Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Now I am smelling gas....

Discussion in 'GFAQ: G-Body Frequently Asked Questions' started by Scstables, May 1, 2013.

1. Scstables

Scstables Member

I suspect I could have a gas leak somewhere as when the engine is running I can smell it. Where is the first place to look? Thanks. I don't want my car catching on fire!

2. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

It could be anywhere, so you need to check everything. If there is no puddle or odor with the engine off, then the pump is pushing the gas out through the leak. Common places are: the rubber fuel hoses underhood from the metal fuel lines to the throttle body; the rubber fuel hoses at the fuel filter (which is underneath the car just in front of the right rear wheel); the rubber fuel hoses leading to the tank.

If none of the above, a metal fuel line could be rotted, and the worst rust is usually near the right rear wheel well. But it can be anywhere along the right side of the car.

Also possible is a tank leak, which can usually be smelled anytime, but might be worse with the engine running.

3. Scstables

Scstables Member

Thanks, Bob. I did not see any fuel leaking anywhere nor have I smelled any when the engine is off. However, when it was running today, I went to the right side of the car and took a sniff under the right wheel well (front). I got a strong odor of fuel. Plus it is eating more gas, so thus, fuel leak.

Is it dangerous to drive it three miles to the repair shop? I may pay $50.00 and have the shop pick up my car as I am scared of a fire. It is the only vehicle I have right now.

4. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

This is a TBI car, right? So it has supply and return rubber hoses that bend sharply on the passenger side of the engine.

Turn the key to ON (not START) to engage the fuel pump for 2 seconds and bring the fuel pressure up in the lines. Then turn the key off and go under the hood, and flex those rubber hoses. Look carefully for microcracks in the surface of the hoses, or places where fuel bleeds through. If you see either, replace them. Look also to be sure the metal lines don't leak where they screw into the throttle body. Also check the rigid and rubber tubing that goes along the right fenderwell to the vapor canister. Be sure the lines aren't cracked or disconnected.

Finally, if these are good, take the lid off the air cleaner and run the engine, and see if the fuel injector is dripping gas into the throttle body. There should be only a fine, cone-shaped mist.

5. Scstables

Scstables Member

My car has electronic fuel injection. Is a TBI a turbo? Sorry I can't remember. It just has a standard 2.5 liter 4 cylinder.

Any how, it was taken on a flat bed to the shop. The mechanics went over my car, and found it was just a vent that was backing up gasoline fumes. No fuel leaks at all!! Yeah! Luckily we know the owner, he did not charge us a cent because it was just an easy fix. I was like, wow, thanks!!!!!! I couldn't believe it! (I think they really like my car as they always remember my car and say "the daytona, right?" lol!)

Since it has been back, NO gasoline smell! :)

6. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

Very good. Was it the rollover vent at the top of the gas tank?

TBI stands for Throttle Body Injection - typically one or sometimes two injectors total, rather than one per cylinder. The injector is mounted in the throttle body instead of at a fuel rail at the manifold, like the turbos and more modern cars have.

7. Scstables

Scstables Member

Not sure which vent, I did not ask.

8. Scstables

Scstables Member

A strong odor fuel/oil smell is back. I am guessing a vent is clogged? Ugh. I hate this. I am not driving it that much anyways due to it's winter and I let it sit in the garage. I drive the old 98 Tahoe I now own in the winter (lost my 05 Tahoe thanks to the economy)

9. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

Good idea to check all the metal lines and rubber hoses for leaks.

10. Scstables

Scstables Member

When the guys checked it last summer, it was good. Can it spring a leak that fast?? Will get it checked again soon. I will be driving it today, hopefully it won't stink too bad...