Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not sure where to put this.

Discussion in 'Auto News & Rumors' started by hemirunner426, Dec 31, 2017.

1. hemirunner426

Level 2 Supporter

We have been dealing with some severe cold weather.As I see this all the time I thought I would remark on it.Just one block away from my house,two dead NON FCA products.A Toyota minivan and of coarse a kia being boosted buy a guy with a JK Wrangler.

This is so commonplace where I live I just had to remark on it,again.

Shane Estabrooks, danbek and suzq044 like this.
  2. hotmach

Level 2 Supporter

Yup, here to. Trip into local Walmart today saw a couple new Honda's needing jumpers. Below -30C/-22F cold weather issues arise. B in-laws new awd Genesis couldn't make it up a hard snow packed hill, seems control sensors were failing. I guess older cars are all equal as electrical get tired.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  3. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

That, and y'know.. "all-season" tires do not include snow/ice. lol

4. TripleT

Level III Supporter

Coldest day here -6 has saw more diesels along road and several Rams, my guess not the right fuel.

5. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

I just had to give a jump to a guy with a 90s Grand Cherokee. And about 2 weeks ago I had to give a lady with a Nitro a tow up the mountain. Neither had much to do with the weather, but I always have a chain and jumper cables to give someone else a hand.

UN4GTBL and Mopartial like this.
  6. jwp44

jwp44 Active Member

It is now 1245 am, 1 January, and the temp is 37 degrees F here in L. A. (Lower Alabama); that is nothing compared to what you folks up North have to deal with, but it's cold to me; to go outside, I bundle up like the kid brother in the movie Christmas Story (no BB gun for you kid--you'll shoot your eye out); but being in a warmer climate does have it's disadvantages; about a week or so ago the temp was in the high 70's and the Alabama State Birds were still swarming around my head, but not near as many as in summer months; I did learn to drive in the snow at Fort Dix, N.J.--saw more snow there in one winter than three winters in Germany.

Zagnut27 likes this.
  7. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

God bless remote start

JA Cumbo, suzq044, UN4GTBL and 3 others like this.
  8. FreeLantz

FreeLantz Well-Known Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

If you're battery is close to the end of it's lifespan already, when it gets really cold, it will die. Doesn't matter if it's in a Toyota, a Jeep, or a Hupmobile.

9. eggwhite93

eggwhite93 Impatiently waiting for new product.
    Level 2 Supporter

Sounds like you have taken a similar path as I have. I was statationed at McGuire for ever and now live in L.A. FL panhandle that is.

10. hemirunner426

Level 2 Supporter

very true...but up here we get a lot of Asian vehicles that just can't take the cold.

11. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Subzero temps put a tremendous strain on the battery regardless of make/model. Thirty years ago I experienced subzero temps in Denver for several days. The stat that AAA put out was 20 percent of vehicles would not start at -20 F and 80 percent would have problems at -40 F. This was for ungaraged vehicles. Woke up to single digits this morning. Even with a fairly new battery our Journey barely turned over.

It's usually the heat of summer that slowly kills batteries. It's when you need the extra cranking amps that you find out the battery is no longer up to the job.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  12. UN4GTBL

Level 2 Supporter

WHen my battery died a couple weeks ago in warmer temps than we have now, I didn't hesitate to replace it, as I knew it would only get worse...and it has. With the way things went when I tried to remove the 6 year old battery from my Caliber I'm glad I was doing it in my garage in a balmy -5*C than the current -18*C that we have right now during the day!

FreeLantz, somber and valiant67 like this.
  13. hemirunner426

Level 2 Supporter

I am sure you are aware that all batteries are not created equal.CCA...cold cranking amps.if FCA supplies better batteries than the competition,then that would be a feather in there cap,right?

I have lived my whole life in sub zero temps..i go ice fishing at -40 C or F,THEY ARE THE SAME.with a bit of wind it can easily hit.-50C.What I am saying is,in my lifelong experience my mopars start better than anything else in the cold.NOT plugged in,because you cannot plug them in,in the bush.

I have won money on betting that my truck would start when other peoples wouldn't.years ago before fuel injection it was an art.pump the carb just enough,so you don't flood it.lots of people couldn't figure it out.

old guys like me who live in the cold know exactly what I am talking about.

KrisW likes this.
  14. AvengerGuy

AvengerGuy Active Member

All I can say is that I live in the state just south of Michigan, Ohio, and am very glad that I have a garage. This seems to be the coldest I've experienced in a number of years. However, it is sitting out all day or night at work, but my Dart is new enough that there have been no issues.

15. KrisW

KrisW Active Member

Diesel fuel is very susceptible to cold weather, which is why there are multiple grades of cold-weather (down to -20C) and "arctic" (down to -50C) fuel available depending on the climate and time of year. (In Europe, as in much of the world outside the USA, the grade of fuel on sale at different times of the year is legally controlled)

If you get a cold-snap in a place that doesn't normally get such weather, or if you're a fleet operator who filled a large diesel storage tank with fuel back in the Summer, you could end up filling your truck with fuel that cannot stay liquid at the ambient temperatures.