain is to leverage its cutting- edge and patented dual clutch transmission design, which allows for fewer components, and hence a lighter and more compact transmission system. In addition, it delivers outstanding performance and a very favorable fuel economy at a competitive cost. The next generation of this design, with a 48V motor configuration, will be installed by Groupe PSA in its vehicles.

This DCT technology establishes a new reference point for all competing DCTs in the passenger car and light commercial vehicle segments, given its outstanding characteristics.

The agreement with Groupe PSA is a major step for Punch Powertrain and is in line with its strategic vision of becoming a global automotive supplier. To secure sustainable and continuous growth, the company has focused on two objectives: expanding its product portfolio and establishing a worldwide customer base in global markets.

With Groupe PSA as its first large European customer, Punch Powertrain is meeting its second objective: securing its position in Europe and expanding its global footprint.
    Rueil-Malmaison, May 7, 2018

T_690 likes this.
  17. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

@patfromigh

LOL

I forgot about that one. I do like P2 MHEV and DCT (if it's wet clutch type) but Punch is not a very well known firm in Europe.

18. Tin Man 2

Tin Man 2 Active Member

Our 2019 Compass shifts just fine, not to hard not to soft. Sorry yours has issues.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  19. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

Yes i know, but still the best fwd transmission i have ever driven. In fact the 9 speed is the worst transmission i have even had the pleasure to drive, yes even worse the dct

20. Adventurer55

After studying PSA and their offerings, I think one thing about Tavares will be a given. Once a plan is put forth and the various platforms, or architectures, are weeded out, whatever is left, most if not all brands will have access to them. He isn't like Sergio, where only certain brands were going to get only certain things.

saltydog likes this.