Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

North Carolina 1960 Savoy

Discussion in 'Welcome to Allpar!' started by Dougstermd, May 23, 2017.

1. Dougstermd

Dougstermd Member

So the Ex wife's father offered me a 1960 Plymouth savoy 2 door slant six three speed on the tree. Who is the classic Plymouth guy on this forum?

2. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

Welcome to Allpar. I'm by no means a go to guy on much of anything, but I love the 60 Savoy. One of my uncles had a 60 Belvedere when I was a kid and that was a great car. It was a slant six and automatic, though. Lots of guys here with years of experience on the classics. Of which you have if you get it. If you don't want it, I'll be happy to come get it.

3. Scrounge

Scrounge Well-Known Member

Welcome to Allpar. Chrysler introduced the alternator in the 1960 Valiant, and it eventually went to all of their vehicles later in the model year, but that doesn't mean that your Savoy has it. If it doesn't, there are simple instructions for the change somewhere on this site (it also involves changing the bracket and voltage regulator). If it has the generator, and you change to alternator, you might want to keep the generator and its hardware in case you decide to sell or trade, as Mopar people are generally sticklers for originality.

Even though a lot of these were built, body parts might be hard to find. If there's a good Mopar junkyard near you, you might become acquainted with them.

The slant 6 engine is one of the industry's best. Change the oil and tune it up at regular intervals (use Champion spark plugs and Standard points, condenser and rotor), and you'll have a reliable driver. One problem might be the ethanol in today's gasoline, which will probably make the carburetor need rebuilding more frequently. If you can find an NOS carb at a reasonable price, it might be a good idea to buy it for a back-up.

Mr. Fix it likes this.
  4. 71Charger_fan

71Charger_fan Active Member

I'd jump on that car assuming it is solid.

5. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

Hi, I'm classic and I'm crazy about Plymouths but not an expert. First car was a 1954 Belvedere, had a 1953 convertable, 1957 Fury, 1966 Valiant, and a 1968 Sport Satelite. Defected to Charger in 1969 but it was a hard choice over a Road Runner Coupe. Have a soft spot for the 1960 car, think you will have fun with it, surely stands out in a crowd of oldies. Dad had a 65 Fury 6 stick and first time I drove it I thought it was an 8 till I opened the hood. Always twisted the wrench on my cars but there are a lot more people here that go deeper than that. Think the chat section is the place to start, pictures help.
    Welcome aboard!

6. Mr. Fix it

Mr. Fix it New Member

That's a cool car
    I just purchased a 1960 Dodge Seneca with the same drive train zero options

jerseyjoe likes this.