AF: No FM '82 Lebaron | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No FM '82 Lebaron

Discussion in 'EEK! - Every Extended-K Car' started by iowa-k, Dec 5, 2019.

1. iowa-k

iowa-k Member

Factory AM/FM/cassette digital radio in my '82 Lebaron was sounding real bad so found a radio from an '83 Dodge AM/FM radio w/manual tuning in a salvage yard. Worked great (other than the tuning seemed to "wander") for a the last year and a half since I installed it. Right before I put it away for the winter the FM part quit working. I drove it in the late fall and I know it worked, my son drove it about a week later and said the radio didn't work. AM side still works. My son said he didn't touch anything other than the tuning knob to try to get some music. Thoughts on why the FM side suddenly quit working and how to fix?

2. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

If it was intermittent before it quit completely, it may be a poor solder joint or internal connector terminal contact? If the "ST" (stereo) indicator is out, it's likely an FM tuner/oscillator section issue.
    The circuit boards may have silkscreen print labeling the sections on the board to find the circuit areas.
    The old manual tuning AM/FM/Tape units are getting harder to find. If a part number label is still intact and readable, Sams Photofact might have a service folder on the radio that would assist in troubleshooting and identifying parts.
    Upgrading to a later digital display radio (ETR) is also pretty easy. You would need to splice in the new connectors (or make a plug-in adapter) and add a battery wire from the cigar lighter socket.

wolfsblood07 likes this.
  3. iowa-k

iowa-k Member

It just quit working as far as I can tell. Don't know about the "ST" light yet, never paid attention.

I have the MOPAR adaptor that supposedly lets me use an '84-'91(?) in my '82. Haven't tried it yet, but chrome faced '84+ AM/FM radios are getting almost as expensive as the "82-'83s so haven't bought one yet. My next step may be to "gut" one of my junk digital radios and try to install a newer one in its place.

4. Mister Audiovox

Mister Audiovox New Member

The truck I drive at work (1988 D-150) has an intermittant fm. It only works when it's cold. All winter it worked great until the heater warmed the cab up. The fm would work then make a high pitched whistle and go away. I have 9 Chrysler radios that I have replaced over the years and held on to. I tried them all only to find 6 had no fm and 3 had no am. I can't win. Spring has sprung and I am stuck with am. I guess it's time to go to Walmart and buy a thirty dollar Dual. They sound pretty good and have a usb on the front panel for an mp3 stick but no disc.

5. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

I would open it and reflow the solder joints, especially for the FM receiver chip.

6. iowa-k

iowa-k Member

My son got the car out so I took a closer look at the radio.

Turning the tuning knob when FM is selected the green "ST" light never lit up.

Had him leave it here at home so I can take this radio out (maybe repair if possible) and put the MOPAR radio w/adapter that I got and see if that works.

Getting pretty good at taking these radios in and out, this will probably the 4th or 5th time on this car.