AF: No FCA-PSA brands will die, per Tavares | Page 8 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No FCA-PSA brands will die, per Tavares

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by AmbassadorSST, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Stéphane Dumas

Stéphane Dumas Well-Known Member

And that's why some of their recent automatic transmissions was made in joint-venture with GM. ;)

2. valiant67

valiant67 ...

This is why FCA is lucky they didn't sell many Fiat 500Ls and that Dart wasn't a strong seller either.
    The FCA DDCT design was bad (at least as it was programmed for the US), but FCA sold way fewer examples than Ford so the pool of people with a bad transmission was smaller.

tlc and gforce2002 like this.
  3. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

The FCA DDCT design wasn't great, but it was a far better transmission than the Ford. It COULD make it a long distance, mostly people just didn't like it. No reports I know of, of the DDCT stalling out or going into neutral without warning. Just "it doesn't feel good."

Tony K and djsamuel like this.
  4. valiant67

valiant67 ...

You never saw any of my posts about my 500L DDCT clutches going up in a ball of smoke and refusing to move until it cooled off?
    This happened three times in traffic to me in less than 3200 miles. Research showed it was a common defect (overheating) of the Fiat DDCT. I went back to the dealer with all this info and they quickly agreed to take the car back with a trade assistance credit from FCA. The dealer put a new clutch assembly in (~8 hours labor plus the cost of the clutch assembly). The bill had to be terrible.

The sad part is there is a mechanism built into the transmission to warn it was overheating (based on a software calculation, not an actual measurement). Most people that had an overheated DDCT never saw the warning light, while others having no issue had the warning light come on at random times.

tlc and Doug D like this.
  5. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

Nope. And you are one person.

AlfaCuda likes this.
  6. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Like I said, I researched this a good bit and found the Fiat DDCT to be troublesome, more so to people in cities than those who avoided traffic congestion. I was lucky - my dealer got me out of the car. Others Fiat (and Dart) owners weren't so lucky. Fortunately FCA dropped the DDCT quickly.

tlc likes this.
  7. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

Ford...made rubbish transmissions? Do tell?

8. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Ford offered a DDCT transmission.
    I have yet to find a manufacturer that had good results with a DDCT in small cars in North America.
    Ford's big mistake was making far more of them over more years than others. They should have followed FCA's lead in pulling the DCCT from the market here.

tlc likes this.
  9. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Any good DWCT?

10. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

Well, I was thinking more of my cousin's 80s F150, but yeah, DDCTs haven't been really popular in NA. BTW, he replaced said F150 with a new 97 Ram 1500 4x4 that he still has as a farm truck. His nice truck is a 15 or 16 Ram 2500. He and my Dad ordered almost identical 2500 gas standard cabs back in 15. Dad's old farm truck is a 1987 W150, a really nice one for the most part.

11. JayhawkOne

JayhawkOne Well-Known Member

VW has used them in NA for a long while now

12. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Parents bought a Ford Fairmont back in '78-'79. As I recall the transmission eventually failed. Shortly after that they started buying Honda's (and later Hyundai) and never looked back.

13. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

That was the most recalled car ever, for a long time - I think there were 21 or 22 recalls on it. Engines failed rather frequently, too. It was Ford's version of the Volare, but... they got away with it!

14. Doug D

Funny thing is the Chrysler Neuport the Fairmont replaced was a far better vehicle. It's just that the Chrysler had a thirsty V8. That was the main reason they bought the Fairmont. It had a smaller engine - a V6 I believe.

15. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

As I remember, the most common engine used in the Ford Fairmont / Mercury ?Zephyr? was Ford's old 3.3 Litre inline 6.

16. Doug D

Well, I knew it was a 6 cylinder. My bad. I think the Chrysler was averaging 12-15 mpg while the Fairmont averaged 22 mpg.

17. Tin Man 2

Tin Man 2 Active Member

I had a Volare wagon 318 auto with paneling on the sides, great vehicle, just the right size. Good looking and comfortable.

18. kevin m. Henry

kevin m. Henry Active Member

I agree about the right size vehicle at the time, we had an Aspen wagon with the 225-2 barrel 4-speed. was a great car for a young family once my wife mastered the reverse lock out so she could get it into reverse , was an absolute tank in snow.

19. Stéphane Dumas

Stéphane Dumas Well-Known Member

Yup, the old 3.3 I6, the V6 arrived for the Fairmont derivated Fox-bodies the 1982 Granada/Cougar/T-bird and the 1983 small LTD/Marquis, Mustang.

20. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

Is it too late to re-test and deploy the Chrysler Dual Clutch ?

That one was a fluid-operated Dual Clutch, if memory serves.

You can understand Fiat wanted their products in the North American vehicles - it was already on the shelves, so to speak. But with the DDCT debacle and their discovery of the N.A. Market driving culture fitment problems I'd think that trotting the Chrysler Dual Clutch might work . Not that it would come out triumphantly riding a White Horse ...

I'm also unsure as to what engine displacement ranges it would be fit for.