AF: No Stock or SS at most NHRA Natl events for rest of year | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Stock or SS at most NHRA Natl events for rest of year

Discussion in 'Current Motorsports / Racing News' started by Beentherebefore, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

As per NHRA.........

Due to the ongoing uncertainty of the current pandemic, we have made the difficult decision to cancel Stock and Super Stock class eliminations at all Mello Yello Drag Racing Series events for 2020 with the exception of the US Nationals and the JEGS NHRA SPORTSnationals, outside Columbus OH. We plan to return to a more traditional schedule for Stock/SS Class in 2021. Thank you for your understanding and continued support. We look forward to seeing everyone at a race track somewhere as soon as we allowed to return to racing. Take care and be safe!

My guess is that they are looking at condensing their events to 2 or even 1 day each with only Pro classes, if they even get to race at all this year.

Glenn81 and stroudtom like this.
  2. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

3. dartndodge

dartndodge Well-Known Member

Call me weird..................but Ive always liked the look of those '78 LeBaron Coupes.
    They are stylish and muscular at the same time......love to see a modern version on a 300 base.
    Great to see one holding the torch in SS.
    Are they a "B" body or "F" body?
    Whats the specs on that particular red car?.
    Im surprised there not a million GM "G" body cars in those classes?? (Olds, Chevs etc)
    I think my favorite NHRA classes are the SS ones......
    But I like all sorts of cars.

4. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

We owned "twin" '79 LeBarons (only minor differences with the '78's) with the 360 V-8's - one for me and one for Mrs BTB. That's the same combo that is shown in the slide show. They were not particularly quick (Calif "smog motors") but that's why Mr Stephenson gets to race it all the way down in the K/SA class. They are definitely not "B-bodies", but were built on the same chassis as the Aspens & Volares with more luxurious trappings. We had mixed ownership experiences with ours. Reliability was not great - the "lock-up" automatic trans was problematic (Mrs BTB ripped the torque converter right out of hers and she is the proverbial "little old lady" driver) and I can't recall how many of the ECU computers we had to replace between the 2 cars. It was the first year for those and they were located in the air cleaner housing where they burned up from engine heat. They also tended to foul spark plugs regularly which hurt their street performance. Mr Stephenson will not be having to worry about that too much. Most Stock & SS racers I know change their plugs before every event, if not more often.

5. moparstockeliminator

Well as I hope most of you are now aware. We will indeed resume Stock/SS racer participation in NHRA National events starting at the Northwest Nationals in Seattle through the end of the season in Pomona...

Beentherebefore likes this.
  6. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Good news.

Speaking strictly for myself, I've always been more interested in Mopar Stockers and SSers than I have been in their (now) headline drawing Fuel cars. When I first started attending drag races at Fremont and Half-Moon Bay (circa 1962), Fuel cars weren't even allowed at NHRA events and the SSers and AFXers were the stars of the show.......and the Mopars RULED.

Shane Estabrooks likes this.
  7. Panterasr9

Panterasr9 Active Member

Damn been watching all the races this year. Not a SS in sight was one of my favorite classes besides funny car. On a positive note Dodge is killing it in funny car this year!

Mopar Jerry likes this.
  8. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Mopar Jerry likes this.
  9. Panterasr9

Panterasr9 Active Member

Saw the SS cars at Dallas this last weekend. Only saw 2 challengers but glad to see that class at all. One of my favorites. Hoping for a full season for them next year. Challengers are looking quick definitely contenders. I wonder how much boost those blown 345 hemis are running? I also wonder if they are forged bottom end I mean they would have to be right?

10. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Don't you mean the Factory Stock class?

Check the thread in this section - lots of discussion about their tech specs.