AF: No FCA-PSA brands will die, per Tavares | Page 6 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No FCA-PSA brands will die, per Tavares

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by AmbassadorSST, Nov 8, 2019.

1. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

No sporty SUV looks like a wagon although some of them looks like a hatchbacks. Usually wagons have longer rear overhangs and more vertical rear doors than hatchbacks.

Tony K and ScramFan like this.
  2. Powdered Toast Man

Powdered Toast Man Move along, nothing to see here

Exactly. Seems that the new norm is to take what would traditionally be called a hatchback or wagon, raise the suspension height just a bit and voila, it's a CUV

UN4GTBL and 77 Monaco Brougham like this.
  3. Powdered Toast Man

Nope, they won't die. They'll just eventually run out of vehicles to sell once their current models get too old to continue.

Citation84 likes this.
  4. gforce2002

gforce2002 Well-Known Member

Perhaps, just like people, it’s best to appreciate them for who/what they are rather than fitting them into some arbitrary category.

5. Citation84

Citation84 Well-Known Member

LOL. So true.

'And the puff went poof '. ["Who's' Afraid Of Virginia Woolf" .]

Like GM claiming they weren't going to just clone things to have them to sell in a segment statements. And here came the corporate carnival wag.... I mean SUVs that weren't SUVs but minivans, the G3, the Torment and Equinox and on and on.

Sure, we believe you, Tavares. Now sing "Heaven Must Be Missing An Angel".

6. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

His record speaks for itself.

KrisW and pumadog like this.
  7. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Active Member

#107 77 Monaco Brougham, Nov 27, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  8. FreeLantz

FreeLantz Well-Known Jeeper

They won't die immediately. Obviously in business everything is subject to change upon further review.

I truly want nothing more than to see the Chrysler brand revived and brought back to it's place as an American luxury alternative to Cadillac. Will it happen? Probably not.

9. Chris mopar

Chris mopar Active Member

Except for the Imperial the Chrysler brand was never a luxury alternative to Cadillac. Chrysler was always more of a Buick or Oldsmobile alternative. Buick in the USA has become mostly a urban suv brand phasing out their cars, I can see Chrysler doing something similar with people movers and urban SUV’s.

Adventurer55, Dave Z and Tony K like this.
  10. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Is Cadillac still a luxury brand? I guess, but it looks increasingly like a zombie brand that refuses to die.

Cadillac’s injuries are mostly self-inflicted. Meanwhile, watch Lincoln takeoff with newfound attractive styling and good old attention to detail. Like Lincoln, Chrysler —and Buick— can be revived without need to make it overly complicated. But two things are needed: (1) executive commitment, and (2) attractive new products.

11. Stéphane Dumas

Stéphane Dumas Well-Known Member

And add also good advertising campaign to the list.

aldo90731, Tony K and RogerDodger8508 like this.
  12. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

When the XJ Cherokee came out it was unlike the other downsized SUVs on the market at the time. Being unibody it offered superior ground clearance but also had a lower roof height. The vast majority of them were 2 wheel drive, 4 door models, even though it was a superior 4x4 too. It really was a downsized station wagon. It was a new smaller version of the un-truck like 1963 Wagoneer. That vehicle was marketed as having more civilized on road manners while still being a truck.
    18 years of XJ production that proves that a vehicle that stresses utility, capability and practicality (station wagon) can sell if done right.
    No, no new vehicle could ever last 18 years almost unchanged.
    What I am saying is that almost no automaker since the XJ has designed for the types of strengths it had, utility, capability, practicality.
    All three of those things have suffered, been compromised, because of 'station wagon' stigma.

So they try to go 'coupe like' styling on CUVs and many SUVs to avoid being thought of as having a vehicle where usefulness comes first.

AvengerGuy, BASONE88 and Dave Z like this.
  13. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

14. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Well-Known Member

Agreed.

For the record, I love wagons.

15. Powdered Toast Man

Exactly. I said it earlier but the brands need active interest and investment to continue. Saying "No brands will die" is like saying they won't take them out back and shoot them. But there's nothing in the pipeline and that's concerning given the age of the current models. And yes I know, "new Charger/Challenger" but as we all know from the Chrysler example, one vehicle does not make a vital and healthy brand.

page2171 likes this.
  16. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

If GM would have offered the USA the Cruze wagon rather than the hatchback it might have replaced our 09 Malibu, even with its cargo robbing sloped roof.
    Dang tiny trunk openings due to 'coupe like' styling is a pain. Many things have to go in the back seat even though trunk size is large enough. It's just the opening that sucks.
    *Only reason we bought the Malibu was the Daimler era mid sizes from Dodge and Chrysler weren't up to snuff.
    I have such love for XJ Cherokee's in part because it is a truck station wagon, compared to the BOF SUVs it competed against.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  17. HoboChangba

HoboChangba Active Member

aldo90731 said:
    Meanwhile, watch Lincoln takeoff with newfound attractive styling and good old attention to detail.

I thought Lincoln is doing a hail mary here. Abandoning cars for trucks / suv's. They're trying to stay in business by contraction. Factor in their build problems with their signature vehicles and I think they are in a world of hurt. They have some real problems there.

77 Monaco Brougham likes this.
  18. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Active Member

If Cadillac is failing in its attempt to out-German the Germans, and if Lincoln is struggling trying to serve up traditional American luxury in its truck / suv offerings...then where does this leave Chrysler in regard to market positioning?

AlfaCuda and Tony K like this.
  19. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

20. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

HotCarNut and aldo90731 like this.