Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

North American Touring Car Championship 1996-1997

Discussion in 'Historical' started by Beentherebefore, Sep 24, 2014.

1. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member

I don't really have anything on DAVE ZELKOWSKI, I wrote Save Zelkowski last night, cant seen to edit??
    He was active on the SDML, SHELBY DODGE MAILING LIST, way back in the 1990's and was very helpful with all us 2.2/2.5 Turbo guys as he ran the Omni from Hell, the first 12 second Omni running factory parts. In technical stuff he often referred to the testing procedures etc. used concerning the Stratus Super Touring Car.
    Some of his writings are still available at "DONOVANS DODGE GARAGE",
    I cant seem to post a link, but a search will bring you right there, and scrolling down to the Turbo Data Base, down to Articles, down to Straight from the Factory, # 47, SDML discussions with Dave Zelkowski.

Cut and pasted from DDG.
    "Mr. Zelkowski was a regular poster to the Shelby Dodge mailing list from 1997-1999. After culling through thousands of posts by and related to him here is a summary of the more interesting topics... Dave was involved with or in charge of numerous projects (S-60 package, Stratus super-touring race cars, Indy Lebaron pace car, etc..) within Chrysler and I'm sure only a few of them are listed here... Dave is one of the unsung heroes of the auto industry who's good work is rarely seen..."

Thanks
    Randy

2. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Thanks..................I'll check out the site when I have time.

If he actually worked on those programs @ Chrysler, "Fast Eddie" must know him.

3. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator
    Level III Supporter

I agree with all your comments. It was very sad that the series did not survive.

The cars were based on real cars and the race engines were based on the stock engines

Mike

4. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

I knew Dave and worked with him for years. He was the king of the 2.2L Turbo. His GLH sent many Mustangs and Camaros and Firebirds and other assorted "muscle cars" home with their tails between their legs. He experimented and tried everything you can think of to make those 4 cylinders haul the mail.

5. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

Chrysler hired Pac West to form a team for the Touring car series. At the time Pac West had a 2 car team in the PPG Indy Car series. Dominic Dobson was hired as the first team driver.

6. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Here are some pictures of the Pac West team cars shared from a photobucket site;

Dobson Mopar touring car.jpg

This Dodge Stratus, driven by David Donohue, was the 1997 NATC championship winning car. 1997 was the last year for the series.

Donohue Mopar touring car.jpg

BTW, some of you may not know that David Donohue was the son of Mark Donohue who Fast Eddie posted some information about on the "1973 - Donohue & Matador take Winston 500" thread.

BASONE88 likes this.
  7. BASONE88

Supporter

Thank-you for posting those pictures! These are my favorite racing cars of all time. Also, just wanted to add, I believe the Stratus' (Strati?) finished one and two in that year of the championship.

8. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

A couple more shots of Dominic Dobson's Dodge Stratus Touring car in action (shared from Pinterest);

Dominic Dobson's Touring car in action.jpg

Dominic Dobson's Touring car II.jpg

BASONE88 likes this.
  9. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

10. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Just found these to share from Pinterest..........................

Stratus Touring car racing I.jpg

Stratus Touring car in pits.jpg

hemi_magnum likes this.
  11. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

This photo popped up on Pinterest and I didn't recognize the wrap even though I had watched the series on TV. I traced the link back to the "Bring a Trailer" auction site and it turns out that this is the car that David Donohue drove to the NATCC championship in 1997. It was then sold to Thomas Engstrom of Sweden who raced it in the Swedish TCC series with sponsorship from Mobil 1 and Chrysler dealers of Sweden.

Ex Donohue NATC car in Sweden.jpg